There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

POLL: Is Colin Kaepernick getting a free pass to No. 2?

Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
Points and int's are what matters for qbs. Keap is beating tolz ass against better compettion.

Agreed.

But I'll go two steps forward on this.

STEP ONE:
I also think hes made some throws that NO ONE else on the team could make. Hes made some ill advised ones too. But hes still only in his second year. The point is, you can be good/solid if you make good decisions. if you can do that, and you have a cannon, you can be great.

STEP TWO:
I think Tolzien is the one getting the "pass." Everytime I read these posts about him as the second coming, i reread, and insert "Nate Davis" in the post. Same guys hot on him, are now hot on our guy who plays against 3rd string Ds.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by kush:
Seriously, GreAT post bro.

What are ppl thinking, Taylor Mays should be proof that 2nd rounders are given EVERY chance to earn a job. Hell, Baalke refused to cut him loose purely because of his draft position and the fact that Trent didn't want to look like a fool.

/thread

Was Mays not cut the year after he was drafted? I believe
this post is Invalrod

Yeah, not to mention there were whispers up and down throughout management (his rookie here) that Mays was a 'b*****d Singletary pick', and it wasn't Baalke's fault he had to follow off of McCloughan's leftover draft board a mere month after Scot's office was pillaged! -Baalke was a 'temp' GM, couldn't do anything until he was a 'legit' GM (last season) to toss Taylor's ass onto the street.

I was being sarcastic, lolzerzzz
Originally posted by Lunchwagon:
Agreed.

But I'll go two steps forward on this.

STEP ONE:
I also think hes made some throws that NO ONE else on the team could make. Hes made some ill advised ones too. But hes still only in his second year. The point is, you can be good/solid if you make good decisions. if you can do that, and you have a cannon, you can be great.

STEP TWO:
I think Tolzien is the one getting the "pass." Everytime I read these posts about him as the second coming, i reread, and insert "Nate Davis" in the post. Same guys hot on him, are now hot on our guy who plays against 3rd string Ds.

on step one:

i agree he can make throws no one on this team can make but i dont remember seeing anything special yet and i dont think his problem is decision making its timing

o step 2: i sprt of agree with you tolzein doesnt deserve all the praise hes getting but out of the backups he has the best pocket prensece and he has the best timing
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
on step one:

i agree he can make throws no one on this team can make but i dont remember seeing anything special yet and i dont think his problem is decision making its timing

o step 2: i sprt of agree with you tolzein doesnt deserve all the praise hes getting but out of the backups he has the best pocket prensece and he has the best timing

I think Kaeps timing is a result of not deciding fast enough. Hes made some great throws, back shoulders, outs, stops. I think it gets slow when he gets to his third or fourth, and doesnt realize, "i should have thrown that ball a split second ago but heres a few more MPH". Defense closes, and its a knocked down would be interception. I think all this stuff can be learned. Speed and arm strength cant be learned.

Tolziens "timing" IMO comes from the fact that the third string DBs just cant move as quickly to the ball. 1st and 2nd reads are more open, defenses more vanilla. That being said about Tolzien, is i do think he moves around in the pocket like a good NFL qb. I think he can benefit from some more coaching also. I would be thrilled if he ends up on the team.

All this said, If Alex is our man, i dont want him going down. If he does, I think Kaep gives us the best chance to score points and WIN.
To go back in time a few months...some of you were ready to let Alex go and have Kap take over....or let JJ do it!!

Originally posted by DirtyP:
So the question really is "Does Harbaugh know what he is doing with QBs?"

lmao

/thread
Tolzien looks like he's in the running for the number 2 spot.
Colin Kaepernick has the mentality and makeup required to be one of the best players in the NFL. You can see it with the complete and total confidence he exudes when he has the ball. His problem is he's still a raw project who isn't mentally ready to read and stay ahead of NFL defenses. With time and experience he can achieve anything he wants to. He needs to tune up his accuracy as well though, which is why he isn't a starter yet.

Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke know what they're doing. Kaepernick is a better QB than Josh Johnson or Scott Tolzien period.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
To go back in time a few months...some of you were ready to let Alex go and have Kap take over....or let JJ do it!!

I know there will be growing pains with Kaep but I believe if he was getting all the 1st team snaps and starting for a year he would be a more effective QB than Alex.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Kaep is only #2 because he was picked in the 2nd round. And we traded up for him. So there is a lot of capital built up with that. On his play he is clearly a #3 or #4 QB. I sure wouldn't want him going in if Alex got hurt. I'd take either of the 2 others for a regular season game. Kaep is more like a tall RB. Maybe an option guy or wildcat once in a while. I have no idea what we are going to do with him? But I really wish we had traded up for Andy Dalton instead.

BUT, BUT, BUT Tolzien is the next big thing he´s Marino, Montana, Manning, Brady all together, even better than the GREAT Nate Davis.

C´mon he played solid against 3rd and 4th stringers.
[ Edited by JeuSF49 on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:30 AM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngb:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Kaep is only #2 because he was picked in the 2nd round. And we traded up for him. So there is a lot of capital built up with that. On his play he is clearly a #3 or #4 QB. I sure wouldn't want him going in if Alex got hurt. I'd take either of the 2 others for a regular season game. Kaep is more like a tall RB. Maybe an option guy or wildcat once in a while. I have no idea what we are going to do with him? But I really wish we had traded up for Andy Dalton instead.

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by cciowa:
lots of people here were sucked in by mays cuz he hit hard and they had visions of ronnie lott the second. back to topic it is way to early to analyze james in my opinion. some people have him as a bust which is not logical given he has only played a little bit of pre season.. some people have him as third best running back and second or third best punt returner. i am sorry but he has shown nothing in this area to warrant that type of a crown. he was drafted high, he has somewhat of a long leash and hopefully his ankle is ok so he can play in the last two games and show us and the coaches what he has

LMJ is playing catchup, remember, he couldn't join the team till after his schools graduation had been had, a stupid rule if you ask me.One he doesn't have to think and just do, then he should be able to show more.

Hunter had no off season at all last year and came in and tore it up in the pre season.
susweet is right. and unlike korey sheets, hunter actually carried his good play over into the regular season

I don't disagree, but LMJ is coming from a different offensive enviro, getting used to the huddle, their style of offense was executed differently, hard to say how much or if in comparison to Hunter who had the greater adjustment to make. Plus small things like how much reps a player gets is important to. LMJ is also slpitting more time with ST, Hunter really didn't spend as much time last year on ST. If you don't think it takes away from a first year player you are mistaken.
I think Kap is going to be a bust. I hope I'm wrong. He was projected to be a 3rd round QB and we reached for him in the 2nd round. How many elite QB's were drafted in the 3rd round or lower? Montana and Brady come to mind but they're few and far between.
"The Great Nate Davis"

**falls off stool laughing**
[ Edited by Olejohnnyboy on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:02 AM ]