LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 421 users in the forums

Big Play Ability

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Uce_Almighty:
Right off the bat I thought of the Kyle Williams quick hitch-56-yarder in our home game against the Rams last year.

That's the first thing I though. The man covering him didn't even get a hand on him. Williams is just so quick and fast, it's ridiculous.

I don't know how he can't get more open more often on shorter routes with his skills.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
His release against detroit didnt seem to slow, but something costas and collinsworth were mentioning was Harbaugh preaching to Alex take what the defense gives you. I think almost all of our receivers have the ability to make those plays, it will just take a little bit of time, getting the offense tuned and all on the same page, I see further along in the season, Crabtree being able to make some plays like that, he looks hungry for big plays. I am on board with believing for now Moss is our distraction for the defenses until they loosen up on him and try to get tighter on Vernon, Crabtree or Manningham, then Moss will be our big deep target, I can also see Ginn possibly becoming our deep threat, but thats going to depend on his catching abilities, cuz excuse me if you disagree but if Williams continues to be efficient on ST and Ginn's catching ability hasnt improved enough I can see Ginn gone before the end of the season.
Bolded, I agree completely, plus he seems to get hurt pretty easily and one thing we found out last year; we need someone we can count on to be there when we need them. Especially when stakes are sky high.
AJ is the key piece. Moss is under wraps or maybe he's lost a step or two. Crabtree is finding his niche, Manningham is much better than I expected. He's going to shake loose very soon. Vernon gets one on one coverage and take it to the house. Watch AJ, when he gets some PT he'll bust out and then there's no keeping him off the field. LJ will take a screen to the house when he gets his shot.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we're still missing that stretch the field player. I really think KW is fast enough to do it but at the moment, it's only been VD which I'm sure causes major headaches for D Coordinators.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by zillabeast:
I agree with Kowboy in that Manningham will ultimately be the key to all of this. Alex has never, ever had a corps of receivers that have gotten as open as often as they have in the first two games. He has missed quite a surefire bomb touchdown passes, and I'm sure he's seen it on the GB and DET film as well.

As Alex adjusts to making reads he never had before the plays will come. For now he's still falling into old habits, playing it safe, and there's nothing wrong with that. I believe Harbaugh and Roman have told Alex that when he feels comfortable, let loose. The play calls are being made (go watch each game if you don't believe me), Alex simply hasn't pulled the trigger to anyone other than Vernon yet.

I know it sounds like rookie-sophmore QB stuff, but you have to remember Alex went to the school of offensive retards for six years before this. Just learn to accept he's still figuring it out, and hope that he continues to show progression.

This isnt only about long bombs. Think quick 5 yard slants that get broken off or a screen that goes the distance.

Yeah I remember the Niners and rams on a Monday Night game where Montana passed to J Taylor twice for like 5 yard passes that ended up 90 + yd TDs against the Lambs....

As for QBs throwing the LONG Bombs...what did that ever get for J George or D Pasterini? 2 guys that could throw it a mile yet neither one ever really won anything...
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
we're still missing that stretch the field player. I really think KW is fast enough to do it but at the moment, it's only been VD which I'm sure causes major headaches for D Coordinators.

KW doesnt have that deep speed he is more quick than fast he can be a deep threat but i dont really see it

i think our best player for this is ginn
Big plays are great, and I think they will come in time as the offense really comes together. For the time being, I'm liking the longer grueling drives that wear down the opposing defense, while giving ours a rest. Also, keeping the opposing offenses cold works to our favor as well.
Yea we all miss seeing the YAC after each catch. Looks like it's still to early, the guys are just learning their roles in this expanded offensive scheme. Sure it's the second year, but we've added a few new pieces on the offensive side which will take some time for the guys to gel and know what each others responsibility is. I say, Mid season we will see the training wheels coming off. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and the team can just focus on getting better and continue in trying to reach their full potential.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
That's why Jenkins and James were drafted and Moss was signed, to add big play explosion to the offense. It's not going to happen right away as they need to perfect the more foundational aspects of the offense first before going big. Manning tried to do that tonight and look what happened. Every week we're going to see more vertical aspects and soon this offense is going to be very hard to stop.

I get the Jenkins and James picks but even going back to last year...when have we broken off a long ass play that makes people go
hasnt been our style, were more the type of offense that cuts a defense up with the little stuff so the defensive coordinator starts pulling his hair out
I think some of our guy have that ability - VD for sure. It may happen, frankly, not even a concern.

BUT - the more we keep playing like this then the more the opposing teams will game plan for it, which should open up the opportunity for the BIG play.

Originally posted by zillabeast:
I agree with Kowboy in that Manningham will ultimately be the key to all of this. Alex has never, ever had a corps of receivers that have gotten as open as often as they have in the first two games. He has missed quite a surefire bomb touchdown passes, and I'm sure he's seen it on the GB and DET film as well.

As Alex adjusts to making reads he never had before the plays will come. For now he's still falling into old habits, playing it safe, and there's nothing wrong with that. I believe Harbaugh and Roman have told Alex that when he feels comfortable, let loose. The play calls are being made (go watch each game if you don't believe me), Alex simply hasn't pulled the trigger to anyone other than Vernon yet.

I know it sounds like rookie-sophmore QB stuff, but you have to remember Alex went to the school of offensive retards for six years before this. Just learn to accept he's still figuring it out, and hope that he continues to show progression.

Like the way you describe the previous O-Coordinators and totally agree (with exception to Norv Turner).

I believe Alex and this offense will take off as the season goes on......... Too many weapons not to.........
Have been very happy so far with the progress of the entire O.

Wr's have stepped up and are getting better seperation. I think our scheme is helping with that and the extra year in the system is also part of the new improvement by all.

Teams are still going to stack the line and blitz until we continue to beat them with quick strikes.

With that in mind, our wr's will have to stop dropping so many balls, they equal drive killers but I suspect this will iron itself out!

Once the D is backed up a bit, our O will be more wide open with deeper drop backs by Alex and more time for him to throw the deep balls.

Work in progress but I think we can all agree that things are looking up, way up for this entire unit!
time to activate the rookies
We need more of those plays that Harbaugh has Kapp run in the preseason. I don't remember the let time we had a really long pass to a WR.
Manningham caught tons of deep balls for the Giants, he comes here and the best we can do through 3 games is hand the ball off to him on a reverse for 29 yards. We know what Moss can do(or used to)...

Sooner or later you have to take shots down the field.
Share 49ersWebzone