There are 234 users in the forums

Preseason Week 3: Thoughts after re-watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Starting D: Completely not worried. Much ado about nothing. No Bowman. No Aldon. 5th CB playing Nickel. No Gameplan. This is well covered territory but I figured I'd join th Chorus. The Niners are going to give up passing yards this year. It'll happen. They are SOOO good against the run that some teams will simply stop trying. The ball will be in the air OFTEN. That is going to create opportunities for Turnovers. Thats how they got 38 last year. Expect the Niners to finish middle of the pack if not below in pas defense in terms of yards allowed because they will see several teams this year put the ball up 60 or more times. Just get used to it now.

2) Ginn: Damn. I hope he's back soon. I am not all that concerned about Williams tho. I think he's due for some redemption. I'd rather have a guy who is HUNGRY and makes a few mistakes than a guy who is too scared to roll his helmet out there. He made 2 big mistakes in the NFC Championship, but he isn't the only reason they lost. Niners had plenty of opportunities and they never took advantage of them. I for one would love to see him take one to the house at Candlestick.

3) Pass Protection: Still not worried. Still no game plan. Still hyper Vanilla. Frank is playing VERY little. When they turn it up a notch it's gonna be a whole different ballgame. They aren't showing ANYTHING for the Packers to gameplan. NOTHING. They still look dominant in the Run Game too...especially when they line up their new 355 lb. "Tight End", Leonard Davis. ;-)

4) Kaep: I'm still not sold, but he had himself some nice throws. He has always been very good throwing on the run. My concern with him is always throwing from a conventional offense. He just looks uncomfortable and the ball comes out late. Even the long completion to Williams was very close to an interception or a break up. He has SOOOO much raw potential tho. Sitting for a few years is probably the best thing that could happen to him.

5) Dixon: Not a fan. What I loved most about LaMichael James in college wasn't his speed or his moves, it was his decisiveness. He sees it and just GOES. No hesitation. Dixon thinks he's a smaller back. He runs hard. It's not an effort thing, he just doesn't seem to have the vision to find the hole and just GO. The long run was nice but that was a HUGE hole.

6) Parrish Cox: I've said before that I'm iffy on his character, but the guy is a keeper on the field. The INT was more of a bad pass by the QB than a great play by him, but he does seem to be around the ball alot and is an aggresive tackler. I like that.

7) Trumaine Brock (sp?): Guy seems to be moving backwards. It seems like anytime he's in the game the other team knows it and is going after him. He got beat by Manningham in NFCCG for a TD. Not confident in him at all.

8) Alex: No, he isn't lighting things up. The O isn't really trying to do anything to creative. What he IS tho is very confident and sure of himself. I like what I see.

9) Akers: Still Awesome.

10) Is it Sept 9th yet?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
5) I swear that Dixon didn't dance in college... it's weird that he does now. I think he also ran more upright in college.

10) I wish!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
11) Pre-season play calling sucks major ass, I think old Jimmy is a bit too paranoid.
I was waiting for this thread to pop up! Thanks man
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
11) Pre-season play calling sucks major ass, I think old Jimmy is a bit too paranoid.

Are you being paranoid if they really are out to get you?

13-3

I'm fine with whatever Harbaugh thinks is best right now. He's earned that.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Wodwo:

13-3

13-3 is fine but he should think about the entertainment level for us fans. Who likes to watch run power right over and over with fat D linemen as lead blockers. Jimmy needs to put us fans first and make sure we are entertained.

Because I was so not entertained

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
13-3 is fine but he should think about the entertainment level for us fans. Who likes to watch run power right over and over with fat D linemen as lead blockers. Jimmy needs to put us fans first and make sure we are entertained.

Well, we're going to get a chance to see if the offense is more explosive or not in a couple weeks.

If Coach keeps things ultra conservative after adding Moss and Manningham, you might want to start watching another team if this one doesn't get your blood pumping.
Good write up.

Agree about our defense.

Also excited about perish cox.

Brock getting picked on by Eli and Peyton is one thing but Caleb Hainie was targeting him. I will not be mad if we replace him with another teams final cuts.

Not a huge fan of sentences like "He just looks uncomfortable" describing Kaep and describing Alex as confident
And sure of himself. IMO both don't actually mean anything. Similar to when Tolzien gets described as having "having great control of the huddle." just really empty words that are just made up out of thin air.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:

Not a huge fan of sentences like "He just looks uncomfortable" describing Kaep and describing Alex as confident
And sure of himself. IMO both don't actually mean anything. Similar to when Tolzien gets described as having "having great control of the huddle." just really empty words that are just made up out of thin air.

Alex really needs to get his knuckle in the center of the a*****e.

Is that a better analysis?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I for one would love to see him take one to the house at Candlestick.

That makes two of us!

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Andy Lee - still my future babydaddy.
Tolzien should be our #2. i know his stats wasn't great but he makes quick decisions, throws accurately and just looks so smooth and comfortable. I would love to see him play a whole half.
Love it!

The only refute I have is the "vanilla" game plan. There was NOTHING vanilla about the offensive play calling. In fact, whether it was Roman or Alex calling the game (or both), that was one of the most creative games I've ever seen the Niners call.

Check out all the pre snap movement, 3 TE sets, 4 WR's, jumbo/max protection packages, etc. Crazy! One play in particular had not one pre snap shift, not two, not three but FOUR major pre snap shifts. Crabtree absolutely got lost in the mix (it helped that he also fell down and got lost even more - the old TE move for the TD). Very creative game plan.

Post #134
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/167029-offensive-line-hold-back-49ers-offense-season/page9/
Originally posted by Wodwo:

13-3

You know what IS entertaining? Playing in the &#_&#$_&#_$+# Playoffs.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
You know what IS entertaining? Playing in the &#_&#$_&#_$+# Playoffs.

BOOM!

Share 49ersWebzone