LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Does the Niners' success/turnaround still feel a bit surreal to you?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does the Niners' success/turnaround still feel a bit surreal to you?

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I'd say it stopped being surreal, for me, after the Eagles game last year. Now I'm watching a machine. They play the kind of football I love, and the scary part is that they have not scratched the surface of how good they can be.

THIS
I get nervous as hell coming into each game, still waiting for us to get embarassed like ol times....

But, like older times, that feeling of dominance and confidence is slowly coming back.

Its happening fellas. SUPER BOWL RUN
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I get nervous as hell coming into each game, still waiting for us to get embarrassed like ol times....

But, like older times, that feeling of dominance and confidence is slowly coming back.

I really don't see the 49ers ever getting embarrassed as long as they have the talent and coaching staff that exist in that locker room. They may have a bad first half but that will be fixed at half time. I just don't see anyone blowing out this team.
Last year I thought was going to start off slowly with Harbaugh building the teams confidence and improving week to week. I didn't think it would happen as quickly as it did. Holy crap was last season surreal. This season I expect these guys to win.
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Last year I thought was going to start off slowly with Harbaugh building the teams confidence and improving week to week. I didn't think it would happen as quickly as it did. Holy crap was last season surreal. This season I expect these guys to win.

THIS
No.

1) We got a real GM. Not fake pretenders like before.
2) We got a real HC. Not a loser.
3) We started drafting well instead of missing on all picks.
4) We develped the players we DO HAVE instead of throwing them under the bus and yelling at them hoping they get better.

This is what is supposed to happen. You get better.

What astonishes me is they finally figured it out and got the right people in the place. In the front office. I thought it would never happen. But if it did I thought we could turn it around.
What's crazy to me is that there are legitimately 24 dudes on this team right now whom if they made the pro-bowl, it wouldn't really be surprising - each member of the entire nickel defense (and we all know how well Sopoaga plays when he, uh, plays) + Alex Smith, Gore, Miller, all 5 OL, Vernon, Crabtree, Akers, Jennings, and Lee. Nearly everyone that's been getting consistent snaps has been playing at a pro-bowl (if not superstar) caliber level so far
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I get nervous as hell coming into each game, still waiting for us to get embarassed like ol times....

This is me to a T. I still cant get the butterflies out of my stomach at game time. I am waiting for that confidence like I had in the Montana/ Young era. Of course I was a kid then and my heroes would never lose...but still its getting there. A couple more wins against big time opponents and I think I will get more comfortable with people calling us a favorite to win it all. Right now though, I am scared of people giving us too much too early.
Agree with those who say signing Harbaugh was the surreal, or special, moment. Just as when Walsh came from Stanford bringing his incredible knowledge and teaching ability, I was ecstatic when JH was hired.

The surprising thing in the Walsh years is that it all seemed so effortless, intelligently done. The players were not dominant in the first super bowl win--they were a machine with precision. The current team was in much better shape player wise though. They just needed someone with a plan, vision, AND the ability to teach. Nolan had a plan, Singletary had a vision but they both lacked the other two ingredients.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agree with those who say signing Harbaugh was the surreal, or special, moment. Just as when Walsh came from Stanford bringing his incredible knowledge and teaching ability, I was ecstatic when JH was hired.

The surprising thing in the Walsh years is that it all seemed so effortless, intelligently done. The players were not dominant in the first super bowl win--they were a machine with precision. The current team was in much better shape player wise though. They just needed someone with a plan, vision, AND the ability to teach. Nolan had a plan, Singletary had a vision but they both lacked the other two ingredients.

Yeah, the Harbaugh signing was an amazing event. Sheer madness here, though!

I am loving this turn around , this makes up for 2004 and 2005 ...the two most painful seasons I had to endure as a Niners fan

Harbaugh FINALLY brings some aggressive and creative playcalling, the last time I felt this confident in our offense was in 1994
well deserved is more like it....
I have a mixed reaction. So "no" because with the on-field talent and coaching quality we now have, our success is not surprising. But "yes" because this happened so quickly, like almost instantaneously after we put in a new coaching staff and GM. The speed of the turnaround is what has my head spinning.
Similar to a lot of you guys here it stopped being surreal late last season once I realized how much of an affect JH had on our squad. Someone in another thread pointed out we're using practically the same squad that Sing coached awfully and we had a losing record. Once I saw how the change at HC affected our playstyle and confidence, I knew this guy was a blessing.

So JH brought that surreal affect with his talent and from then on I knew we'd be great. As far as my expectations at that point, JH didn't even have me thinking SB, I just looked at us play and thought win. Keep winning, keep on winning, and we did that throughout the entire season. Sing said he wanted winners, he got the boot and we brought one in. This turnaround was hard to believe and up until now I do get a little anxious before certain games and plays but as long as we keep winning then any nervousness is irrelevant.
[ Edited by rEspEctdA49ers on Sep 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by sk8052:
It's just great being able to read and watch the postgame stuff now because usually were on the winning end. Long gone are the weeks where I would steer clear of football all week after another crushing loss.

Key words being "crushing loss". That was the other thing about back then. It was rarely just a flat out loss. They'd have to toy with your emotions and make each loss as excruciating as possible. Whether it was climbing back in the game only to give it away, or starting with a lead and blowing it, the team almost lived to torture us then!

Favre.... Anger.
Share 49ersWebzone