LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Why All of the Drops with the Catchable Passes?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Because its only the first two weeks of the season
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:

we had these issues last year

its been a problem for a while

last year we were #2 in drops

so far this year we are again #2 in drops
delanie walker f**king sucks
I think the team is still grasping the concept of the WCO, which relies heavily on YACs. It was easier to have guys like Rice, Taylor, Craig, etc. who had good hands and put priority on securing the ball first before they ran for the chains, but now you have a lot of young guys on this team trying to make plays before the ball even comes to them. Of all the drops, I think Walker's are the most troublesome bc he seems to drop them in the flat without making a subsequent receiver move. Guys like Hunter and Manningham will adjust accordingly as they become more accustomed to the scheme and realize that there's always another down to play for. Regardless, I wouldnt compare these drops to what this team was going through 3-4 years ago, where the problem was blatant and guys were just dropping balls when they were set. This is more of a drop in motion where guys are running routes and just take their eye off the ball to see whats going on downfield.

Not bothered about it yet, but may become an issue if it continues come week 10-11 of the season.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

almost all of out big runs are thanks to his blocks
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

almost all of out big runs are thanks to his blocks

oh right, i almost forgot that no other TE can block like him. nevermind his 50 drops a game.
I wanted to start this thread because we have a problem - too many dropped passes, just like we have too many sacks on the oline. We know the history of V. Davis and his stone hands but he at least acknowledges it and puts time into the Juggs machine to work on this issue. D. Walker has had this problem as well but it appears more of inconsistent attention with an occasional good play. Gore seems to have this problem as well - starting to run before the ball is caught and secured. I just wanted to talk about it and see if everyone else was seeing the same issue that I am seeing. I am hoping that these are just issues of getting settled into the new season but I sure would like to see this stop, along with the sacks on the oline. But time will tell.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
that cocks sucker delanie walker aint worth a s**t.
Originally posted by jreff22:

we had these issues last year

I'm not worried in the least. We're already dominating games, the steam roller is just getting started

I read somewhere there were 7 drops officially if those don't happen Alex would have been 27/31 for an 87% completion percentage. That's efficiency!
Originally posted by susweel:

nah dude, apparently he's "the most underrated player".....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

nah dude, apparently he's "the most underrated player".....

I've defended him in the past but these drops aint cool.
Guys are too anxious to make plays and that's when drops happen. There isn't just competition for starting jobs but now for targets...this puts some stress on players. I think it will get better as the year progresses and players start to settle in and realize the few targets they get are worth gold.

In other words...they will get use to the pressure!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 18, 2012 at 5:26 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Guys are too anxious to make plays and that's when drops happen. There isn't just competition for starting jobs but now for targets...this puts some stress on players. I think it will get better as the year progresses and players start to settle in and realize the few targets they get are worth gold.

thats the reason they are anxious
Share 49ersWebzone