LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers Through Week 2

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade the 49ers Through Week 2

• Jiks
I would have to say B+ myself. Just some small errors, that don't quite deserve the A. Small things like catching passes, and making the endings harder than they should be. Just need to focus on execution and I think we'll be ok. Besides a few nit-picks here and there, I'd have to say were doing a fantastic job. Just still room for improvement which is pretty scary.
Starting to get more and more love...

A, only because there is room for growth as the team goes along the season. A win on the road at greenbay, and then at home against the Lions, is not a terribly easy start to the season, and we are 2-0, in a pretty dominate fashion.

If i were to compare us on a scale to the rest of the league its A+. Thats not just the Homer in me. I truely beleive that this team is far and way the best in the league this year. Noone can beat us but ourselves.
A-

we are close but not there yet
A-

if it werent for dropped passes it would be A
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
A- dropped passes.
A+ because we are 2-0 against playoff caliber teams.

However, dropped passes and special teams are areas of concern. Overall, we have been awesome!

Side note... where are all the Smith haters now? I'd say it's time to fess up and eat crow.
Originally posted by blm7754:

However, dropped passes and special teams are areas of concern. Overall, we have been awesome!

Side note... where are all the Smith haters now? I'd say it's time to fess up and eat crow.

The more noteable ones have been MIA for two weeks after showing up after 4 th preseason game
Originally posted by blm7754:

I am not as worried about the drops as I am about the coverage teams. They have been allowing too much return yardage and just don't seem as dominant. I hope it gets better, and that we don't miss Jones and Costanza that much.
As for the Smith haters, they could always use the excuse that Alex is hitting his receivers in the hands and it surprises them so much they drop the balls.
A from me....but the Defense get a A+++ faced 2, 5000 yard passers held rodgers to 303 yards and stafford to 230 yards.... Just Great Defense.

I gave the team a straight B. Too many drops, penalties, a handful of some crucial failed 3rd down plays, also the defense let up some which showed up in each half of play, and maybe a few coaching mistakes in the Lions game. We all know this was a blow out early, but the stats and scores don't show it. Still a decent game though. In the Packers game, i think we played a really good game against the Packers(The Darling of the NFL IMO) in all phases except Special Teams which i feel we've regressed compared to last year. So a straight B is what i would give em. Still a ways to go before we start giving em off the charts grades.
[ Edited by Bleed49ers4Life on Sep 18, 2012 at 7:15 AM ]
  • Bodhi
  • Veteran
A. We're definitely the best team in the league, but there's room for improvement on special teams and fixing all the dropped passes.

A+ to me would be something like the 2007 Patriots after 7 games.
The more I think about it - the more difficult it becomes. In my heart an "A" however,

Is "A+" = Perfect? What about the other designations. If A+ is perfect then I'd say C+ or B-.

On the surface a B+, we are so much better than last year and have improved everywhere. The INCREDIBLE thing is we are no where near in hitting our potential.

BUT if we go by the "A+" being perfect

C+ for the Offense - WAY too many dropped passes, missed 3rd downs, too many sacks
A for the Defense - Zero big plays, no rushing TD's, multiple sacks, multiple passes defended, bone crushing hits
B for Special Teams - giving up too many yards on returns, Hunter fumble
B for coaching - We have let GB & Lions hang in there when we should have shoveled the dirt on them. Both those games should have been won by 3 TD's.

We are so much better than them - they couldn't carry our luggage yet they were keeping it too close for comfort.
I'd say A-. Cause we still have room to improve. I must admit, I'm not a huge A.Smith fan, but he has impressed me more this year than ever before. He's become dependable. The statement of the niners winning in spite of him is not true now (at least over the first 2 wks).

Anyways since I'm a glass half empty kind of guy, here are my complaints
- Altho the pass defense has looked better this year, the pass rush has been inconsistent and not as dominant as last year. Both the Smiths dont look like they're dominating. Although thats partly because of the scheme they're using. I fear how we'd do against a team like the Giants if we're not simply dominant in the front seven.
- Willis hasnt been the dominant force he has been in the past
- I really think we need to get Moss involved. That'll add a scary dimension to the team. People can key off of V.Davis as our only deep threat. This would be a completely different dimension, if Moss got involved.
- We cant seem to make play action or flea flickers work very well - We're good w/ the short to intermediate stuff in the passing game. I think that the deep route is the least important of the three, but its still needed
- Blow open a game w/ the deep pass and continue scoring ferociously after you've taken the lead.

Those are my only complaints. So if you really think about it, the niners are doing damn well. The run game, the defense (and especially the pass defense) have been really good.
B+ --- still havent shut teams out completely yet. Hope as the season progresses, we can take full advantage of our defense and take teams out with our offense before the half. If you can throw another team off their gameplan, then you know you've really damaged them. Im not sure we've done that yet through week 2.
Share 49ersWebzone