LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
No he didn't. I respectfully disagree. Our defense got better and better towards the end of the game. And they weren't bad to begin with. Don't dismissed the defense in that game and give it to Eli Manning. It was one of the best performance of the year for them. If they can improve on that game into this year, that would be the sh*t.

D.Brees --------40/63 --- 462 Yards --- 4 TD
E.Manning ----32/58 --- 316 Yards --- 2 TD
Ponder threw for 80 yards on us in Preseason vs the starters.
M.Schaub -----11/14 --- 128 Yards --- 1 TD
P.Manning and C.Hanie Combined for 18/24 --- 214 Yards --- 3 TD

Wouldn't say those are good numbers :/

Like I said... only thing that worries me.
Originally posted by JayDAche:
No he didn't. I respectfully disagree. Our defense got better and better towards the end of the game. And they weren't bad to begin with. Don't dismissed the defense in that game and give it to Eli Manning. It was one of the best performance of the year for them. If they can improve on that game into this year, that would be the sh*t.

They gave up 2TDs to Eli when their average points allow is at something like 14pts- last year. They harassed him for most of the game. Eli made some good throws like he always do but couldn't get into the endzone again until -- you know who with the knee. Until that point, it would have stayed at 10pts for the Giants the whole game. And even into OT, the Giants (Eli) didn't move the ball at all until -- you know who fumble the return. 295 yards passing by Eli but didn't count for much when it came to scoring. And that's our defensive MO for the whole year. Yards on us -- sure--- but no scoring.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM ]
They gave up 2TDs to Eli when their average points allow is at something like 14pts- last year. They harassed him for most of the game. Eli made some good throws like he always do but couldn't get into the endzone again until -- you know who with the knee. Until that point, it would have stayed at 10pts for the Giants the whole game. And even into OT, the Giants (Eli) didn't move the ball at all until -- you know who fumble the return. 295 yards passing by Eli but didn't count for much when it came to scoring. And that's our defensive MO for the whole year. Yards on us -- sure--- but no scoring.

Rightfully so, I get where you are coming from...
But I'm just showing where I'm coming from as well..
Not to mention Rodgers is a much much better QB then Eli.
Their receivers are fast, Rodgers can throw. That will be the deciding factor in this game.

Will we stifle their passing attack, or will Rodgers chunk us pass by pass.
Originally posted by JayDAche:

Yep.

BTW, between Brees & Manning, roughly 60 pass attempts PER GAME....so that's about 7.5 yards per attempt for Brees and < 5.0 yards per attempt for Manning.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Lets do this!

I think we're going to run a lot from the start. I just dont know what to expect, it's a new season. I hope our secondary can handle their receivers and I hope our pass rush has rodgers running for his life. Offensive line must give alex time to throw.

I want winners!
[ Edited by toeshawn on Sep 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM ]
Originally posted by toeshawn:
Lets do this!

I think we're going to run a lot from the start. I just dont know what to expect, it's a new season. I hope our secondary can handle their receivers and I hope our pass rush has rodgers running for his life. Offensive line must give alex time to throw.

I want winners!

Thank you!
I know what I be doing next week...per-game!
1. Put consistent pressure on Rodgers

This is pretty elementary. Giving Rodgers too much time will make it impossible for our secondary to slow down and stop the Packers offense. Our rush will make our secondary look better or worse than they are. Hopefully, Vic Fangio has been up at night drawing up some crazy schemes to stop them.

2. The play of our 3rd and 4th string defensive backs: Tremaine Brock and Chris Culliver

Brock has been a weak link all pre-season long. Culliver also needs to step up. Carlos Rogers might be a bit overrated (never saw Clements or Spencer struggle so much with Larry Fitzgerald), but Terrell Brown is becoming a solid presence. We have to do a good job of covering Jordy Nelson. The Packers like a lot of underneath routes but they also go deep quite a bit. We can't get beat deep, and Rodgers is undoubtedly going to test us. Turnovers would be very helpful in rattling the Packers offense. The play of our safeties will also be very crucial. Goldson has to play smart instead of going for the big hit on deep routes. Hit the hell out of them at the line, but don't take too many risks beyond 10 yards.

3. Establishing the run

Simple: Eat up clock, batter the Packers defense until they slow down. Keep their offense off the field, while keeping the defense back-peddling all day long.

4. Don't sleep on Cedric Benson

While the Packers are one of the worst rushing teams in the NFL while the 49ers are the best rushing defense in the NFL, sometimes strange things happen when you least expect it. There should be no complacency. We need to stop the run, especially in the 1st and 4th quarters.

5. The Element of Surprise

I'm sure that Harbaugh and Roman have a few tricks rolled up their sleeves. Last year, we saw everyone from Joe Staley and Isaac Sopoaga catch passes. In the preseason, we have barely seen anything from legitimate playmakers such as Randy Moss, LaMichael James, and A.J. Jenkins. With Kaepernick's potential, we should have him in the Wildcat down in the redzone.

• Chief
  • Veteran
Forum police, waaaaaaaaaaaareeeewhoooo reeehoooo... Waaaaaaaaaaareeeeewhoooo reeehooo.
I think the entire secondary needs to to play. Rogers got beat a lot against the Giants so he needs to better. I hope he does.

