LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

Can Randy Moss & Alex Smith pull this off.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
And again, why are we comparing Alex Smith and a first year offense to a WELL-established Aaron Rodgers-lead WCO when we haven't even STARTED year 2 of 3 (bare minimum for installation). That would be like comparing a first year rookie with potential to Michael Jordan in his prime!

Depends on the Rookie! If it's Smith...LOL!

So looking forward to Sunday!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
And again, why are we comparing Alex Smith and a first year offense to a WELL-established Aaron Rodgers-lead WCO when we haven't even STARTED year 2 of 3 (bare minimum for installation). That would be like comparing a first year rookie with potential to Michael Jordan in his prime!

Depends on the Rookie! If it's Smith...LOL!

Damn these haters are desperate! LOL. They watch too many novellas.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Last season, Alex had one of the highest QBRs when blitzed in the NFL.

97.6 QBR when blitzed... 88.6 QBR when not blitzed

those stats are garbage, nfl AM still calling Alex a game manager earlier this morning

Im really hoping 10 tds for Moss this yr

man when you only throw for 180 yds a game and 1 td a game you a mutha f**king game managa yo.

But thats okay because you is what you is.

If you call Trent Dilfer a game manager, then how can you put Alex in the same grouping? Despite having similiar yards per game, Alex was extremely efficient and his TD to INT ratio was as good as it gets and Dilfer was nearly 1 to 1...and please show me the game where Dilfer did something like Alex did against the Saints.

You know when I get a woman I like to look at her entire body the ass the tits the face the legs everything. You cant just focus on her tits and ignore the rest because her ass may be flat as a hole in the ground.

true
@Susweel - POTD LMFAO you the man, bro!
he didnt just do it once he has done it 5 times

he also led a 20 point comeback against the eagles

when we needed him to pass the ball and become a playaker he has last year just because he didnt do it when its not needed doesnt make him a game manager

harbaugh made luck do a similar thing in the college level in fact one of his knocks was can he throw the deep ball with consistant accuracy because he didnt throw it deep a lot in college

you guys need to realize thats how harbaugh runs things it has nothing to do with alex unless harbaugh thinks andrew luck has the same weaknesses and strengths as alex
I'm not holding my breath on Moss going back to 07-09 form. That was a New England offense that took a giant leap in regards to the passing attack conversely we're still going to be balanced. Moss has been out for year is he still as fast as he was then?

As long as he's part of a squad that's producing that's all that matters to me. Him, Vernon, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams it would certainly nice to see a 1,200 yard receiver because we haven't had one since TO but it's not the end of the world if he's merely a contributor. Personally I'd prefer Crabtree stepping up and becoming a legitimate #1 because he's long term.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Personally I hope that Alex can pull it off this year. He knows Kaep is nipping at his heels so if he doesn't perform well then he just isn't very good like I anticipate. If we performs well than I'll surely dine on some salty crow but I don't think we stay injury free like last year, I don't see the +28 turnovers again so to win the NFC west the QB has to play very well this year IMO.

Not worried about Moss. I'm sure he can get open the question is will Alex learn to avoid a rush and get the ball out ala Kaep. The reason Smith is blitzed so often as Afrikan mentioned is he is poor at Making decisions on the fly and panics too quickly. He doesnt make You pay. I see the team struggling to pass again this year. 10-6 maybe if defense plays lights out

Alex had a pretty good year last year considering. Heck it was the 1st season in this new offense for the whole team with no offseason. He did good to get the group ready for camp so as to get off to the start that we did. When I heard they were bringing back Alex I was just hoping for winning year, but the team overachieved to 14 wins!! I think Alex did fine, but we need better this year. And anything less than 10 wins for this team would be a major letdown. There are other more proven QBs in this league, but Alex did fine with Jim last year. Let us see what happens this year. Hopefully better play from the position

Agreed. Hopefully better play from the position. But something has to be taken into consideration
and that is he has been playing QB for a long time, not only the NFL so he Kind of is what he is. And I don't have high expectations. H
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Personally I hope that Alex can pull it off this year. He knows Kaep is nipping at his heels so if he doesn't perform well then he just isn't very good like I anticipate. If we performs well than I'll surely dine on some salty crow but I don't think we stay injury free like last year, I don't see the +28 turnovers again so to win the NFC west the QB has to play very well this year IMO.

Not worried about Moss. I'm sure he can get open the question is will Alex learn to avoid a rush and get the ball out ala Kaep. The reason Smith is blitzed so often as Afrikan mentioned is he is poor at Making decisions on the fly and panics too quickly. He doesnt make You pay. I see the team struggling to pass again this year. 10-6 maybe if defense plays lights out

Alex had a pretty good year last year considering. Heck it was the 1st season in this new offense for the whole team with no offseason. He did good to get the group ready for camp so as to get off to the start that we did. When I heard they were bringing back Alex I was just hoping for winning year, but the team overachieved to 14 wins!! I think Alex did fine, but we need better this year. And anything less than 10 wins for this team would be a major letdown. There are other more proven QBs in this league, but Alex did fine with Jim last year. Let us see what happens this year. Hopefully better play from the position

Agreed on that that I hope for improved QB play regardless. I don't think we can rely in the defense and ST to carry the
Team again and the team has to improve on third down and the red zone as we all know.

This has never been me about Alex. I just believe that the poor QB play since he has been here doesn't help. Not blaming everything on him but he surely hasn't grabbed the bull by the horns and I'm not sure if he can. For the sake of the Team the position needs improvement significantly.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I'm not holding my breath on Moss going back to 07-09 form. That was a New England offense that took a giant leap in regards to the passing attack conversely we're still going to be balanced. Moss has been out for year is he still as fast as he was then?

