LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Did anyone count the drops?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I forgot to tape the game while I watched it at the bar, but my buddy and I noticed that there were a ton of drops (either no-reason-to-miss-it type or just very catchable balls that were not caught). I was wondering if anybody had the tape and could list the drop results. Here are the incompletions and what I remember happening:

1st Q
(13:37) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short middle to 85-V.Davis. (first offensive play of the game, I don't remember why it was incomplete)
(:53) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith FUMBLES (Aborted) at DET 17, and recovers at DET 34. 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short left to 10-K.Williams. (This was a throw-away after a bad snap)

2nd Q
(8:41) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short middle to 15-M.Crabtree. (I think this was a drop)
(2:53) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete deep left to 85-V.Davis (31-D.Florence). (deep ball, hits davis in both hands but he doesn't stick it)
(2:10) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short middle to 32-K.Hunter (55-S.Tulloch). (I think this was a drop)
(1:33) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short right to 21-F.Gore. (I think this was a drop)
(1:29) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short middle to 10-K.Williams (55-S.Tulloch). (Linebacker arrived early but no penalty)

4th Q
(15:00) 67-D.Kilgore reported in as eligible. 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short right to 49-B.Miller. (I think this was a drop)
(14:56) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short right to 46-D.Walker. (I think this was a drop)
(14:51) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short middle to 82-M.Manningham. (I count this as a drop, should have had it easily. Was right in the hands)
(6:44) (Shotgun) 11-A.Smith pass incomplete short left to 21-F.Gore. (This one gore wasn't looking and it hit him in the hip/leg. If he looks it's probably a completion).

So by my count, out of 11 incompletions I have 1 throw-away, 7 drops (or ball-hits-hands-no-catches, if you like), 1 not sure, 1 good defensive play (or penalty missed), and 1 miscommunication.

The main thing to take from this is there really isn't 1 bad throw in the whole game, which is pretty amazing (unless that first throw was bad, I don't remember).
maiocco tweeting like a b***h about the drops
  • Garce
  • Veteran
s**t happens.

These guys will get better.

I have a feeling they just keeping Moss under a blanket for when we really need him.
He's gonna be unleashed at some point.
The drops were ridiculous, but hey, it happens, good to see them overcome it, I'm more concerned about special teams and their coverage teams......
At least 4
I checked in at the half and noticed that there was some discussion about Smith putting too much mustard on the ball. I chuckled and thought back to Steve Young's habit of drilling passes that should've killed Brent Jones.

Eventually Jones and the rest of the receivers learned to capitalize on Young's arm strenght. With time, I'm sure our receivers will do the same. Crabtree obviously is, and it's a pleasure to see him playing September football for a change.

Frankly, Smith's ability to laser a ball is thrilling. In time, the team will catch up to it.

[Edit]I ask this every year, but where is Brent Jones? He would be a great catching coach for this team.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Sep 16, 2012 at 11:35 PM ]
manninghams gator arm attempt was the one that irks me the most, VD shoulda had that long pass even tho the db was there. way too many drops by our guys tonight. alex woulda had a 100 more yards and probably some more scores
Share 49ersWebzone