There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

any douchebag cheeseheads show up yet?
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by jreff22:

I just found out yesterday our IT/CAD guy is a Packers fan when he worked on my computer and saw the 49er season wallpaper!

Would have never known otherwise. He seemed all too respectful and has no beef with SF (maybe because his wife is a fan).

I've heard good things about Packers fans welcoming visitors at tailgate but inside the stadium and on the forums, different story.

He also said that if you want to meet visiting players they all stay at the same hotel in Appleton and pass thru the lobby frequently.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Sep 1, 2012 at 5:11 AM ]
I don't gamble but the spreads tell a story. In Vegas the line opened at 6.5, it's down to 5 in some places. By game time I can see 4 1/2. Basically it's going from a touchdown to a bit more than a field goal, if it continues in that direction. Last year if the team received 4 1/2 points every game their record would have been 17-1 against the spread. The Ravens beat them by 10.
Wassup guys Pack fan here! Stoked for opener as most of you are im sure, should be a great game and could very likely be a playoff preview.

I'll be posting here the next week or so to gain some rival perspective.

My personal prediction: 31-23. GB
Packers get on the board first with a couple big plays early, forcing the 49ers to abandon the run and play catch up, an exercise in futility against the reigning MVP.
  • rserda
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aaronitout:
Wassup guys Pack fan here! Stoked for opener as most of you are im sure, should be a great game and could very likely be a playoff preview.

Packers get on the board first with a couple big plays early, forcing the 49ers to abandon the run and play catch up, an exercise in futility against the reigning MVP.

Harbaugh doesn't abandon the run
If the 49ers go down early, he better abandon the run.
Your not going to overcome a deficit to the Packers offense by pounding the rock, you just have air it out and hope your D can contain A-rod long enough to get back in to the game.

The Niners best chance of winning this one is getting on the board first, controlling the clock, and keeping the ball away from Airin' Godgers.
[ Edited by aaronitout on Sep 1, 2012 at 7:08 AM ]

What's up new dude.

We have the ability to stretch the field, which we did not last year. You cover that, the run will be much more effective. You stack the box, I believe you will see a whole new kind of SF offense. We have threats on the outside, inside and the backfield.
Im not completely sold on the 49ers new found ability to stretch the field just yet, just as im sure your not sold on the Packers new found ability to rush the passer outside of Clay.
Point being, week one isn't even here yet, so I would reserve my judgment on what they have or have not improved upon just yet.

That said, it would be significantly more difficult to stop the Niners if they succeed at stretching the field better than last year, but as it is Im looking for Capers to stack the box and force Alex into a shootout with A-rod.
[ Edited by aaronitout on Sep 1, 2012 at 7:31 AM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I just found out yesterday our IT/CAD guy is a Packers fan when he worked on my computer and saw the 49er season wallpaper!

Would have never known otherwise. He seemed all too respectful and has no beef with SF (maybe because his wife is a fan).

I've heard good things about Packers fans welcoming visitors at tailgate but inside the stadium and on the forums, different story.

He also said that if you want to meet visiting players they all stay at the same hotel in Appleton and pass thru the lobby frequently.

Great stuff to hear. Will be there for sure Section 305 Row 2 Seats 3 & 4.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

What's up new dude.

We have the ability to stretch the field, which we did not last year. You cover that, the run will be much more effective. You stack the box, I believe you will see a whole new kind of SF offense. We have threats on the outside, inside and the backfield.

Yes. With a weak defense as is you must stop Frank and Kendall and combat our Jumbo sets, shifts, and 2 TE sets. I don't see you stopping us from running unless you overload like everyone else and when you try you leave Vernon Davis or Randy Moss in single coverage. You will get owned if you do sooner or later because no single DB will stop Vernon Davis and anything less than an 8 man front won't slow Frank Gore.

No team runs up the score on our defense unless it is the Saints and that is because they have an offense that is multifaceted. They run and they pass well whereas all GB does well is pass the football. That is what we want defensively. We take away your run to make you 1 dimensional in order to get you off the field with either a turnover or a punt. We bend but don't break and give you 3 points if that, we hit your QB and take away his scramble with our LBs, we strip your ball carriers and take away the pill, we rule field position on special teams and convert every kick. We make you score from 85 yds out then we take the ball, pound the rock and sit your QB by the Gatorade for 35+ mins of the game.

GB will be at home and pumped for the opener, but we will be hungry for respect. Should be a good game, but just as our QB has been less than elite, the same can be said for GB defense and running game last season. I do however expect Aaron Rodgers to be as always, out to let us know that we should have drafted him and try and stick it to his childhood team of choice that he so desperately wanted to play for but is thankful he didn't yet it must eat away at him in seeing our success last year knowing that if he were here and not Alex we should have won. I expect Alex to also want to put up a good showing in his own way and that being walking out with a win by any means necessary. But I do know that Aaron will be playing with that chip but I am looking for our defense to play with one also.
The Pack had the number 2 offense in league history last year and teams knew they were going to pass almost every down, so I don't understand the reasoning that NO could only put up big numbers because of there multi dimensional offense.
Its a new game today and the short pass can set up the deep/intermediate passes just as effective as the run can. (BTW Cedric Benson has been an 1000 yard rusher his past 3 seasons).

Im not sold on the 49ers deep ball being significantly better just because the addition of a Wr who is far, far, FAR, past his prime.
Forcing the League MVP in to turnovers and 3 and outs is alot easier said then done, his arm strength, accuracy, mobility and awareness leave the 49ers D with a much smaller margin for error then anyone they faced last year.

And I don't think A-rod is losing any sleep over the Niners not drafting him. (With that shiny SB ring and all..)
In fact, I think the Niners desicion to take Alex is eating them up much, much more than it is to Aaron Rodgers.
[ Edited by aaronitout on Sep 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM ]
If the 49ers go down early, he better abandon the run.
Your not going to overcome a deficit to the Packers offense by pounding the rock, you just have air it out and hope your D can contain A-rod long enough to get back in to the game.

The Niners best chance of winning this one is getting on the board first, controlling the clock, and keeping the ball away from Airin' Godgers.

we will NOT abandon the run so quickly against that swiss cheese holey packers front 7
Like I said, if the Packers manage to seize the lead early, Harb isn't going to have much of a choice, Capers will start stacking the box in order to force the Niners in to a shootout.
I don't think I have to tell you what happens to teams that are forced to try and simply out gun the Packers, but I will anyways.
They lose.

Of course, if Harb tries to force the run game while trailing the Pack on the scoreboard, I would be COMPLETLY content with that, as it would only accelerate a Packers victory..

But, like I said once again, if the Niners grab the lead early, that's a whole new ball game. (One that I personally, want to avoid.)
[ Edited by aaronitout on Sep 1, 2012 at 8:31 AM ]
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Lets put it this way

Aaron Rogers and Greg Jennings are both on my fantasy team, and both will be on the bench in game one. Thats how ineffective the packers passing game will be because its so predictable since they couldnt run the ball if we gave them frank gore.

I dont know if you know, but stacking the box will only be easy street with the screen pass and wheel routes with Ginn. good luck doing that...and failing at it.
[ Edited by THEB on Sep 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home