LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Lions' Safety Wendling Fined for QB Hit

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Knew this would be coming...From Cam Inman's column

The bridge of Alex Smith's nose took the hit, and now the NFL has taken $7,875 out of Detroit Lions safety John Wendling's paycheck.

Wendling delivered a forearm smash into Smith's helmet Sunday that resulted in a gash across Smith's nose in the final minutes of the 49ers' 27-19 win. A league spokesman said Wendling's fine Friday was for "unneccesary roughness; he struck an opponent late."

To me...total BS. Not only do the replacement refs miss the obvious call but they call a holding penalty on us for the play. THEN, the league fines the guy an abusrd $7,875 (where'd they get thta # from??) while Alex Smith is fined (later rescinded) $15,000 for wearing a SF Giants hat because it's not the same apparel company that has a partnership deal with the league.

This league is just backwards.
If we see that team again Alex Smith is gonna make that dudes anus bleed
League ain't backwards. It is a business, trying to make money. They don't actually care about the players safety.
It's about time they fined his stupid a$$ for that hit! Yet another 49ers victory over the Lions, they should be used to losing by now.
They never fined A Smith for wearing a hat. They indicated that they will if he does in the future. But here's the kicker, isn't New Era the maker of the SFGiants hat? The same maker of the NEW NFL hats?????

Originally posted by kidash98:
They never fined A Smith for wearing a hat. They indicated that they will if he does in the future. But here's the kicker, isn't New Era the maker of the SFGiants hat? The same maker of the NEW NFL hats?????

So who was the one who was complaining about the hat thing? Is it the NFL not wanting to see other sports gear on their players? Or was it the hat maker or was it the SF Giants?
Going to the QBs head after he is on the ground, having slid feet first, seems more blatant than $7,875. Quite obvious it was intentional and that he had plenty of time to pull off.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
"holding, offense"
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Going to the QBs head after he is on the ground, having slid feet first, seems more blatant than $7,875. Quite obvious it was intentional and that he had plenty of time to pull off.

I still can't believe it didn't draw a flag. These refs are way to hesitant to throw the flag. I would rather them throw a couple that aren't needed than hold back on blatant calls like this.

Best cut of the game
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM ]

Surprised and not surprised it wasn't called a Late Hit. But didn't we score on that drive with Alex to Vernon?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Surprised and not surprised it wasn't called a Late Hit. But didn't we score on that drive with Alex to Vernon?

Yeah they did. I am proud of Smith manning up and getting a TD with his face covered in blood. The good ol $2 steak.
Do you guys remember the first cards game last year when Willis got a personal foul call for that hit on Skelton on 4th and 10 as Skelton was going hard for the first down?

Then we give up a TD soon after and lose the shutout. Irked me a lot and then to see the hit on Alex be a non call is BS
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Do you guys remember the first cards game last year when Willis got a personal foul call for that hit on Skelton on 4th and 10 as Skelton was going hard for the first down?

Then we give up a TD soon after and lose the shutout. Irked me a lot and then to see the hit on Alex be a non call is BS

Looks like we are stuck with the noob refs as it looks like the NFL isn't budging.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by kidash98:

So who was the one who was complaining about the hat thing? Is it the NFL not wanting to see other sports gear on their players? Or was it the hat maker or was it the SF Giants?

NFL

Share 49ersWebzone