There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Finally Time to Blame HARBAUGH !

Everyone looked tired except KW. Hopefully its just the letdown after two huge games against SB contenders.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by mella8:
I was very disappointed in Harbaugh today. I think he actually bought into this team's current success primarily by playing conservative, and that plain sucks. One of the reasons why Harbaugh is credited with the turnaround last year is bc of his ability to improvise and take chances. It was this fiery unpredictable personality that made a cellar dwellar into a contender.

Today, on 2 drives where he shouldve and couldve gone for it on 4th and 1 (both drives we were moving the chains easily), he opted to kick (1 was blocked). On several drives, he decided NOT to take advantage of a weak Vikings secondary deep. On several passing plays, we could easily see the defense giving Moss a 15 yard cushion --- only to have either Moss not get a throw OR have him on the sidelines the very next play.

And it kinda makes sense. Last week, we marched down the field in 4 plays (opening drive) and scored on Detroit. After that, we went into conservaball mode, killing the clock and letting Det hang around. I think Harbaugh has detracted from his style of coaching and has bought into the conservaball approach this team has been relying on these past few weeks. It's the same approach that Singletary used, except he was adamant on pounding the ball, whereas Harbaugh has allowed Smith to make low risk passes.

I hope he gets back to what made this team successful to begin with.

You can't blame this all on Harbaugh. Roman calls the plays remember. Lets not forget...Alex runs the offense and is responsible for throwing the ball.
lol fully agree with this. Harbaugh is the coach, not the guys on the field. Doesn't matter what play you call if they don't get it done. You guys get mad, we run to much, than you get mad when we throw and get 3 incompletes in a row lol never going to be happy are you!
Originally posted by Garcia:
Worst coached game of his tenure for sure.

He got outcoached by, IMO, by the worst coach in the NFL.

I question some decisions late in the game.... Conservative play calling after KW's big kick return.
Punting with 2 score deficit and 6 min left from bout mid field
4 minute offensive playcalling (alex smith?) Running when you need to conserve time.

thats just the tip of the iceberg
I dont know if Leslie Frazier coached the offense to beat the Niners....Sorry but Leslie seems more intellectually challenged than Singletary... if anything Musgrave (OC) called a beautiful game from the Vikings perspective. Moreover Roman is calling some VERY VERY predictable calls and not really challenging the DBs of any of the teams we've played so far....The lack of scoring in the last two games can probably be attributed to Roman's conservative calls and really playing into the hands of the defense...No creativitiy at all these last 6+ quarters on offense.
Originally posted by Ninerwinner:
I dont know if Leslie Frazier coached the offense to beat the Niners....Sorry but Leslie seems more intellectually challenged than Singletary... if anything Musgrave (OC) called a beautiful game from the Vikings perspective. Moreover Roman is calling some VERY VERY predictable calls and not really challenging the DBs of any of the teams we've played so far....The lack of scoring in the last two games can probably be attributed to Roman's conservative calls and really playing into the hands of the defense...No creativitiy at all these last 6+ quarters on offense.

Exactly! I was having flashbacks of 2010 the creativity was so boring.
it happens...get the f**k over it.
I noticed every time after a loss, Jim's voice gets lower and softer with a far away look in his presser. Must be eating at him inside after a loss.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I noticed every time after a loss, Jim's voice gets lower and softer with a far away look in his presser. Must be eating at him inside after a loss.

That's because he's thinking:

Is it time to start the Kapper?
Did any one ask JH what his plan was and why they played the game the way they did? I am curious to know what JH plans to do in the future to not allow this to happen again.
Originally posted by 9inermaniac:
Did any one ask JH what his plan was and why they played the game the way they did? I am curious to know what JH plans to do in the future to not allow this to happen again.

I doubt that would be something he would just tell anybody ... that would be stupid then teams would know just what we were going to do.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

That's because he's thinking:

Is it time to start the Kapper?

The criticism of Smith (by some) is that he doesn't throw deep. My recollection of Kaepernick is that he has no touch on his deep ball. He throws line drives that do not afford receivers time to run under.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
it happens...get the f**k over it.
good advice, I have and i think alot of it had to do with the fact that the players thought it was ten am in the morning,, we midwest people are used to it but you west coast guys are pussies
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Harbaugh actually called an ok game. All the going for field goals turned out to be just right. We were on our way to take the lead until Gore fumbled in mid field. He made some good decisions we just couldn't take advantage of our breaks.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mella8:
Originally posted by dj43:
Give credit where it's due. MIN finally took advantage of our main weekness on D and that was the short flats. They also had a good player to throw to there in Harvin. Combine that with Ponder extending plays and making plays off his feet and our Defense got stretched.
Now include the fact that our QB doesn't have some of the intagibles their QB displayed along with MiN not turning it over and thy Ninered us but had better QB play than we normally do.

You have most of the facts correct but your anti-Alex filter led you to a wrong conclusion in the end.

Yes, Harvin made a difference but it wasn't the QB that made the difference. Harvin is a game breaker at all levels. The threat of him going deep, along with the speed of Michael Jenkins, forced the safeties to stay deep. That, plus the lack of a pass rush, opened up a lot of things for the Vikings.

