There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We are not the same team as lat year, so maybe our expectations should change?

WE ARE WHO WE THOUGHT WE WERE!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
WE ARE WHO WE THOUGHT WE WERE!

and we let em off the gire!
the difference is we aren't going to sneak up on anybody and just beat them. Teams will play smarter, more physical, and are going to be better prepared...
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
WE ARE WHO WE THOUGHT WE WERE!

and we let em off the gire!
That's why we took the damn field. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'm play devils advocate but we aren't much different than last years team because we are experiencing many of the same problems as before.

1. Inconsistant offensive line play. Alex is still under pressure most of his throws.

2. No big play WR. Randy Moss was brought in to stretch the field vertically. Let's face it, this hasn't happened. We are left with left with three bigger possession receivers who often struggle to get the separation needed to make Alex feel comfortable....although Crabs has looked faster this year. Thank god we have Vernon.

3. Despite Alex working on his mechanics and footwork, he still struggles to make the second and third reads, buckles under pressure and misses receivers usually throwing too high.

4. Same ultra conservative game plan on offense. We can only go to the well so many times. Example: After we had the ball on the 11 yard line following Kyle Williams KO return we ran three PUTRID plays. Problem is that we were behind and needed a TD. Instead throw the ball into the endzone 3 times and hope for a score. Afterall, weren't we practicing Red Zone plays all offseason? I'm still scratching my head on that series of plays.

Left unchanged can we still win a boatload of games? Sure because of our defense. But at some point these things NEED to be addressed.

Very nice post.

I like your second point, in particular. AGAIN! our receivers, just aren't running after the catch. That's inexcusable given our run (or should-be) run heavy offense. At least VD is breaking tackles this year.

As for the conservative playcalling, I do know one thing: I want to slow the game down and give the O-line a chance to use it's bulk. We have abundant weapons for third down throws. I'm not so sure about this pass happy stuff.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Very nice post.

I like your second point, in particular. AGAIN! our receivers, just aren't running after the catch. That's inexcusable given our run (or should-be) run heavy offense. At least VD is breaking tackles this year.

As for the conservative playcalling, I do know one thing: I want to slow the game down and give the O-line a chance to use it's bulk. We have abundant weapons for third down throws. I'm not so sure about this pass happy stuff.


Well you don't have to go pass happy to succeed. We DO have to develop the intermediate passing game tho and these should be a very comforable throws for Alex to make with regularity. Admit it,now when we get a passing play over ten yards most of us are pleasantly surprised.


Problem is that we've had PLENTY of time to correct this shortcoming. I'm praying that our coaches aren't entering the Zone of Blind Arrogance.
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'm play devils advocate but we aren't much different than last years team because we are experiencing many of the same problems as before.

1. Inconsistant offensive line play. Alex is still under pressure most of his throws.

2. No big play WR. Randy Moss was brought in to stretch the field vertically. Let's face it, this hasn't happened. We are left with left with three bigger possession receivers who often struggle to get the separation needed to make Alex feel comfortable....although Crabs has looked faster this year. Thank god we have Vernon.

3. Despite Alex working on his mechanics and footwork, he still struggles to make the second and third reads, buckles under pressure and misses receivers usually throwing too high.

4. Same ultra conservative game plan on offense. We can only go to the well so many times. Example: After we had the ball on the 11 yard line following Kyle Williams KO return we ran three PUTRID plays. Problem is that we were behind and needed a TD. Instead throw the ball into the endzone 3 times and hope for a score. Afterall, weren't we practicing Red Zone plays all offseason? I'm still scratching my head on that series of plays.

Left unchanged can we still win a boatload of games? Sure because of our defense. But at some point these things NEED to be addressed.

I believe it was the play calling on offense. There doesn't seem to be any flexibility. The announcer on TV were saying the opposing CB was playing 15 yards off of Randy Moss. Take what the defense gives you and hit Randy underneath the CB for 8 to 10 yards at a time until the opposition takes it away from you. They threw it to Randy, then went back to another play that the 49ers offense apparently had scripted and ran it into the line