There are 351 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Theyre sitting Willis in favor of Bowman

Originally posted by Amir:
I think we should trade Willis.

i think we could get a 5th from him....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i think its because bowman is faster

Yeah because Bowman (4.7) is better than Willis (4.49 - combine) for speed....


And this makes him Better??? Because of his speed? Really... SD do you remember a WR the Niners had named Renaldo Niamah (Sp)??? Guess he would have been a perinial ALL pro with his speed...
I Wonder if P Willis and N Bowman read these threads (This one in particular) thinking....What are these people talking about...
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,849
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Originally posted by Amir:
I think we should trade Willis.

i think we could get a 5th from him....

Nah, he's old and sucks now, 7th if we're lucky. I wonder what the cap hit would be if we released him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They had 6 DB's on the field to stop Rodgers. It's called gameplanning. Something Sing and NoWin knew nothing about. Now we have the master. The rest of the league will follow suit by our example. Has nothing to do with Willis. Willis and Bowman play different positions. Both ILB. But different.

I'm frankly astonished at Niner Talk. Perhaps it's time to move to Veterans Forum....


.
When your backers are so good that you can put Patrick Willis on the sideline. And came out on top

I just wondered if it's by reputation that Fangio took Willis out. They seems pretty close in talent the way they played the position. He's trying to somewhat disguised what the defense is doing. So with Willis' ProBowl reputation, the Packers will pay attention at all times to where Willis is at. Instead of putting Willis in as a lone ILB, he put Bowman who has a lesser reputation. He may tend to get forgotten by the Packers offense or at least think lesser of. Then BAM! -- INT!
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 10, 2012 at 7:51 AM ]
Do you dare question the Dark Lord!...Lord Fangio will not be amused by this, sleep lightly.
This thread became a huge overreaction. It's quite simple what took place as far as packages yesterday, and it worked. Willis didn't seem upset after the game.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Actually, it looks like they are rotating them by series. Bowman took the first dime package. Willis took the second. Now Bowman is back in on the 3rd series. The final series of the 1st half had 48 seconds left when GB got the ball. Both Willis and Bowman where in. On running plays they are both in.


The first GB possesion of the second half had Willis and Bowman. The second possesion of GB featured Willis as the LB in the dime package as I would expect the rotation to go.


After watching this game again, I'm convinced the strategy was to keep them both fresh. Makes sense to me.


It had nothing to do with coverage....it was a rotation. Watch again.

Here's my post again for the morning crew.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
When your backers are so good that you can put Patrick Willis on the sideline. And came out on top

I just wondered if it's by reputation that Fangio took Willis out. They seems pretty close in talent the way they played the position. He's trying to somewhat disguised what the defense is doing. So with Willis' ProBowl reputation, the Packers will pay attention at all times to where Willis is at. Instead of putting Willis in as a lone ILB, he put Bowman who has a lesser reputation. He may tend to get forgotten by the Packers offense or at least think lesser of. Then BAM! -- INT!

I honestly think it was purely a decision based on match-up according to what Fangio says below

"It's difficult," Fangio said of taking a four-time pro-bowl player like Willis out of the game. "But it's either that or you've got to line him up on a receiver sometimes, which he did a couple of times."Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/09/brain-brawn-harbaugh-praises-49ers-mind-game-after-lambeau-win.html#storylink=cpy

A big part of Willis' duty is to play the coverage game (cant say the same for Bowman)...but when packers overload with WRs...it only makes sense to replace Willis with a real cornerback to match up.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Actually, it looks like they are rotating them by series. Bowman took the first dime package. Willis took the second. Now Bowman is back in on the 3rd series. The final series of the 1st half had 48 seconds left when GB got the ball. Both Willis and Bowman where in. On running plays they are both in.


The first GB possesion of the second half had Willis and Bowman. The second possesion of GB featured Willis as the LB in the dime package as I would expect the rotation to go.


After watching this game again, I'm convinced the strategy was to keep them both fresh. Makes sense to me.


It had nothing to do with coverage....it was a rotation. Watch again.

Here's my post again for the morning crew.

This is reasonable. When you have to guys of that caliber, it's a smart move to keep them fresh. Or, stick with what is working. Love great coaching.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
When your backers are so good that you can put Patrick Willis on the sideline. And came out on top

I just wondered if it's by reputation that Fangio took Willis out. They seems pretty close in talent the way they played the position. He's trying to somewhat disguised what the defense is doing. So with Willis' ProBowl reputation, the Packers will pay attention at all times to where Willis is at. Instead of putting Willis in as a lone ILB, he put Bowman who has a lesser reputation. He may tend to get forgotten by the Packers offense or at least think lesser of. Then BAM! -- INT!

I honestly think it was purely a decision based on match-up according to what Fangio says below

"It's difficult," Fangio said of taking a four-time pro-bowl player like Willis out of the game. "But it's either that or you've got to line him up on a receiver sometimes, which he did a couple of times."Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/09/brain-brawn-harbaugh-praises-49ers-mind-game-after-lambeau-win.html#storylink=cpy

A big part of Willis' duty is to play the coverage game (cant say the same for Bowman)...but when packers overload with WRs...it only makes sense to replace Willis with a real cornerback to match up.

Thanks for the find. I realized yesterday they took out Willis for another DB. Just wondering why Willis and not Bowman. Sam and Will is the reason as implied by the Fangio statement.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/09/film-review-49ers-coaches-deserve-game-ball.html
I think Bowman is every bit as good as Willis.
this is not a problem.


in the defensive sub packages we can rotate them and keep both fresh and not sacrifice anything skill wise.