There are 192 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Turning Point | 49ers vs Lions Week 2

Originally posted by NCommand:
Awesome video...a few games too late but whatever. I wonder, for us, when did YOU see the turning point?

It was actually a harbinger of things to come. The guy is an Academy of Art student and this was playing before the season began
Awesome video...a few games too late but whatever. I wonder, for us, when did YOU see the turning point?

December 14th... 2006.

@ Seattle... great comeback from SF with three 4th quarter TDs. That's when I really felt the kid would be plenty good if the team could just add some real talent.
LOL at the very end...how Davis was "cradling" the ball on the TD run.

Every late game TD makes him feel like he's back to the Saints game with the Vernon Post.
Originally posted by Youngb:

indians don't eat beef doe...
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

That guy looks like he is on the Jeffrey Dalmer diet.
I didn't have any strong feelings about Smith when we drafted him, though I wanted him to do well because he was our guy. I was ready to write him off as a bust in '08 not because of anything he did specifically but just because I had never really seen a high draft pick like him come back from where he was--I had in my mind guys like Akili Smith and Joey Harrington. By the time 2011 started I figured it would be the same old Niners, so when they lost in OT to the Cowbosy and a couple weeks later went down 23-3 in Philly I wasn't shocked, just disappointed...so when I saw the little scores scrolling along the bottom of the screen as the game went on (I lived in VA and was too cheap to spring for Sunday Ticket) going 23-10, then 17, 24!! I really took notice. Something had changed, this was not the same old team! When they stomped the Bucs the next week, and followed it up with the 4th down TD against Detroit I knew they were for real. There are so many moments last season really that can be ticked off...Camp Alex, the Eagles game, Detroit, the (first) Giants game where Gore was shut down and Alex came out slinging, the Saints Divisional playoff...and of course this season now. Hell of a story and I am so glad we are here to witness it
Rewatching that game, we are sooooooooo capable of making every drive like our opening drive. This could have easily been a 45-12 blowout. We scored our first TD in 4 plays, and that included an incomplete pass on the first play. Then we went into milking the clock mode, slowing down the game, etc...and it kinda let the Lions hang around. Im not complaining about our offensive strategy --- Im well aware this team is built on clock management "run first / pass second" mentality, but still. Sometimes I feel like it's so easy (felt the same way vs that Packers) but we just hold ourselves back just so we can kill the clock a bit.

I hope as the season progresses, we start mixing the 2 styles. Id like to see us slow the game down (bc it plays into our strengths), but once in awhile it doesnt hurt to suckerpunch the opponent with a quick strike TD.

Fun season.
Originally posted by mella8:
Rewatching that game, we are sooooooooo capable of making every drive like our opening drive. This could have easily been a 45-12 blowout. We scored our first TD in 4 plays, and that included an incomplete pass on the first play. Then we went into milking the clock mode, slowing down the game, etc...and it kinda let the Lions hang around. Im not complaining about our offensive strategy --- Im well aware this team is built on clock management "run first / pass second" mentality, but still. Sometimes I feel like it's so easy (felt the same way vs that Packers) but we just hold ourselves back just so we can kill the clock a bit.

I hope as the season progresses, we start mixing the 2 styles. Id like to see us slow the game down (bc it plays into our strengths), but once in awhile it doesnt hurt to suckerpunch the opponent with a quick strike TD.

Fun season.

There's a debate to be had over the effectiveness of the slow strangle--which we've been using the last couple games--and quickly breaking the neck and burying them (under an avalanche of points)

Steak does not equal beef. Never had a tuna steak?
Just an awesome video! Gets me so pumped up about our 49ers!
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

Steak does not equal beef. Never had a tuna steak?

how about a tube steak?

another video i really liked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BqiGNycmUI&feature=related
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by mella8:

Fun season.

There's a debate to be had over the effectiveness of the slow strangle--which we've been using the last couple games--and quickly breaking the neck and burying them (under an avalanche of points)
Had the receivers caught the balls they dropped, it would have been the blowout that Mella said, so I don't think the slow down thing would have kept it close if we would have had those points.
I initially thought the turning point for Alex was in 2006 at the end of the season against Seattle, with that bootleg run really standing out in my memory. Then, he had the ongoing shoulder injury in 2007 and didn't even play in 2008. I was at the game in Houston in 2009 and Shaun Hill looked like he had cement blocks on his feet. Alex almost made it a comeback before I blacked out (I still remember the final score, 24-21 with VD having 3 2nd half TDs). I had always supported him and told everybody I knew that the next season was his breakout season. After that Philly game in 2010, I thought he was done in SF. I always believed we would part ways after 2010 and he would go on to a team with a real coach and have at least mild success there. I'm glad he came back and has had this success under Harbaugh. It's amazing what coaching can do for a player.
Originally posted by EezyNiner:
I initially thought the turning point for Alex was in 2006 at the end of the season against Seattle, with that bootleg run really standing out in my memory. Then, he had the ongoing shoulder injury in 2007 and didn't even play in 2008. I was at the game in Houston in 2009 and Shaun Hill looked like he had cement blocks on his feet. Alex almost made it a comeback before I blacked out (I still remember the final score, 24-21 with VD having 3 2nd half TDs). I had always supported him and told everybody I knew that the next season was his breakout season. After that Philly game in 2010, I thought he was done in SF. I always believed we would part ways after 2010 and he would go on to a team with a real coach and have at least mild success there. I'm glad he came back and has had this success under Harbaugh. It's amazing what coaching can do for a player.

I'm surprised I didn't bring up the Seattle game myself. I was THE only Niner fan in the stands that day...then again, there were only a couple hundred Seattle fans there as well. It was monsoon conditions. In fact, the field was a water bed; it was so bad they actually called the Commissioner and asked if they could postpone it. It was a nationally televised game so they couldn't. I agree, that was really the first glimpse of "man" in Alex. In fact, Gore even made mention that Alex became a man that day. And then Norv left, Gore cried and it was all down hill from there. I don't know if any QB, high school, college, NFL, etc. has ever gone through the adversity he has and come out the other side like Alex has. I saw an interview with he and VD together and Alex was cutting VD up w/o hesitation. You could just "see" the attitude difference, leadership, competitive nature, etc. Thank God...nobody is more deserving (along with Gore) to have sustained success. Let's hope a little luck is on our side this year (freaking Giants) and we get to the Super Bowl!