Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by denali22:
We all know that we're outstanding against the run, but do you think we can keep a hold on the top 5 in pass defense? Especially since we yet to have our 6 games against the NFC-W QB's?
I don't think we hold onto top 5 but we should be better than last year (were we 16th?).
A few reason why it will be tough for the pass d:
1. Teams won't attempt to run on us much. We will have many more pass attempts on us. There are teams that are probably good in pass defense but are giving up a ton of yards rushing so you run on them. Not every team is balanced and if you can pass on them easier why run into a brick wall?
2. We will have blowouts where teams will be passing it like crazy trying to catch up.
3. The secondary might be better than last year but we are playing better QBs.
4. You get those late garbage time plays. Not saying this was one but look at the Bell 50 yard screen against the Lions. One person in the wrong position, you have a guy at say 150 all night and all of a sudden that really changes the stats.
5. Our style... we play to keep everything in front of us. We will let you dump the ball off... catch it underneath... we just don't want to give up the huge play. Dump offs really add up in yardage. We aren't going to contest every ball... some times we will let you just have it. example 3rd and 20... we give you cushion, give you 10-15 of the yards but you aren't getting all of them.
1) Its arguable, but I think teams have figured out that they must TRY to run the ball on us, and stick with it for offensive balance (vikings). Because when a team gets one dimensional against our D, they dont see do so well. (jets, lions, packers)
2) Good point.
3) Before the season started, I was like holy s**t. Rodgers, Stafford, Brees, Manning, Brady!? Isnt it weird that ALL these teams are having problems this year? I don't think we'll be having QB problems.
4) Yeah, we need to stay focused on that.
5) Thats what most teams pretty much do, however we should blitz more often, our defense is kind of vanilla..