LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

defense has regressed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by adembroski:
He said they've regressed. That's a relative phrase. To this point, they haven't been as good as last year. They're the best defense in the NFL... last year they were among the best of the last ten years. A bit better against the pass, and they'd have been in the '85 Bears/'02 Ravens discussion.

So, yeah, they've regressed... but that doesn't mean they're bad. Aldon Smith and Justin Smith haven't been quite as dominant. That's the main difference. They looked good against the Jets, though, so maybe that gets them back on track.

Except they're giving up fewer total yds, yds passing, points, and 1st downs per game than the first 4 games of last year.
I don't think the defense has regressed one bit. I think they just had a bad game because they were sitting in base 3-4 the entire game. This defense was built to play Nickel.

When Walsh built the WCO, teams like the Cowboys built their team for one reason: Stop the WCO.

Teams like the Pack and the Saints and the Eagles took a WCO (not so much the Saints, but it ends up being the same thing) and turned it into a vertical offense. This defense is built to sit in the Nickel with an extra DB and generate pressure with 4 men. That's why we drafted Aldon.
If what they did yesterday is regressing...I want more, lots more. I would like to see more pressure on the QB...that would make a lot of us happier.
If you want to put this on someone, say Fangio...and ALL DONE. Fangio used him in coverage a lot in Minn, and we lost. There never was that jail break, bad azz,bullrush, with Aldon in the backfield all day. So I say, you want to call it a 3-4, that's fine, but let Aldon bullrush all 3 downs and let somebody else cover. Hey, he can play the run just fine. He can cover. But he is superhuman when it comes to bullrushing and that is what we had in NY and didn't have in Minn. Leave the kid on the field for all plays except punts, and turn him loose. Call it a 3-4, but let him bullrush and play it as a 4-3...and let someone else cover. Aldon is that rare package of monster strength and massive speed. Like they say, "speed kills". Unchain ALL DONE...let him bullrush on every play.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Except they're giving up fewer total yds, yds passing, points, and 1st downs per game than the first 4 games of last year.

Poor comparison. The first four games of last year they'd had no training camp, no preseason, and hadn't played together.

I'm not saying they wont end up being as good... they just haven't been to this point. They need to get a few more weeks away from that Minnesota game before I'm ready to say they're as good as last year. I just don't see the havoc in the backfield. I don't see Aldon Smith and Justin Smith dominating, and without that, our coverage is exposed (not saying we have bad DBs, I'm saying our defense is built to allow underneath completions and force the opposing QB to be perfect or turn it over... that only works with a dominant pass rush).
[ Edited by adembroski on Oct 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM ]
There was nothing wrong with our defense in Minnesota.

The quarterback escaped our pass rush. Watch the game again, we were all over him, but he escaped it with his feet. And there is definitely nothing wrong with Aldon Smith. Him and Ray Mac have been completely dominant.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
There was nothing wrong with our defense in Minnesota.

The quarterback escaped our pass rush. Watch the game again, we were all over him, but he escaped it with his feet. And there is definitely nothing wrong with Aldon Smith. Him and Ray Mac have been completely dominant.

just thought i'd like to bring this back for a bit

hopefully it continues against the NYG
lol regressed so much that its been 3 weeks since someone scored a TD against them, or had over 250 yards of offense for that matter lol
Can we lock this up yet?

3 points in 2 games. Yes, our defense has really regressed.

Two games 3 points. Which is exactly what this D is suppose to do against 2 bottom dwellers.
[ Edited by Allx9er on Oct 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Two games 3 points. Which is exactly what this D is suppose to do against 2 bottom dwellers.

Are you serious? The Bills were one of the better offensive teams in the league, Fitzpatrick was leading the league in TD passes and their running game was top 3....until they showed up in Candlestick yesterday.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Are you serious? The Bills were one of the better offensive teams in the league, Fitzpatrick was leading the league in TD passes and their running game was top 3....until they showed up in Candlestick yesterday.

Yup. They were averaging 28 ppg, which was best in the league
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Yup. They were averaging 28 ppg, which was best in the league

Their offense put up big numbers but we knew or shoulda known they weren't going to be able to run the ball. Being able to take advantage of a 1 dimensional passing team is right in the niners wheel house.

How can suggest that the bills D isnt bottom dwelling at this point?
  • buck
  • Veteran

The Bills offense is not exactly bottom dwelling. Before playing us they were averaging around 28 points a game.
Share 49ersWebzone