Be balance on offense. Put in longer drive to keep Rodgers and Co. on the side line. Strike deep when there's opportunities. Yes -- that's on you Alex Smith Then when the Packers offense does take the field, we have the NFL's best defense ready to clamp down.
Originally posted by taney71:
I think the entire secondary needs to to play. Rogers got beat a lot against the Giants so he needs to better. I hope he does.

I think we should only play with half of the secondary.

Really though, yea, it'll probably come down to how effectively our coverage/pass rush combo performs.
Originally posted by THEB:
Lets put it this way

Aaron Rogers and Greg Jennings are both on my fantasy team, and both will be on the bench in game one. Thats how ineffective the packers passing game will be because its so predictable since they couldnt run the ball if we gave them frank gore.

I dont know if you know, but stacking the box will only be easy street with the screen pass and wheel routes with Ginn. good luck doing that...and failing at it.

In your dreams bud. The Packers aren't much of a running team but their passing game is far from predictable. Its a very complex system in which all WRs can route the entire route tree on any given play. Its a very tough system for the WRs to learn but the end result is its very difficult to game plan for.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
You need to get that opening day 2011 game between the Saints out of your head.

49ers don't play that type of game.

BTW, I applaud you coming on here in enemy territory. I do so myself from time to time.

The big question I have for you is how do you explain your playoff loss to the Giants? That was a tough beating that can't be rationalized solely on Rodgers and the offense being "rusty" or unlucky.

Like I've said before, the biggest matchup issue in any big game the 49ers play this season is how their offense plays against the opposing team's defense. No matter how good any NFL offense is, it will more or less be controlled by the 49ers. The Saints were the only team to hang 30+ on us, and were pretty lucky to do it too.

If you can stop the 49ers offense then I would be concerned.

The 49ers did in the playoffs against the Saints. That was a total shootout.
Well if you actually watched the game
Even the most die hard cheesehead would have to admit that the Giants have had their number for some time now (remember they knocked them out in the playoffs in '07 as well).

Ask yourself what was so special about the NYG defense that has kept the Packers offense in check? Just the pass rush?

Perhaps you might say that they didn't keep them in check, and that they "kept up" with them (the regular season game particularly). We showed we could hang points on teams if we have too, like the Saints game.

Bottom line is this:

Last year, the only time we lost games was when the offensive line protection broke down (Ravens, Cardinals), or when the pass rush with four guys with press coverage on average receivers was tough to overcome (Giants) -- I won't count the Cowboys game in this discussion, although I believe the 2nd half of that game we were unable to give Smith enough time to do much.

I really put the offensive production (and team's winning percentage) mostly on the OL in pass protect mode. We haven't yet demonstrated as an offense (everyone, not just the QB) that we can overcome a s**tty OL production like some other teams...so protection is necessary. We protect Alex well we win....we sorta protect Alex it's 50/50.....we feed him to the wolves we lose.

I think it's important that we control the ball well and maintain the lead if possible to prevent GB from getting into a defensive mode that's favorable to them. I saw the Bears run the s*** out of the ball on Christmas with a no name QB. We should be able to do the same.

It should be very interesting to see how this game plays out. Man I haven't been this pumped/anxious for a regular season game since probably '94 Cowboys game!!!

Even the most die hard cheesehead would have to admit that the Giants have had their number for some time now (remember they knocked them out in the playoffs in '07 as well).

Ask yourself what was so special about the NYG defense that has kept the Packers offense in check? Just the pass rush?

Perhaps you might say that they didn't keep them in check, and that they "kept up" with them (the regular season game particularly). We showed we could hang points on teams if we have too, like the Saints game.

Bottom line is this:

Last year, the only time we lost games was when the offensive line protection broke down (Ravens, Cardinals), or when the pass rush with four guys with press coverage on average receivers was tough to overcome (Giants) -- I won't count the Cowboys game in this discussion, although I believe the 2nd half of that game we were unable to give Smith enough time to do much.

I really put the offensive production (and team's winning percentage) mostly on the OL in pass protect mode. We haven't yet demonstrated as an offense (everyone, not just the QB) that we can overcome a s**tty OL production like some other teams...so protection is necessary. We protect Alex well we win....we sorta protect Alex it's 50/50.....we feed him to the wolves we lose.

I think it's important that we control the ball well and maintain the lead if possible to prevent GB from getting into a defensive mode that's favorable to them. I saw the Bears run the s*** out of the ball on Christmas with a no name QB. We should be able to do the same.

It should be very interesting to see how this game plays out. Man I haven't been this pumped/anxious for a regular season game since probably '94 Cowboys game!!!

Well if you actually watched the game it was more about the Packers just playing very poorly on offense than the Giants actually keeping them in check. The Packers dropped 9 passes in that game and had guys fumble the ball that just flat out don't turnover the ball. They dropped more passes in that game than any team did all season. The Packers beat that same Giants team in New York just a few weeks before and also blew them out at Lambeau in a do or die playoff seeding scenario. Rodgers is 2-1 against the Giants and when you break it down didn't really play that bad in that playoff game.

That same Giants defense that "kept the Packers in check" completely stymied the 49ers offense in the NFCCG. The Patriots in the Super Bowl as well. When healthy that Giants front four is as good as it gets.
Share 49ersWebzone