There are 352 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who makes/missed the 53 man roster?

• fryet
  • Veteran
Maiocco makes predictions on who will make and not make the roster.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Projected-49ers-53-man-roster-and-practi?blockID=762427&feedID=5936

A few highlights:
all 4 QB make it
Dixon is cut
6 receives are kept (Owusu is moved to practice squad)
Nathan Palmer and Tyms are not kept on practice squad
Konrad Reuland only makes practice squad
Eric Bakhtiari is cut
Jason Slowey is placed on the practice squad

Maiocco seems to think that we can keep 4 QB and trade one of them. Personally, I don't think any of the 3 backup QBs have played well enough to garner support for another team trading for them.
JJ should just be cut
If Jacobs doesnt need the PUP I think Dixon gets cut
Originally posted by jreff22:
JJ should just be cut
If Jacobs doesnt need the PUP I think Dixon gets cut

agreed, no reason to keep 4 QBs and Tolzien is better than JJ, imo
I dont see an issue with all 4 QBs making the team.

I don't think Ian Williams will pass waivers if cut. I can see 7 LBs, Dobbs can play Outside as a rusher.

I dont think Jacobs is placed on PUP, which makes him out for 6 weeks, which he likely wont miss that much time, so Dixon is gone.

Surprised by Only Owusu, and not Tyms and/or Palmer. They gave Palmer a $10K bonus to sign.

Josh Johnson if cut would cost $175k in dead money. We are close to the cap, right now at around $2.7m under. It's gonna be a tight fit if we do keep Haralson. Because when cuts are made, players 52-61 will now count(53 man and 8 man p-squad), plus if anyone is on IR, PUP or NFI.

Just say we keep JJ, and Haralson, and then the last 2 active are rookies, plus the 8 ps players, thats shaved $1,555,200 off cap room available, leaving a tight fit of only $1,144,800 to play with. And might be lower due to new dead money.
My take on the 49ers 53 man roster. Would love some feedback on it guys!

http://sfsportscave.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-take-on-49ers-53-man-roster.html
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I don't think Ian Williams will pass waivers if cut. I can see 7 LBs, Dobbs can play Outside as a rusher.

I dont think Jacobs is placed on PUP, which makes him out for 6 weeks, which he likely wont miss that much time, so Dixon is gone.

Surprised by Only Owusu, and not Tyms and/or Palmer. They gave Palmer a $10K bonus to sign.

Josh Johnson if cut would cost $175k in dead money. We are close to the cap, right now at around $2.7m under. It's gonna be a tight fit if we do keep Haralson. Because when cuts are made, players 52-61 will now count(53 man and 8 man p-squad), plus if anyone is on IR, PUP or NFI.

Just say we keep JJ, and Haralson, and then the last 2 active are rookies, plus the 8 ps players, thats shaved $1,555,200 off cap room available, leaving a tight fit of only $1,144,800 to play with. And might be lower due to new dead money.

I see no reason to keep 4 QB's. Let Josh Johnson go. There's a good chance he'll be a free agent through the year if Alex has to go on IR for some reason.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I see no reason to keep 4 QB's. Let Josh Johnson go. There's a good chance he'll be a free agent through the year if Alex has to go on IR for some reason.

I overlooked a few things, I am doing a mock spreadsheet, and it seems tough, but I remember a vet credit for a player on roster prior to offseason, last year it was 3 1M credits, this year it is 1 1.5M credit, so we could be using it on Haralson to keep him on the roster. Plus It seems we aren't using the extra $1.6M credit from uncapped year violations by Dallas and Washington, which can be used in 2013.
Josh Johnson needs to go, holding on to 4 QB's is nuts. I'd rather see the WR's go balls to the wall and keep 7 WR's, giving either Palmer or Tyms a roster spot then having a 3rd guy standing around hoping to be able to hold the clipboard at one point in time.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Mike Person?
http://www.nfl.com/player/mikeperson/2508140/profile
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Josh Johnson needs to go, holding on to 4 QB's is nuts. I'd rather see the WR's go balls to the wall and keep 7 WR's, giving either Palmer or Tyms a roster spot then having a 3rd guy standing around hoping to be able to hold the clipboard at one point in time.

I agree. cut JJ. (no hard feelings to harbs lol)
Mike Person?

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Mike Person?

Yeah, I think it will be Person and Looney over Slowey and Beeler. Other than that I think it's on point . . . and I didn't used to think this, but after watching Rock Cartwright for two games I think they're going to find a spot for him at the expense of Ian Williams, Bakhtiari, Brock or Jones.
I think it's Person and Looney and I'm hoping Williams makes the cut over Jones.
Josh Johnson will make the team,.i don't think they will keep two inexperienced qbs behind Alex.imo
Not sure what assurances Harbaugh gave Johnson when he signed but he may be attached to his former college QB. Would be an interesting battle for wildcat QB with CK.

This may be Person's last chance. He has not developed quickly and these days OL are expected to do so (as much as I do not agree with this). Would love to see a protected practice squad...no cuts, but that didn't happen in the last contract so is very unlikely to happen. Don't see Looney making it to the PS. To much potential.

Like most of the Cave's list and really like the clean format.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5timechamps:
Josh Johnson will make the team,.i don't think they will keep two inexperienced qbs behind Alex.imo
You have a good point but what does it say for josh that a vet could not beat out a second year kid?I guess that one between scott and josh will boil down to what the brass wants,, a vet or a person filled with potential. I am still nervous about a second year player coming if if alex gets hurt but the coaches are ok so i am ok.There are two wrenches that have been thrown into the mix and those are the injuries to bowman and jacobs. If they had not occured I think we will see dixon gone monday and maybe one or two of those llinebackers but now maybe those guys have a longer leash. The backup safety is a big issue to me