There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Was the officiating better today?

I know the replacement refs have gotten a lot of flack, and rightfully so; they sucked. But let's not forget, our regular refs suck too. I thought there were some pretty bad calls/non-calls today.

The first that comes to mind is when Sanchez took off running and threw the ball a yard or two past the line of scrimmage. It was 3 and 15 and would have been big get them stopped there that early in the game, but no harm no foul at the end of the day.

The second was Aldon's personal foul. This happens though and has always happened. The refs always have seemed to get the guy retaliating, in this case Aldon shoved the guy off him, but miss the guy who is starting the s**t and then flopping. Aldon needs to learn to keep his emotions in check even when some guy is trying to ride his back after the whistle. I thought the call was really ticky tack, but it's nothing new.

The third was the illegal hands to the face called on Carlos Rogers. Again, this was after a critical third down stop that gave extra life on their drive. After review, the refs totally blew this call. In a tight game these can be momentum shifting calls. Luckily our play on the field was good enough to make these missed calls unimportant.
no

and we have been getting a s**t ton of penalties
Yes, but there was one call that took awhile to get right.

Overall, the less you think about / hear about the refs, the better they're doing. There were some questionable calls, but there will always be questionable calls and missed calls. The major difference is the regular refs administer the game much more effectively. That's the major difference. Human error is always a factor, but knowing the rules and being quick and efficient is the job of the refs.
Only one off the top of my head I didn't like was the Rogers one. 1st one any part of the body or ball has to be behind the line and I think his foot was. 2nd one they usually get the 2nd guy which is just the way it is.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM ]
It was ok, but hard to find problems with the refs during a blowout.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Only one off the top of my head I didn't like was the Rogers one. 1st one any part of the body or ball has to be behind the line and I think his foot was. 2nd one they usually get the 2nd guy which is just the way it is.

Oh, I didn't have sound and just assumed they blew it. I always thought the ball was the determining factor in the line of scrimmage rule but I guess not.
The officiating is better with the real officials. But it's not perfect.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Oh, I didn't have sound and just assumed they blew it. I always thought the ball was the determining factor in the line of scrimmage rule but I guess not.

Yeah, you would think that the ball should be but it's any part of his body or the ball. I think pretty much most of him was past it except half his back leg and foot. I will go back and check on game rewind though.
There was the Rogers play, and there was also the block in the side which they called a block in the back. They were also about to call a "helmet to helmet" on Goldson after he reached out to almost intercept a pass, but they conferred and got it right.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Yes, but there was one call that took awhile to get right.

Overall, the less you think about / hear about the refs, the better they're doing. There were some questionable calls, but there will always be questionable calls and missed calls. The major difference is the regular refs administer the game much more effectively. That's the major difference. Human error is always a factor, but knowing the rules and being quick and efficient is the job of the refs.

+1
NO, these guys are just as bad IMO and always have cost teams games and have been biased.

Why we still don't get calls is beyond me. Our wr's hardly ever get that cheap holding call on the db's that you see all the time in other games. Sucks!!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Scott Hanson on the Red Zone channel said that the officials overall had a bad day. I'm guessing if the replacements were still refereeing, the lead on Sports Center would be how the league has lost all integrity. But since they are the regular refs they are kind of getting a pass for having a bad day.
the flow of the game was better
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
the flow of the game was better

This is the only improvement
They are probably a little rusty but the flow of the game and the calls is much better. At least it was for our game. Really only the Rogers call. At least they say a number when making a call and they don't take an hour. Although, I would say at times they are a little to eager to pull flags out especially the whole defenseless receiver thing.