LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 142 users in the forums

Defense currently top 5 in pass defense and rush defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by denali22:
We all know that we're outstanding against the run, but do you think we can keep a hold on the top 5 in pass defense? Especially since we yet to have our 6 games against the NFC-W QB's?

I don't think we hold onto top 5 but we should be better than last year (were we 16th?).

A few reason why it will be tough for the pass d:

1. Teams won't attempt to run on us much. We will have many more pass attempts on us. There are teams that are probably good in pass defense but are giving up a ton of yards rushing so you run on them. Not every team is balanced and if you can pass on them easier why run into a brick wall?

2. We will have blowouts where teams will be passing it like crazy trying to catch up.

3. The secondary might be better than last year but we are playing better QBs.

4. You get those late garbage time plays. Not saying this was one but look at the Bell 50 yard screen against the Lions. One person in the wrong position, you have a guy at say 150 all night and all of a sudden that really changes the stats.

5. Our style... we play to keep everything in front of us. We will let you dump the ball off... catch it underneath... we just don't want to give up the huge play. Dump offs really add up in yardage. We aren't going to contest every ball... some times we will let you just have it. example 3rd and 20... we give you cushion, give you 10-15 of the yards but you aren't getting all of them.

1) Its arguable, but I think teams have figured out that they must TRY to run the ball on us, and stick with it for offensive balance (vikings). Because when a team gets one dimensional against our D, they dont see do so well. (jets, lions, packers)

2) Good point.

3) Before the season started, I was like holy s**t. Rodgers, Stafford, Brees, Manning, Brady!? Isnt it weird that ALL these teams are having problems this year? I don't think we'll be having QB problems.

4) Yeah, we need to stay focused on that.

5) Thats what most teams pretty much do, however we should blitz more often, our defense is kind of vanilla..
Originally posted by Gore_21:
This one surprised me.

- 49ers are 9th in first downs with 91

I guess it makes sense since we are moving the ball in short chunks and not big plays to score. Still I wonder what our 3rd down % is? It's pretty low I think... means we are doing well on 1st and 2nd down. Although, the lions game I think we did well especially at the end of the game (with crabtree) on 3rd downs.

Not to me! Haha

Go here!

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/167613-analysis-1st-down-production-running-log/

We are a MUCH better team on 1st downs which keeps our playbook open on 2nd and 3rd downs. The Detroit game we sucked on 1st downs and were constantly in 3rd and longs but we executed very well that game on 3rd downs. I'm STILL waiting for the game where we are 60-70% on both 1st and 3rd downs.

The key on our first down production compared to last year? Many of them themselves go for 10+ yards (another 1st down)!
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM ]
NFC West is a defensive group of teams because they could see what SF did last year and Carroll and Fischer are defensive Head Coaches. That means that the formula works well. Low scoring, hard tackling, increased opportunities for turnovers, low risk offenses, good special teams. Now the great question for us is can we continue to develop the pass protection, and get better rhthym between Smith and the WRs? I think we can and will and our passing game will slowly improve over the season. Right now we are averaging 26 points a game. I would project we will stay in the high 20s to low 30s per game. That is quite a potent offense if your defense keeps teams in the teens. That is winning football.
I also did the math and our average points against us is 11. 26-11 is a pretty good score for us.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
NFC West is a defensive group of teams because they could see what SF did last year and Carroll and Fischer are defensive Head Coaches. That means that the formula works well. Low scoring, hard tackling, increased opportunities for turnovers, low risk offenses, good special teams. Now the great question for us is can we continue to develop the pass protection, and get better rhthym between Smith and the WRs? I think we can and will and our passing game will slowly improve over the season. Right now we are averaging 26 points a game. I would project we will stay in the high 20s to low 30s per game. That is quite a potent offense if your defense keeps teams in the teens. That is winning football.

Carroll is a wanna be copy cat douche.
Share 49ersWebzone