There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade for backup OLB ?

Last year we knew what we had in Haralson at OLB and there was high hopes for Brooks following his new contract and for the rooke Aldon Smith. A year later Brooks is solid on one side and there are even higher hopes for Aldon as a full time OLB.

With the season ending injury to Haralson and the signing of a 35 year old Haggans (not required in Arizona's 3-4) I am concerned that any injury to Aldon or Brooks could seriously threaten the strength of the niners defence. The hope for the season is of course to win the Superbowl - when isn't it before opening day - but this team (thankfully) as a legitimate shot at it. What makes me jumpy is that Aldon is returning from a hip injury - never a quick heal and Brooks has been known to get banged up from time to time during the season. Both at this point are basically going to be relied upon to play every down for every game.

This I know you know but here's my thought. The team stockpiled draft picks last year in the draft and from trading Mayes and Jones. Late round picks will still struggle to make this team in 2013 so if there is a young OLB backing up somewhere that the Niners like (they put in a waiver claim for Westerman before Arizona claimed him) then please Baalke go out and trade a pick for him. He can learn the system this year and be the no.1 back up next year behind Brooks and Aldon - afterall Haralson is in his last year of his contract and may not be coming back (I'd welcome him back of course but if he's healthy then he's shown enough for another team in need of OLB help to offer him more money than the Niners will / can)

I hope the front office take a page from Justin Smith's book and realise that this is not the time to stockpile 5th - 7th round draft picks when we have a weak point in our armour and we have the ability to address it now - before the season starts and before an injury to Brooks / Aldon drives the trade price skyhigh.

I've no idea who is out there - that's the scouting dept's job - but perhaps you have a suggestion?

I can't help but think that Walsh would be trading now for a back-up / rotation pass-rush OLB to add some depth. Is Merriman as washed up as people say? He strikes me as a classic Walsh reclamation project.

Personally I'd go for a 1-2 year player who can be rotated in and learn the defence and from Haggans etc this year and be counted upon in 2013 to be a backup with Cam Johnson.

What do you think?

Get well soon Parys.
[ Edited by British9er on Sep 4, 2012 at 4:49 AM ]
I've actually been curious why we don't do this also. We have 12 picks IIRC. Why not send a couple of those to a team for a young OLB that could help us out. There's no reason we need all 12 picks.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I've actually been curious why we don't do this also. We have 12 picks IIRC. Why not send a couple of those to a team for a young OLB that could help us out. There's no reason we need all 12 picks.

I created a whole thread based around this last week and it got made fun of and locked up.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
There is no doubt in my mind that Baalke is working the phones to see who's available at what price.

If we don't make a trade, I'd assume there wasn't a good deal to be had.

We're in a tough spot with the cap, so I don't know how much that plays into it.

I doubt we'd be able to get anyone good at this point, though.
The position is at a premium around the league. You just aren't gonna find any suitable replacements out there. Niners got injured at a postilion they were really thin at, so it's gonna hurt more. Add that to the fact that Aldon missed valuable pre season reps and the position is now somewhat of a question mark til we see it on Sunday. Funny how a lot of ppl wanted to cut Parys to save some chump change on the cap. Just gonna need somebody to step up.
The injury to Haralson put a needed perspective on the Brooks signing. Remember people where complaining about the overpaid of Brooks with only so many sacks to his name that didn't warrant the price. It's about more than just sacks at the position. Holding the point on the run on the outside and coverage are just as important if not more. If nothing else , stay true so that Willis and Bowman can get there to make the tackle on the runner. If he has good pass rushing skills that would even be better. But he has to know how to play the run and cover.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 4, 2012 at 6:49 AM ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:
There is no doubt in my mind that Baalke is working the phones to see who's available at what price.

We're in a tough spot with the cap, so I don't know how much that plays into it.

We don't need a starter just someone with some upside and can set the edge in the run game basically and has shown some ability / potential to rush the passer down the road. On passing downs we have Dobbs, McDonald, Brooks or Aldon and Justin Smith. Fangio can generate prerssure from the outside too.

I was thinking someone with upside and a bit of experience - 2/3 year player - almost like Brooks when we signed him - someone we can develop and integrate into the system
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Put me in coach!
If the injury is serious, why not flat out injury-settle and cut ties with Haralson who was nothing more than an expensive run stopper sub for Brooks. His salary is extremely high anyhow. Granted he is familiar with OUR 3-4 but we should be looking to developing long-term solutions and plans and competition. We don't even know if Aldon will be able to be successful playing every single down all year and Brooks took 93% of the snaps last year (hard to stay fresh that way). Why didn't we use Haralson's cap money to bring in someone with more upside and overall game over Haralson. Now we're stuck scrambling...Haggans will be a good rent-a-veteran for year to help spell Aldon but we have nobody for the SAM spot and nobody with real upside (maybe Cam for 2013?). But who for 2012?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I created a whole thread based around this last week and it got made fun of and locked up.

no one is laughing at you now. they knew he was going to be put on injured reserve last week and thier answer was to sign a 35 year old who may not play the first game, brilliant. they better damn well hope the hearing on this guy goes well for them tomorrow and they better damn well hope brooks and smith are 100 per cent sunday