LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Did no one on the coaching staff...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SFBlue:
I agree Bleed49ers4life. Judging by Harbaugh's reaction it didn't seem planned, but then again hard to know for sure.

Designed, timeout was even called before the onside kick to see how the lions set up
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
I am pretty sure Harbaugh and Seeley were daring them to kick that. A lot of fans gaffe at KW for what happened against the Giants, but remember KW was on ASUs baseball team. He did a good job tracking the ball down. I think that played showed the type of confidence this staff has in KW.

I don't see the correlation here... baseball...football?
[ Edited by zomg_its_ryan on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:38 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Yep, they showed the formation to the Lions. Then even took a timeout so as to give the Lions a chance to talk it over. Lions took the bait. Instead of an on-side kick the Lions wanted initially, they took what Seely had already planned for --an over the top kick. Which Kyle recovered all by his lonesome with out any traffic around him.

All by his lonesome? Did you not see the Lions (not just one) right by him when he recovered it? They were the reason he had to slide to recover it in the first place. I know you're trying to defend the coaching staff, but let's not make stuff up here.

Didn't mean to make it up. It was my impression by memory. I've looked at it again. He did have one Lions down the side line right behind him about 5yds after he was on the ground around the ball. The rest of the other Lions were about 10yds behind. Williams knew exactly where to go. He followed the ball when it was kicked. My point still stands. The coaches and players knew and intensionally let it happened to avoid an on-side kick.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 17, 2012 at 7:45 AM ]
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
I am pretty sure Harbaugh and Seeley were daring them to kick that. A lot of fans gaffe at KW for what happened against the Giants, but remember KW was on ASUs baseball team. He did a good job tracking the ball down. I think that played showed the type of confidence this staff has in KW.

I don't see the correlation here... baseball...football?

Seriously he just had to fall on the ball
were you worried because it was kyle?
and it was obvious they took the time out to tell the players to be ready for the pooch.
And thats what went on and they were ready for it.
GAME OVER

NOT WORRIED
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 99problems:
were you worried because it was kyle?
and it was obvious they took the time out to tell the players to be ready for the pooch.
And thats what went on and they were ready for it.
GAME OVER

NOT WORRIED
of course this is true. maybe on fake turf it would have been different but they knew the field and they had confidence in the players. good job kyle
  • sfout
  • Veteran
They wanted them to pooch kick it -- its more likely we recover it that way then if they kicked it normally. We had faith we would just out block them and that KW would beat them to the ball.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I think you're missing the point. This took away the onside kick and placed that awkward bounce safely in our backfield. It's still a gamble, but this is a hedge on your bet. It makes a lot of sense, when you break it down.

It's not a formation that you want to run when a field goal will tie the game.

There wasn't anything safe about it. If KW doesn't get that ball, Detroit does
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
All by his lonesome? Did you not see the Lions (not just one) right by him when he recovered it? They were the reason he had to slide to recover it in the first place. I know you're trying to defend the coaching staff, but let's not make stuff up here.

Yeah i saw the Lions by him AFTER he was already on top of the ball for a second.
[ Edited by Jcool on Sep 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I think you're missing the point. This took away the onside kick and placed that awkward bounce safely in our backfield. It's still a gamble, but this is a hedge on your bet. It makes a lot of sense, when you break it down.

It's not a formation that you want to run when a field goal will tie the game.

There wasn't anything safe about it. If KW doesn't get that ball, Detroit does
I agree. Also if you noticed when the camera panned to the sidelines after the onside kick, you could see Harbaugh talking to Seely and Harbaugh seemed to say "WOW" in what appeared to be a questioning look on his face.Seely was flappin his gums pretty quick. Harbaugh also commented to the media today about how a couple things need to be fixed or players need to be in position when he was asked about the onside kick (can't remeber his exact words). I think not only we the fans were a bit surprised but so was Harbaugh.

It was stupid and overly risky. I love the coaching staff but if you've played football you know the ball can bounce ANYWHERE in ANY DIRECTION. Luckily it had a straightforward bounce and Kyle was able to dive on it but if we do that every time, we will get burned.
It rules out the clean recovery option for the kicking team. normal insides can be recovered cleanly by the kicking team if the ball gets a high bounce.

We just took that option away from them. Therefore, we improved our odds of recovering.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
that was scary. Dude from the lions was right there if KW hadn't secured it. They should never do that again. Always keep one player back there.
Share 49ersWebzone