There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
You need to get that opening day 2011 game between the Saints out of your head.

49ers don't play that type of game.

BTW, I applaud you coming on here in enemy territory. I do so myself from time to time.

The big question I have for you is how do you explain your playoff loss to the Giants? That was a tough beating that can't be rationalized solely on Rodgers and the offense being "rusty" or unlucky.

Like I've said before, the biggest matchup issue in any big game the 49ers play this season is how their offense plays against the opposing team's defense. No matter how good any NFL offense is, it will more or less be controlled by the 49ers. The Saints were the only team to hang 30+ on us, and were pretty lucky to do it too.

If you can stop the 49ers offense then I would be concerned.

The 49ers did in the playoffs against the Saints. That was a total shootout.
Well if you actually watched the game
Even the most die hard cheesehead would have to admit that the Giants have had their number for some time now (remember they knocked them out in the playoffs in '07 as well).

Ask yourself what was so special about the NYG defense that has kept the Packers offense in check? Just the pass rush?

Perhaps you might say that they didn't keep them in check, and that they "kept up" with them (the regular season game particularly). We showed we could hang points on teams if we have too, like the Saints game.

Bottom line is this:

Last year, the only time we lost games was when the offensive line protection broke down (Ravens, Cardinals), or when the pass rush with four guys with press coverage on average receivers was tough to overcome (Giants) -- I won't count the Cowboys game in this discussion, although I believe the 2nd half of that game we were unable to give Smith enough time to do much.

I really put the offensive production (and team's winning percentage) mostly on the OL in pass protect mode. We haven't yet demonstrated as an offense (everyone, not just the QB) that we can overcome a s**tty OL production like some other teams...so protection is necessary. We protect Alex well we win....we sorta protect Alex it's 50/50.....we feed him to the wolves we lose.

I think it's important that we control the ball well and maintain the lead if possible to prevent GB from getting into a defensive mode that's favorable to them. I saw the Bears run the s*** out of the ball on Christmas with a no name QB. We should be able to do the same.

It should be very interesting to see how this game plays out. Man I haven't been this pumped/anxious for a regular season game since probably '94 Cowboys game!!!

Even the most die hard cheesehead would have to admit that the Giants have had their number for some time now (remember they knocked them out in the playoffs in '07 as well).

Ask yourself what was so special about the NYG defense that has kept the Packers offense in check? Just the pass rush?

Perhaps you might say that they didn't keep them in check, and that they "kept up" with them (the regular season game particularly). We showed we could hang points on teams if we have too, like the Saints game.

Bottom line is this:

Last year, the only time we lost games was when the offensive line protection broke down (Ravens, Cardinals), or when the pass rush with four guys with press coverage on average receivers was tough to overcome (Giants) -- I won't count the Cowboys game in this discussion, although I believe the 2nd half of that game we were unable to give Smith enough time to do much.

I really put the offensive production (and team's winning percentage) mostly on the OL in pass protect mode. We haven't yet demonstrated as an offense (everyone, not just the QB) that we can overcome a s**tty OL production like some other teams...so protection is necessary. We protect Alex well we win....we sorta protect Alex it's 50/50.....we feed him to the wolves we lose.

I think it's important that we control the ball well and maintain the lead if possible to prevent GB from getting into a defensive mode that's favorable to them. I saw the Bears run the s*** out of the ball on Christmas with a no name QB. We should be able to do the same.

It should be very interesting to see how this game plays out. Man I haven't been this pumped/anxious for a regular season game since probably '94 Cowboys game!!!

Well if you actually watched the game it was more about the Packers just playing very poorly on offense than the Giants actually keeping them in check. The Packers dropped 9 passes in that game and had guys fumble the ball that just flat out don't turnover the ball. They dropped more passes in that game than any team did all season. The Packers beat that same Giants team in New York just a few weeks before and also blew them out at Lambeau in a do or die playoff seeding scenario. Rodgers is 2-1 against the Giants and when you break it down didn't really play that bad in that playoff game.

That same Giants defense that "kept the Packers in check" completely stymied the 49ers offense in the NFCCG. The Patriots in the Super Bowl as well. When healthy that Giants front four is as good as it gets.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Be balance on offense. Put in longer drive to keep Rodgers and Co. on the side line. Strike deep when there's opportunities. Yes -- that's on you Alex Smith Then when the Packers offense does take the field, we have the NFL's best defense ready to clamp down.

Our secondary is far from the best. Statistically, I think the Niners had the 16th passing defense in the league last year. There's a lot of room for improvement. We had too many lapses that led to huge gains. The Cowboys game was particularly memorable for breakdowns in coverage. Hopefully Aldon is completely healthy in time for next Sunday. Haralson and Brooks would be a step back to when our pass rush was ineffective, and against Rodgers, no pass rush would be like suicide.
I think the key to winning is scoring more points than GB.
This game has me so nervous. I live 30 minutes south of Lambeau and of course work with a ton of Packer homers. I wan't the Niners to win so bad, but their (packers) passing O scares me.

I was never real happy with our pass D last season, and it seems to continue to be somewhat of a weakness this year in the preseason. Arod as they call him in these parts is a friken stud and they have 2 WR that would start for us with Nelson being the back breaking dynamo.

I want to see our defense clamp down hard slowing that Packer O significantly, while our O comes out and shows marked improvement since last year.

I don't wanna see any sloppy play. No obvious and bad PI penalties or muffed returns and stuff like that.
[ Edited by WINiner on Sep 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM ]
Originally posted by strat1080:

Well if you actually watched the game it was more about the Packers just playing very poorly on offense than the Giants actually keeping them in check. The Packers dropped 9 passes in that game and had guys fumble the ball that just flat out don't turnover the ball. They dropped more passes in that game than any team did all season. The Packers beat that same Giants team in New York just a few weeks before and also blew them out at Lambeau in a do or die playoff seeding scenario. Rodgers is 2-1 against the Giants and when you break it down didn't really play that bad in that playoff game.

