There are 344 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who was your favorite 9er who never panned out?

Immediately began to dislike Lawson after his first season. Guy was a bum and one of the most overrated players on this board.
Josh Morgan.

When I first saw him in pre-season games with the 49er's making all those acrobatic catches.

Little did we know that he would be prone to injuries.

He had a promising career with the 9er's but didn't pan out.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Ninerguy:

This has to be a joke. I mean, the guy ONLY had a Hall of Fame career with the Niners.

Didnt pan out. LOL

He left on bad terms though and we sucked for years after that. Even though he was great while he was here I would've liked to see him stay in SF
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
rod woodson. did nothing for us, he and kevin green were the last gasp for us in terms of big free agents, green was so so
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Immediately began to dislike Lawson after his first season. Guy was a bum and one of the most overrated players on this board.
this is very very true. we thought he was great at first but just shows you how bad we were
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Noirwar:
Lawrence Phillips
Eric Davis - Wanted him to stay
Taylor Mays
John Engleburger/ Jim Drunkenmiller
RW McQuarters
i respect all posters but really, phillips was actually a fav for you one time?
I really wanted to see a dominant trio of Rice Owens and Stokes but never happened :-( Wish they all would have peaked and panned out - would have been an ridic offense.
Saleem Rasheed
Kevin Barlow
Andre Carter
Jason Hill
Keith Lewis
Thomas Clayton
Originally posted by SFATeflonDon:
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
For me its the ones that started well and faded away.

Kevan Barlow- I remember being so impressed with him backing up Hearst.

I thought Jeff Ulbrich was as tough as nails... Even Derek Smith to an extent.

Derek Smith was a pro bowler with the 49ers, no?

No.
chet brooks. i thought he was gonna be special.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
alex smith

had high hopes for the kid

I was also gonna say him I was hoping he would be that franchise qb that we needed but it never happened.
I don't really get this thread. I don't think that you can say guys like Manny Lawson, Alex Smith, and Michael Crabtree didn't pan out. Too many fans are under the delusion that every first round draft pick should be All-pro. In reality, only about 2-3 picks out of each 1st round will be super-stars. The other 30 guys.... half pan out to solid professionals and the rest are busts. Smith, Lawson, and Crabtree have all panned out to be solid professionals.

Of the guys that truly didn't pan out (busts), I had the most hope for Taylor Mays. With his physical skills, I thought he would be a Patrick Willis type of player from the safety spot. Major let down.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Oct 2, 2012 at 10:57 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i will go old school.. help me guys,, the speedy olympic guy walsh got in 1983ish,. nehamai something.. i know i am struggling with this but i think you guys know who I mean. olympic sprinter, high hopes big bust
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
I don't really get this thread. I don't think that you can say guys like Manny Lawson, Alex Smith, and Michael Crabtree didn't pan out. Too many fans are under the delusion that every first round draft pick should be All-pro. In reality, only about 2-3 picks out of each 1st round will be super-stars. The other 30 guys.... half pan out to solid professionals and the rest are busts. Smith, Lawson, and Crabtree have all panned out to be solid professionals.

Of the guys that truly didn't pan out (busts), I had the most hope for Taylor Mays. With his physical skills, I thought he would be a Patrick Willis type of player from the safety spot. Major let down.
i think its a fun thread. I think the question is just about a guy you really had high hopes for that,"IN YOUR OPINION" never panned out. sure we can disagree with each other . i disagreed with a posters opinion of a player in lawrence phillips who was a favorite of his. i am sure some will disagree with sus and his opinion of alex but its fun to think about what we thought of players, " at the time"