As long as he's part of a squad that's producing that's all that matters to me. Him, Vernon, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams it would certainly nice to see a 1,200 yard receiver because we haven't had one since TO but it's not the end of the world if he's merely a contributor. Personally I'd prefer Crabtree stepping up and becoming a legitimate #1 because he's long term.

obviously he wont go back to 07 to 09 form i mean he was in late 20's to early 30's during that time

he is not 35 it would be very hard to go back to that time and that level of play i dont think we will get a 1200 yard WR but i think we will have a lot of WR have 600+ yards
iPhone posting sucks hahahaha when quoting I can't see a darn thing I'm typing
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
obviously he wont go back to 07 to 09 form i mean he was in late 20's to early 30's during that time

he is not 35 it would be very hard to go back to that time and that level of play i dont think we will get a 1200 yard WR but i think we will have a lot of WR have 600+ yards

The bigger factor is how many TD's he can bring in. If he could just have a Plaxico Burress esque year of 600 yards and 8 TD's that's a successful year in my books. Hopefully Vernon is in playoff mode and Crabs steps his game as well.

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Aaron Rodgers Disagree's with Alex being a game manager, you don't throw for that many times he said and just manage the game, he's just a real smart guy who doesn't make costly int's! . I'll take a guy that plays the spot, rather than the arm chair qb!

Aaron is 1 Alex's friend 2 not allowed to bad mouth another qb (please refer to Alex's comment to see how that works out) and 3 trying to avoid giving the 9ers locker room material.

At least that's the counter to the comment.

Agree but I also think Aaron respects him because he's watched alex his whole career. You know rodgers thanks god for not getting that oline for 7 years and get the crap knocked out of him. I think Alex with protection can move the ball, and when the games on the line he seems to make those his most important throws.

Aaron Rogers has the worst o-line in the league, and still managers to be the #1 player in the NFL as voted by his peers.
Rogers don't need no stinking excuses! Can't wait to see Smith knock the $hit outta him, oh how about both Smiths knocking the hell outta him..This is THE year ASmith makes plays consistently, or not, and has concrete ramifications either way. NINERS!!
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Sep 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM ]
Maybe too much to ask but I hope he can still run like he did @ 1:33 against the 49ers. He popped it into another gear at around the 47 and left both defenders in his rear view. Walt Harris may have stumbled but I don't think it would have made a difference.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
I think Rogers thanks god that he was able to sit behind one of the all time greats and perfect his craft instead of being thrown to the wolves.

Aaron Rogers has the worst o-line in the league, and still managers to be the #1 player in the NFL as voted by his peers.

What do you base this on?

"Newhouse graded out as the worst tackle overall (-31.1) in our ratings for 2011. He also compiled the second-worst Pass Blocking Efficiency rating (92.2) among all tackles." https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/07/3tfo-49ers-packers-week-1/
That's their starting left tackle.

A few years ago, they led the league in sacks given up, 51. That was when Rogers was a good but not yet great player.
Now that they have the best QB in the league, their line still ranks in the bottom 3rd of the league in terms of adjusted sack rating. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2011
It is almost unheard of to be ranked that low with an All-Pro quarterback.

You can quote them facts all day, they will still find a way to deny it.

Big difference between stats and facts.

Based on the chart you showed....Rogers's line is middle of the road. Just becaused they sucked 4 years ago does not mean they suck now. Maybe his play is better partly because the line is better....I have heard of stranger things.

Wonder how many people woulD trade Chilo for Newhouse?
[ Edited by Jakemall on Sep 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
I think Rogers thanks god that he was able to sit behind one of the all time greats and perfect his craft instead of being thrown to the wolves.

What do you base this on?

"Newhouse graded out as the worst tackle overall (-31.1) in our ratings for 2011. He also compiled the second-worst Pass Blocking Efficiency rating (92.2) among all tackles." https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/07/3tfo-49ers-packers-week-1/
That's their starting left tackle.

A few years ago, they led the league in sacks given up, 51. That was when Rogers was a good but not yet great player.
Now that they have the best QB in the league, their line still ranks in the bottom 3rd of the league in terms of adjusted sack rating. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2011
It is almost unheard of to be ranked that low with an All-Pro quarterback.

You can quote them facts all day, they will still find a way to deny it.

Based on the chart you showed....Rogers's line is middle of the road. Just becaused they sucked 4 years ago does not mean they suck now. Maybe his play is better partly because the line is better....I have heard of stranger things.

>> (Wonder how many people woulD trade Chilo for Newhouse?)<<

Wonder how many people woulD trade Chilo for Newhouse?

It's just my opinion obviously. It's impossible to prove "best" or "worst" when it comes to anything. They have been ranked (in terms of sacks per play) in the bottom third of the league for the last 3 years. That is bizarre for a team with a pro-bowl quarterback. The only other team with a good quarterback that is ranked almost as low is Pittsburgh, but they have Big Ben who almost never gives up on a play and will take more sacks to make more plays. Recently, the Steelers have greatly improved their line, whereas Green Bay, not so much. I mean, can you imagine that they have the worst tackle (or very close) in the league starting on the LEFT side? That is where your BEST O-lineman is supposed to play.
Green Bay's line can't run block, and they get consistently manhandled in the passing game. You'll see what I mean when we manhandle them on Sunday.
Share 49ersWebzone