There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The case against keeping Dobbs

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we shall see

he has been nothing but desrubtive in every preseason game
Bottom line, he's taking over Aldon's job last year. He comes in on third downs. What's the front four going to be? Will it be Brooks-Smith-Dobbs-Smith or Smith-RayMac-Dobbs-Smith?

Originally posted by ninertico:
Bottom line, he's taking over Aldon's job last year. He comes in on third downs. What's the front four going to be? Will it be Brooks-Smith-Dobbs-Smith or Smith-RayMac-Dobbs-Smith?

Lol no he's not.
Completely agree. Why would any team want a promising young D Lineman who has proven to be adept at rushing the passer who also contributes on special teams while also contributing as a 3rd TE? Cut him.

(sarcasm thick enough?)
Disagree with the OP.

I really like Dobbs. His best spot is as a DE, but let's face it.. we have excellence in our starting 3 and RJF is a fantastic # 4 at multiple spots on the line. Dobbs has the kind of athleticism that can be very useful as a depth rush LB option. I'd actually want him in there for that role before Haggans. Add the TE depth he can provide, and I don't see how there is a decent case for not keeping him on the 53.

Love Tuku as a lead blocking FB in short yardage situations... keep Miller for most downs. Tuku is a decent depth DE, but Dobbs is better.
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
With our OLB injuries you can make a real strong case now IMO.

I would dump McBath, Ian Williams or Celek before I dump Dobbs. He's a beast of a DE when given playing time

this
Versitile , young , athletic, cheap, developing, has looked great in preseason...........cut him now!

I would dump McBath, Ian Williams or Celek before I dump Dobbs. He's a beast of a DE when given playing time

No way I get rid of Ian Williams. He played really well.

No way I get rid of Ian Williams. He played really well.

+ 1... Celek and McBath can kick rocks for all I care though.
I feel like Dobs has looked pretty strong when given opportunities. I really feel like this is good creative football, combined with a little finding a reason to keep a guy around for next year when our D-line might have some holes to fill. My feeling is Dobs wouldn't last on the practice squad, if he is even eligible. If they cut him I think he would definitely get picked up and not just sit out there for long.

Since he is a prospect for the future, they use him as best as they can in the meantime. It would be like if Singletary or Nolan had been smart enough to use Ray McDonald creatively while he was learning and waiting for his chance to be a starter.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
we shall see

Demarcus Dobbs: Desrubtor
I dont get all the Dobbs hype either..havent seen enough to be sold on him.
He's been one of the best non-starting performers in preseason, he's given the coaches enough confidence in his versatility to list him as the #3 TE, he's freed up a few roster spots with that versatility, and has performed well for all 3 units... cut him!...
bottom line is does cutting him and bringing someone else in make the team better? i dont see how anyone can say yes. like others have mentioned, i'd cut a lot of other players before I'd cut Dobbs. He's been playing pretty good. I was pretty amazed at his athleticism when they put him at OLB. So yeah i wouldn't be surprised to see him spelling guys on the DL or OLB.
Originally posted by nannite:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
we shall see

Demarcus Dobbs: Desrubtor
Demarcus Dobbsrubtor!