That same Giants defense that "kept the Packers in check" completely stymied the 49ers offense in the NFCCG. The Patriots in the Super Bowl as well. When healthy that Giants front four is as good as it gets.

Agree. The Giants got VERY lucky last year during the playoffs. The Giants team of last year is probably one of the worse SuperBowl champs in the last few decades.
Originally posted by WINiner:
This game has me so nervous. I live 30 minutes south of Lambeau and of course work with a ton of Packer homers. I wan't the Niners to win so bad, but their (packers) passing O scares me.

I was never real happy with our pass D last season, and it seems to continue to be somewhat of a weakness this year in the preseason. Arod as they call him in these parts is a friken stud and they have 2 WR that would start for us with Nelson being the back breaking dynamo.

I want to see our defense clamp down hard slowing that Packer O significantly, while our O comes out and shows marked improvement since last year.

I don't wanna see any sloppy play. No obvious and bad PI penalties or muffed returns and stuff like that.

How will they stop our offense?? Please tell me. I like our special teams putting the pack in the precarious position of having to score from way out against our defense. I like our defense giving us short fields to start and our punishing running game and game breakers that you have to double in VD and to a lesser extent moss that forces a defense to pick their poison. At least we wont have to decide whether to load up on the run or the pass where as they will. It takes 8 in the box to have a chance vs our running game thus leaving Vernon single covered. No chance there bud. How will they stop our physical ground game and the freaks for 4 quarters with a suspect defense and unfavorable field position at all times??
  • kush
  • Veteran
Predicting Stat Lines:

Alex Smith 15-15 459 yards 6 TDs
Frank Gore 15 carries 145 yards 3 TDs
Kendall Hunter 10 carries 88 yards 2 TDs, 1 FG
Michael Crabtree 6 catches 180 yards 2 TDs
VD 4 catches 154 yards 1 TD
RANDY 2 catches 200 yards 2TDs, 2 full moons for the packer fans
AJJ 3 catches 69 yards 1 TD

BOOK IT
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
How will they stop our offense?? Please tell me. I like our special teams putting the pack in the precarious position of having to score from way out against our defense. I like our defense giving us short fields to start and our punishing running game and game breakers that you have to double in VD and to a lesser extent moss that forces a defense to pick their poison. At least we wont have to decide whether to load up on the run or the pass where as they will. It takes 8 in the box to have a chance vs our running game thus leaving Vernon single covered. No chance there bud. How will they stop our physical ground game and the freaks for 4 quarters with a suspect defense and unfavorable field position at all times??

That sounds like a nightmare for any team to face.
Why couldn't the NFL just start the season today?
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by strat1080:

Agree. The Giants got VERY lucky last year during the playoffs. The Giants team of last year is probably one of the worse SuperBowl champs in the last few decades.

I have learned to give the NYG credit. They went on the road and beat ATL in ATL GB in GB and came all the way out west to survive the most physical team in the NFC for 4 qtrs and OT to sneak out with the win. They capped off their postseason run with the annihilation of NE, yes I said that because I have never seen such an atrocity as a team with no defense and no running game that could not stop Eli from marching down the field then purposefully allow a redzone TD just to get the ball back with time to try and let Brady win it. I found that crap utterly disgusting!! Credit to the Giants, especially the way they survived us. I was more impressed with us beating a more complete team like NO than I was the NYG beating GB in Lambeau but when they survived us, I knew they would beat the Patriots soft a$$es. When Brady missed Welker, I told my wife that NE can't stop Eli with that soft defense and they couldn't
I have learned to give the NYG credit. They went on the road and beat ATL in ATL GB in GB and came all the way out west to survive the most physical team in the NFC for 4 qtrs and OT to sneak out with the win. They capped off their postseason run with the annihilation of NE, yes I said that because I have never seen such an atrocity as a team with no defense and no running game that could not stop Eli from marching down the field then purposefully allow a redzone TD just to get the ball back with time to try and let Brady win it. I found that crap utterly disgusting!! Credit to the Giants, especially the way they survived us. I was more impressed with us beating a more complete team like NO than I was the NYG beating GB in Lambeau but when they survived us, I knew they would beat the Patriots soft a$$es. When Brady missed Welker, I told my wife that NE can't stop Eli with that soft defense and they couldn't

The fact that the Patriots had the lead at all amazed me because lets face it Brady pretty much had to carry the entire team on his back. He got basically zero help from his team. Defense couldn't stop anything, running game was nowhere to be found, receivers dropping passes. Forcing Brady to turn on desperation mode constantly. About the only help he did get was from his o-line. If you gave Brady Eli's defense they would destroy any team.
Any news on Jacobs playing in this game.... My guess would be Dixon at this point.
We haven't won in Green Bay for so long.... hope we can break that streak.
Originally posted by BayArea:

The fact that the Patriots had the lead at all amazed me because lets face it Brady pretty much had to carry the entire team on his back. He got basically zero help from his team. Defense couldn't stop anything, running game was nowhere to be found, receivers dropping passes. Forcing Brady to turn on desperation mode constantly. About the only help he did get was from his o-line. If you gave Brady Eli's defense they would destroy any team.

I thought Brady had a pretty good team in 2007 but they didnt run the ball well and did not seem to have a studly front but still Eli beat him. Now to your point, the NYG defensive line owned Brady for 4 qtrs whereas Eli was not under nearly the same amount of duress
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home