LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 168 users in the forums

Big Play Ability

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Didn't want to start a thread for a question but what the hell.

Outside of Vernon I cant remember any other players have very long plays from scrimmage. Has anybody broken anything off and went the distance....even going back last year? Those little 5 yard ticky tack plays that guys break for 60 or a 20-30 yard pass that a WR runs away from everybody and scores....why don't we get those?

Do we just not have the speed on the field to exploit it?
Are the plays not getting called?
Are we just not lucky with those kinds of plays?
That's why Jenkins and James were drafted and Moss was signed, to add big play explosion to the offense. It's not going to happen right away as they need to perfect the more foundational aspects of the offense first before going big. Manning tried to do that tonight and look what happened. Every week we're going to see more vertical aspects and soon this offense is going to be very hard to stop.

As for the 5 yard to the house type plays, we saw that from Davis in the playoffs a few times for sure, but until now he was the only one with that kind of ability.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Sep 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM ]
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
That's why Jenkins and James were drafted and Moss was signed, to add big play explosion to the offense. It's not going to happen right away as they need to perfect the more foundational aspects of the offense first before going big. Manning tried to do that tonight and look what happened. Every week we're going to see more vertical aspects and soon this offense is going to be very hard to stop.

I get the Jenkins and James picks but even going back to last year...when have we broken off a long ass play that makes people go
I agree with Kowboy in that Manningham will ultimately be the key to all of this. Alex has never, ever had a corps of receivers that have gotten as open as often as they have in the first two games. He has missed quite a surefire bomb touchdown passes, and I'm sure he's seen it on the GB and DET film as well.

As Alex adjusts to making reads he never had before the plays will come. For now he's still falling into old habits, playing it safe, and there's nothing wrong with that. I believe Harbaugh and Roman have told Alex that when he feels comfortable, let loose. The play calls are being made (go watch each game if you don't believe me), Alex simply hasn't pulled the trigger to anyone other than Vernon yet.

I know it sounds like rookie-sophmore QB stuff, but you have to remember Alex went to the school of offensive retards for six years before this. Just learn to accept he's still figuring it out, and hope that he continues to show progression.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Didn't want to start a thread for a question but what the hell.

Outside of Vernon I cant remember any other players have very long plays from scrimmage. Has anybody broken anything off and went the distance....even going back last year? Those little 5 yard ticky tack plays that guys break for 60 or a 20-30 yard pass that a WR runs away from everybody and scores....why don't we get those?

Do we just not have the speed on the field to exploit it?
Are the plays not getting called?
Are we just not lucky with those kinds of plays?

Vernon can do it obviously. Gore has done it. Hunter can do it. Crabtree has done it. Kyle Williams has done it. Obviously Moss can do it. Manningham can probably do it.
Our players can make big plays, we just have to stay patient. If we keep hurting teams with the underneath stuff, we'll begin to open it up. Most of the passes caught by our WR's have been plays designed to get first downs. Crabtree was close to breaking a couple of plays. Also, teams like to use the cover two against us. We just need to keep doing what we're doing as we get more confident with our offense.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM ]
Originally posted by zillabeast:
I agree with Kowboy in that Manningham will ultimately be the key to all of this. Alex has never, ever had a corps of receivers that have gotten as open as often as they have in the first two games. He has missed quite a surefire bomb touchdown passes, and I'm sure he's seen it on the GB and DET film as well.

As Alex adjusts to making reads he never had before the plays will come. For now he's still falling into old habits, playing it safe, and there's nothing wrong with that. I believe Harbaugh and Roman have told Alex that when he feels comfortable, let loose. The play calls are being made (go watch each game if you don't believe me), Alex simply hasn't pulled the trigger to anyone other than Vernon yet.

I know it sounds like rookie-sophmore QB stuff, but you have to remember Alex went to the school of offensive retards for six years before this. Just learn to accept he's still figuring it out, and hope that he continues to show progression.

This isnt only about long bombs. Think quick 5 yard slants that get broken off or a screen that goes the distance.
Right off the bat I thought of the Kyle Williams quick hitch-56-yarder in our home game against the Rams last year.

This isnt only about long bombs. Think quick 5 yard slants that get broken off or a screen that goes the distance.

Yeah, I miss YAC as well. Rice and Taylor spoiled us. Manningham is a long strider, but Alex does him no service by staring at him followed by a slow release. When you telegraph your intentions to a defense like that, it's hard to catch anyone by surprise.

Old habits. Hopefully they will die off.
Originally posted by Uce_Almighty:
Right off the bat I thought of the Kyle Williams quick hitch-56-yarder in our home game against the Rams last year.

8 games ago....seems like an eternity
kyle williams had a long RAC touchdown last year on a comeback route

damnit, need to learn to read whole thread before posting....

It was a perfect route and a perfect pass. That is what it takes in the NFL to break a big play, even for the best receivers.

The way I look at it, it's like picking up a new or different type of game than you've ever played before. Think of a lifelong shooter gamer picking up a flight simulator for the first time. Now, the player has skills because they've been a gamer all their life, but this new control layout is going to take a while to master. In time, the player should be able to play the flight sim just as effortlessly as the shooter, but it will be a while after that before they master it.

I think after one season of the offense the team is in a place where they're comfortable running plays, but are not yet masters of the scheme. Only real-game experience provides an adequate environment to master the game. The talent is there, and they are learning fast, really fast. I think by seaason's end this offense will look nothing like the one we've seen in the first two games. They still won't be as flashy - under Harbaugh they never will - but they will be running like a well oiled machine. Then we will be unstoppable.
His release against detroit didnt seem to slow, but something costas and collinsworth were mentioning was Harbaugh preaching to Alex take what the defense gives you. I think almost all of our receivers have the ability to make those plays, it will just take a little bit of time, getting the offense tuned and all on the same page, I see further along in the season, Crabtree being able to make some plays like that, he looks hungry for big plays. I am on board with believing for now Moss is our distraction for the defenses until they loosen up on him and try to get tighter on Vernon, Crabtree or Manningham, then Moss will be our big deep target, I can also see Ginn possibly becoming our deep threat, but thats going to depend on his catching abilities, cuz excuse me if you disagree but if Williams continues to be efficient on ST and Ginn's catching ability hasnt improved enough I can see Ginn gone before the end of the season.

The way I look at it, it's like picking up a new or different type of game than you've ever played before. Think of a lifelong shooter gamer picking up a flight simulator for the first time. Now, the player has skills because they've been a gamer all their life, but this new control layout is going to take a while to master. In time, the player should be able to play the flight sim just as effortlessly as the shooter, but it will be a while after that before they master it.

I think after one season of the offense the team is in a place where they're comfortable running plays, but are not yet masters of the scheme. Only real-game experience provides an adequate environment to master the game. The talent is there, and they are learning fast, really fast. I think by seaason's end this offense will look nothing like the one we've seen in the first two games. They still won't be as flashy - under Harbaugh they never will - but they will be running like a well oiled machine. Then we will be unstoppable.

Very valid points. I just want to see somebody out wiggle the D and take one on raw athletic ability. I dont think Gore has the top end speed to run away from a D like he used to. But the other guys...Williams, Crabs, Hunter should be able to break away from a few tackels and just go.
Share 49ersWebzone