There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can Randy Moss & Alex Smith pull this off.....

This article was written back in August but as good a response to this thread as any.

LINK

Yes, he can throw the deep ball with accuracy. People tend to remember the ones he missed rather than the ones he hit on.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM ]
alez is no brady
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This article was written back in August but as good a response to this thread as any.

LINK

Yes, he can throw the deep ball with accuracy. People tend to remember the ones he missed rather than the ones he hit on.

Nice! I was tryinf to remember which game this one came from...

49ers v Rams: Smith incomplete to Davis (Davis had a memorable drop on a would-be TD, where Smith let it rip from mid-field deep into the end zone, and a perfectly placed ball bounced of Davis' hands)

... and this part stands out to me as well...

Moss will stay humble because he knows this team will go on winning without him, so he better stay with the program. He has a shot to define his legacy with the 49ers and leave the game the way he wants to. If Moss reverts to his old ways, he will never forgive himself. The opportunity in front of him could yield him his first ever Super Bowl Championship if he decides to play this game the right way -- the dominant way he knows how to play.
The Oline will have to pass protect very well for any deep throws.

I'd like to see Moss score early and draw double coverage then VD will burn them.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I don't think Alex lacks for much of anything physically. His problem has been his hesitancy to be aggressive in his play when the situation arises. He made some strides last season in this area. He has good arm strength and is physically gifted enough for the position, he just has to put the ball in play and let the receiver come down with it

i dont think we'll ever see Alex really just throw it up for grabs. A recent interview/story with him talking about him taking what he's give;. I'm ok with that. I think what we'll see isn't him taking more risks, it'll be him gaining more confidence.

As his WR's show them that they can make plays, he'll get more comfortable throwing into tighter windows. Those plays/throws that used to be "too risky" will become more routine. If he doesn't fully get there I'm ok with him taking what's in front of him. Lets win 1st and 2nd down, make 3rd manageable. Sustain drives, and it'll all come together.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
I don't know if Alex has the arm strength to "chuck it" to Moss. It's gonig to be interesting to see how all of this will work.

maybe i meant to say deep ball accuracy.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

.... but yes, Alex can deliver the ball to Moss, if he is open. Question should be.. will the pass protection hold up long enough to encourage Harbaugh to allow for more passing?
If Alex makes teams pay everytime they blitz, they will back off.... or he can also run with the ball more often and again make them pay.

that will buy him extra time in the pocket if teams have to be cautious in pressuring the guy. Its not 100% on the Oline...and Alex will tell you that. If teams are getting pressure with only a 4-5 man rush, then yes that is on them...but if they are sending extra defenders, we should make them pay for the majority of the time.

Last season, Alex had one of the highest QBRs when blitzed in the NFL.
I don't know if Alex has the arm strength to "chuck it" to Moss. It's gonig to be interesting to see how all of this will work.

maybe i meant to say deep ball accuracy.

don't think that works either... Alex had a combined 104.1 QBR from left/middle/right deep passes.

21 of 51 for 723 yds and 6 TDs 2 INTs
Originally posted by Jakemall:

97.6 QBR when blitzed... 88.6 QBR when not blitzed
Originally posted by TlSSER:
I know Alex Smith isn't as good as Tom Brady.......but just imagine if Alex can be at least as good as Matt Cassel?

Interesting Clip @ 1:35

TD at 1:35....... the ball landed about 10 rows in front of me.
I CANT WAIT TIL SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
97.6 QBR when blitzed... 88.6 QBR when not blitzed

This is a REALLY interesting stat...it says so much; the guy is actually more effective when blitzed speaks volumes to his pre-snap reads AND his receivers getting open quickly and I'm safely assuming, the pass protection holding up just long enough for a 3-step drop. It also shows how much teams stack the box and blitz. Given the history of our pass protection, he either learned to get rid of the ball on a 3-step drop or ran for his life (sack or gained time/yards with his legs). If he's less effective with non-blitzes, it's a sign his (under-3-second) clock is going off and he's bailing out (even if there if a guy is breaking open and the pass protection is holding). This is from a culture (NFL career) of very poor and inconsistent pass protection, hits, sacks, injuries, etc. Now, if we can start consistently pass protecting him with the basic 5 OL (no jumbo/max protection with only 1 receiving option) and he starts to feel comfortable/safe back there he is going to start KILLING it. Add improvements with time on top of his blitz production and you've got yourself a complete QB who's gaining confidence...which will extend to his WR's, the OC, Harbaugh, game-planning, etc. IMHO
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by TlSSER:
I know Alex Smith isn't as good as Tom Brady.......but just imagine if Alex can be at least as good as Matt Cassel?

Interesting Clip @ 1:35

TD at 1:35....... the ball landed about 10 rows in front of me.

I loved how he was used...take the top off, bubble screens, RZ target, etc. Take notes HaRoman!
  • kush
  • Veteran

And he likely took the most sacks as well but that won't be reflected in the QB rating.
That's the plan . 2008 was a while back doe...

Manningham and VD will be open as well
That preseason TD pass to Vernon against the Broncos was one of the best passes I've seen Alex throw in a LONG time.