Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
How would you guys rate him?

Top 10 CB?
Top 20 CB?
Top 32 CB?

Tough to rate him. He hasn't played a full season as a starter. In 2013, he was playing like a Top 20 corner.

That would be really good, because you figure there's 64 starting CBs. I'm not so sure I'd rate him that high. I was thinking somewhere between 20-32, which is still good.

I think D.Johnson will be looked at as a top 20 CB when the year is over.

Hopefully Brock is healthy and picks up where he left off in 2013. PFF graded him out in the Top 10, and that was in a part-time role. Was hoping he would really shine as a starter, but that turf toe injury wrecked his season. When healthy, he showed really good cover skills and made plays on the ball. I think he can definitely be in the 20-32 range if healthy.

Johnson showed some promise as a rookie. It's going to be hard getting him on the field, assuming Brock and Wright start, and Ward is in the slot. But he's definitely a guy to keep our eye on. He has a lot of ability.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to rate CB's individually. I think it's safe to say as a unit, we're top 5...they all are...individually? Top 10...15? Sure!

Do you guys really think Wright is going to start over Johnson? And of he did start over Johnson, I would think that Johnson would play nickle over Ward.
Brock wont be any good hes undersized, just ask ElephantHaley
Do you guys really think Wright is going to start over Johnson? And of he did start over Johnson, I would think that Johnson would play nickle over Ward.

I think that's the plan. We're paying Wright $3 mil this year. No way they give that kind of money if they don't plan on starting him.

I think Ward will get first crack at slot corner again, assuming he's healthy. That's what he was drafted for, and his skill set is ideal for the position. Johnson is tall, lanky, rangy. I like him better on the outside than the slot.
  • thl408
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by DeUh:

Bump

I miss this hyphy mofo.

That play at 1:18 was fantastic when seen from overhead. In this clip, there are several examples of him in off coverage, reading a QB's movement and breaking on the throw. 2013 Brock was deserving of a top 10 PFF grade. There's nothing this guy couldn't do. Press, cushion, run support, make INTs, he did it all.
This season more than ever he needs to stay healthy
Originally posted by thl408:
That play at 1:18 was fantastic when seen from overhead. In this clip, there are several examples of him in off coverage, reading a QB's movement and breaking on the throw. 2013 Brock was deserving of a top 10 PFF grade. There's nothing this guy couldn't do. Press, cushion, run support, make INTs, he did it all.
It's not like he had a really bad injury, just a bunch of "nagging" ones. I don't see why he couldn't return to his 2013 form.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Top 10 CB?
Top 20 CB?
Top 32 CB?

Tough to rate him. He hasn't played a full season as a starter. In 2013, he was playing like a Top 20 corner.

That would be really good, because you figure there's 64 starting CBs. I'm not so sure I'd rate him that high. I was thinking somewhere between 20-32, which is still good.

Hopefully Brock is healthy and picks up where he left off in 2013. PFF graded him out in the Top 10, and that was in a part-time role. Was hoping he would really shine as a starter, but that turf toe injury wrecked his season. When healthy, he showed really good cover skills and made plays on the ball. I think he can definitely be in the 20-32 range if healthy.

Johnson showed some promise as a rookie. It's going to be hard getting him on the field, assuming Brock and Wright start, and Ward is in the slot. But he's definitely a guy to keep our eye on. He has a lot of ability.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to rate CB's individually. I think it's safe to say as a unit, we're top 5...they all are...individually? Top 10...15? Sure!

Brock was the 14th overall CB in 2013 and was tied score wise with P Peterson. Pass rush will always make any CB better, so as long as we have a stable of pass rushers I'm confident in our secondary
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Top 10 CB?
Top 20 CB?
Top 32 CB?

Brock was the 14th overall CB in 2013 and was tied score wise with P Peterson. Pass rush will always make any CB better, so as long as we have a stable of pass rushers I'm confident in our secondary

If you go by salary cap then Brock and Wright are your starters. That said, Trent loves HIS guys too in Johnson, Reaser, Acker and finds like Cook, McFadden and Cromartie. This battle is going to be intense! Brock is going to have to return to form though as is Ward. If not, we have a lot of DBs ready to step in.

Thl408 is right. Brock was a terrific player in 2013 earning that contact extension.

PS: I believe he's also left-handed too which is advantageous when playing LCB.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 25, 2015 at 7:59 AM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Seems to be injured a lot Hope he can come back strong this season

wish we could've seen him and Cox play along side each other this year.

Both ball hawks who don't get burnt often.
Brock catches away from his body better than VD
Originally posted by Afrikan:
wish we could've seen him and Cox play along side each other this year.

Both ball hawks who don't get burnt often.

Wish we could've seen him & Culliver starting together last year. Man I hope Brock can stay on the field this season, he's one of the best when healthy.
I really hope he can stay healthy all yr long. Before he got hurt he looked ready to take the next step forward. We need a healthy Brock out there this yr with both Culliver N Cox gone we can't afford to be thin at CB position.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I really hope he can stay healthy all yr long. Before he got hurt he looked ready to take the next step forward. We need a healthy Brock out there this yr with both Culliver N Cox gone we can't afford to be thin at CB position.

As long as we don't play on turf that often ..we should be good
Share 49ersWebzone