Contrast that with the 49ers who have no deep threat receivers, and you have the difference in QB play. A lot of people, including NFL announcers, talk about the deep threat of Randy Moss. I don't see it. He is NOT a deep threat any longer, at least not in the way Harbaugh/Roman are using him. True, CBs are giving him a free release off the line but he clearly did not scare Minne at all.

To make matters worse, Manningham has NEVER been a deep threat and neither is Crabtree. Davis can beat any LB and many safeties but he was held in to help pass protection yesterday so his threat is eliminated. Jenkins can't seem to get on the field, so who does Alex have to throw to deep?

I couldn't tell for sure on the TV screen but I did not see any evidence of the 49ers even calling any deep routes yesterday. Of course that makes sense if you know you have no receivers who can get open deep but it does make the offense much more predictable.

In short, the biggest culprit in the loss was the play selection of Roman. At some point you MUST send someone long to keep the defense honest. He didn't do that that I could see. If Moss no longer has deep speed (which is what I suspect) then get Jenkins on the field.

It does no good to have all these "new weapons" if you are not going to use them. So far, all we have seen is a much improved Michael Crabtree. Manningham and Moss have done very little. The 49ers have three possession receivers and a TE that can go deep but is often forced to stay in and block. That isn't going to get the job done. We say what the threat of Harvin did, and we also saw how that worked in the Ravens game with Jones and Smith. Time for Harbaugh to open things up.

Just a few observations Id like to add to that after rewatching the game. I disagree with the 'no deep route call' notion. After watching the first half, I came to a conclusion that Harbaugh did exactly what a lot of people were asking him to do. He decided to "unleash" Alex, and the plan backfired. The majority of plays were pass, and MIN defended it beautifully. Alex threw the ball to a receiver (quite a few times) before receivers had even adjusted their route. Yes, there were times where Alex was rushed bc of poor blocking and he had no choice. But there were plays where he either (a) didnt let the receivers go deep bc he threw it too quick, or (b) checked down early. Other times the receivers were defended well or as I said the pass rush was too quick.

I think it was a failed misiion, and Harbaugh (realizing this) tried to adjust the gameplan back to conserva-mode as much as he could, but at that point he was fighting the clock and apparently Christian Ponder (still dont get how he lit us).

I expect Harbaugh to bring Alex right back underneath his shell, and we're gonna play it "safe" from now on out.

Did you actually see receivers on deep routes? From what I could see on the TV screen, there were no obvious deep routes called. Every time they showed a pass play, all the receivers were accounted for on short or mid-range routes.

Also, the 49er OL was dominated by the Vikings. For the first time in two years, the 49er lines on both sides of the ball, lost the LOS. Hard to do anything, especially on offense if you have no time to throw the ball. Ponder, OTOH, on 37 pass plays was not sacked once. No team will win under those circumstances.
Originally posted by dj43:
Give credit where it's due. MIN finally took advantage of our main weekness on D and that was the short flats. They also had a good player to throw to there in Harvin. Combine that with Ponder extending plays and making plays off his feet and our Defense got stretched.
Now include the fact that our QB doesn't have some of the intagibles their QB displayed along with MiN not turning it over and thy Ninered us but had better QB play than we normally do.

You have most of the facts correct but your anti-Alex filter led you to a wrong conclusion in the end.

Yes, Harvin made a difference but it wasn't the QB that made the difference. Harvin is a game breaker at all levels. The threat of him going deep, along with the speed of Michael Jenkins, forced the safeties to stay deep. That, plus the lack of a pass rush, opened up a lot of things for the Vikings.

Contrast that with the 49ers who have no deep threat receivers, and you have the difference in QB play. A lot of people, including NFL announcers, talk about the deep threat of Randy Moss. I don't see it. He is NOT a deep threat any longer, at least not in the way Harbaugh/Roman are using him. True, CBs are giving him a free release off the line but he clearly did not scare Minne at all.

To make matters worse, Manningham has NEVER been a deep threat and neither is Crabtree. Davis can beat any LB and many safeties but he was held in to help pass protection yesterday so his threat is eliminated. Jenkins can't seem to get on the field, so who does Alex have to throw to deep?

I couldn't tell for sure on the TV screen but I did not see any evidence of the 49ers even calling any deep routes yesterday. Of course that makes sense if you know you have no receivers who can get open deep but it does make the offense much more predictable.

In short, the biggest culprit in the loss was the play selection of Roman. At some point you MUST send someone long to keep the defense honest. He didn't do that that I could see. If Moss no longer has deep speed (which is what I suspect) then get Jenkins on the field.

It does no good to have all these "new weapons" if you are not going to use them. So far, all we have seen is a much improved Michael Crabtree. Manningham and Moss have done very little. The 49ers have three possession receivers and a TE that can go deep but is often forced to stay in and block. That isn't going to get the job done. We say what the threat of Harvin did, and we also saw how that worked in the Ravens game with Jones and Smith. Time for Harbaugh to open things up.

Ponder did not have more offensive weapons than we have. On top of that, he extended drives throwing to receivers other than Harvin. He made more plays than Alex did, simple as that.

And to think we didn't call deep passes is false. We called the same usual number of big hit plays. Alex hit on one, missed two (did not throw to one), and MIN covered one well.

The difference in the ball game was Ponder's mobility and ability to extend plays. All they needed was a handful no different than us using a handful to win our games. However, Ponder did it more outside the design of the play whereas Alex HEAVILY relies on a play design.
blame everyone except Alex ! wow