There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

Greenbay can suck it. I've hated that team for a long time. NINERS 34 - 14
[ Edited by 11to85forever on Aug 31, 2012 at 9:20 PM ]
6-3
Even the most die hard cheesehead would have to admit that the Giants have had their number for some time now (remember they knocked them out in the playoffs in '07 as well).

Ask yourself what was so special about the NYG defense that has kept the Packers offense in check? Just the pass rush?

Perhaps you might say that they didn't keep them in check, and that they "kept up" with them (the regular season game particularly). We showed we could hang points on teams if we have too, like the Saints game.

Bottom line is this:

Last year, the only time we lost games was when the offensive line protection broke down (Ravens, Cardinals), or when the pass rush with four guys with press coverage on average receivers was tough to overcome (Giants) -- I won't count the Cowboys game in this discussion, although I believe the 2nd half of that game we were unable to give Smith enough time to do much.

I really put the offensive production (and team's winning percentage) mostly on the OL in pass protect mode. We haven't yet demonstrated as an offense (everyone, not just the QB) that we can overcome a s**tty OL production like some other teams...so protection is necessary. We protect Alex well we win....we sorta protect Alex it's 50/50.....we feed him to the wolves we lose.

I think it's important that we control the ball well and maintain the lead if possible to prevent GB from getting into a defensive mode that's favorable to them. I saw the Bears run the s*** out of the ball on Christmas with a no name QB. We should be able to do the same.

It should be very interesting to see how this game plays out. Man I haven't been this pumped/anxious for a regular season game since probably '94 Cowboys game!!!
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Aug 31, 2012 at 9:43 PM ]
^Good post... I am pretty confident we can protect Alex. Might not mean anything but last time we played them Anthony Davis held their best pass rusher Clay Matthews in check. Don't think he had a sack and that's when Anthony was struggling. Also, goes without saying if we can pound the ball down their throats, play action, take some shots deep to keep them honest that will go a long ways towards victory. We have to control the clock.... getting into a shootout with them is not how our team wins. Pretty simple... play it like all other games..... make them earn their points (field goals, no cheap long td's)... eat clock on offense and keep the ball out of their hands... play good defense and special teams. Easier said than done.

For some reason when we play in GB we forget how to tackle. The tackling in pre season by the starters has been suspect but I am hoping because it's just pre season and they aren't going all out. Goldson especially... have to tackle these guys... we do it to everyone else.. we were the best tackling team in the league. Also, hold our ground and play our game even if we get down early. We can come back and have done it before in GB (although we didn't win, made it close)... just can't get rattled and fall apart. Also, I think the 1st drive on offense is key. There crowd will be amped as heck. We can't start the game with a false start and then give up a sack or a sack and fumble. If we can quiet them down and move the ball it should set the tone for the game.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM ]
Up 35-17 with about a minute left. 4th and 2. Harbs decides to put the league on notice. Alex boots left 44 yards to the house, 42-17 win. Pete Carroll cries in his cereal the next morning watching highlights having flashbacks and retires.
how are the pack doing injury wise?
Originally posted by jreff22:
how are the pack doing injury wise?

PUP...Zombo and Quarless IR.....Bishop and Soto..... Theres a few other guys I havent heard of.

Ive never found a decent fan forum on the team and their team site leaves alot to be desired. If youve ever been to WI and attempted to follow the sports writers there, well, I'm sorry.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frozen49er:
PUP...Zombo and Quarless IR.....Bishop and Soto..... Theres a few other guys I havent heard of.

Ive never found a decent fan forum on the team and their team site leaves alot to be desired. If youve ever been to WI and attempted to follow the sports writers there, well, I'm sorry.

Probably heir best LB against the run. gonna run all over them
Originally posted by ImaMod:

I think Hawk is their best run LB, but either way its really splitting hairs, Mathews is a one trick pony with pressure, I dont worry about him in the run game. The big loss I see against us is the loss of Zombo (no really) guy is really good at short yardage and keeping the free rusher (Aldon vs. Newhouse) off of Rodgers. Newhouse is a disaster. With Zombo gone, that keeps Finely in to help pass protect, and without Quarless, they essentially wont have a TE in the game. Unless we cant get pressure, then Finely becomes a WR again and we have all sorts of problems.
This is just a really tough game for us. The Packers were 15 - 1. And lost a bad one to the Giants in the playoffs. They will be so ticked off and protecting their home field to start the season. I would really like us to win but I could see a Packer win game 1. I hate to start 0 - 1 but this is a tough opening game. If we win this we really have an awesome team. If we lose I could still see a 10 - 11 win season. If we win this IMO 13 - 3 is possible again. We can be that good despite the schedule.

Raji hurt his ankle on Thursday, doesn't sound like a big deal though.

I too will be there representing! Section 105, Row 16, seat 16. We all know what number 16 means to Niner fans and I'll have my Montana jersey on. It's a sign!

I don't like this being the first game of the season, but what do you do. I think we can win a close game. Contain Rodgers, grind it out on the ground, dominate the time of possession and score 20-25 points and I think we can pull it off.
[ Edited by GBNinerFan on Sep 1, 2012 at 12:12 AM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Raji hurt his ankle on Thursday, doesn't sound like a big deal though.

I too will be there representing! Section 105, Row 16, seat 16. We all know what number 16 means to Niner fans and I'll have my Montana jersey on. It's a sign!

I don't like this being the first game of the season, but what do you do. I think we can win a close game. Contain Rodgers, grind it out on the ground, dominate the time of possession and score 20-25 points and I think we can pull it off.

I think we'll win 42-0
Niners 30-21
This will be a great game, a tuff win for both teams.
Can't f'n wait!

His little brother was on my highschool football team and he would come to our practices every once in a while.. awesome guy..

Just hope he is really hurt this week