There are 235 users in the forums

Jumbo formation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hope Roman creates a spin off this formation. Everybody has definitely seen the damage it has caused and eventually, other teams will counter by adding some beef up front too. I'm hoping they create a play action version, where VD or someone is able to leak out and get deep.
I agree, the play action off this is obvious. The challenge is who releases down field? If it is one of the jumbo players it's not going to be a deep throw because they don't have the speed. The play last year where Staley released on the backside was good, but now a defender stays with him.

If VD or Moss are in the set, nobody is going to let them run free unless it's a huge mistake.

Here is a thought, run the option out of the jumbo set, with this set

LT LG C RG RT JTE TE WR
QB
HB HB

Have the play start as a jumbo run right, with the QB and other HB pealing left on a HB option run. Sounds to me like something CK and LMJ could run :) The LT and LG would have to block the DE to that side and move out to the second level quickly to keep the QB from getting blown up by the DE on that side.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I agree, the play action off this is obvious. The challenge is who releases down field? If it is one of the jumbo players it's not going to be a deep throw because they don't have the speed. The play last year where Staley released on the backside was good, but now a defender stays with him.

If VD or Moss are in the set, nobody is going to let them run free unless it's a huge mistake.

Here is a thought, run the option out of the jumbo set, with this set

LT LG C RG RT JTE TE WR
QB
HB HB

Have the play start as a jumbo run right, with the QB and other HB pealing left on a HB option run. Sounds to me like something CK and LMJ could run :) The LT and LG would have to block the DE to that side and move out to the second level quickly to keep the QB from getting blown up by the DE on that side.

Lots of possibilities. That formation screams run to the right, but fake it to Gore, then Smith throws back to the left to Miller -- TD!

Or qb roll out, he has 2 TE and WR plus a RB slipping out as options. I noticed in the Packers game, that right side was getting most of the good runs with Boone and A.Davis
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM ]
they've done this where sopoaga/staley caught passes that one game.
Originally posted by dhp318:
they've done this where sopoaga/staley caught passes that one game.

I do believe there are many passes waiting in the playbook from this formation and will probably be called at some point during the season at least once or twice more. A few more than that wouldn't hurt my feelings any at all.
Its already such an affective formation. All we have to do is hit one big play out of it and its goint to scare the s**t out of other teams.
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
Its already such an affective formation. All we have to do is hit one big play out of it and its goint to scare the s**t out of other teams.

This.

I think opposing teams hate when we go to that formation, for 1 reasons, Most teams don't like to bring in extra Dline men for the fact most teams don't have the depth to do it effectively... I consider our Oline very deep, then you bring in Dline guys also, what can the defense really do??? Bring in Oline guys to stop the Jumbo Formation
Well the great thing about even staley or another big man on a short throw is it doesn't let the D crowd the line. Plus just having Davis out there to take the top off doesn't let the safety creep up.
Or I can even see Smith keeping it and running around the left tackle for a huge gain.
Man I love the super jumbo with L. Davis and Tukuafu playing FB

I think Kilgore was also in there on Frank's TD run

Can't wait to see some more tricks / formations from our mad scientist

Lions are attempting to answer by itself stocking deep on the DL.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Lions are attempting to answer by itself stocking deep on the DL.

right, lions DL depth is pretty good. they like to rotate guys to keep them fresh. we should make it a point to try to tire those guys out and ruin their rotations.
I think it's evolving, but I think with Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker... they're going to be some pretty decent intermediate targets off a play-action.
Share 49ersWebzone