There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

From what I've seen from Tolzien, 2011/2012 preseasons, his QUICK RELEASE and ACCURACY is what, as of this day, makes ARodgers, DBrees, and TBrady ELITE QB's in the NFL...this is what I see in Scott Tolzien. With a little more brushing up on his READS and ADJUSTMENTS, this kid is going to be something special. And this coming from a guy thats only played in 2 NFL Preseason games...with no experience. It says a lot to what the eye see's.

I strongly believe JH will not....REPEAT...will not put this kid on the practice squad, because he will definitely be GONE. JH knows what he has./wants from his QB's and this kid has proven himself, being the UDFA that he is, that he is truly a competitor. Also, i truly believe this kids has a CHIP on his shoulder to prove that he's NFL Calibur and whats to prove all the "naysayers" wrong. If the Lions and Rams rookie QB's can be successful in their rookie campaigns, why can't Tolzien? Also, whats scary is that this kid has been on the bench observing, practicing, and learning (Isn't that what Aaron Rodgers did???). What's the saying "Practice Make Perfect".

Give the kid his due...put yourself in his shoe, and all you hear about is Kaps and JJ of being 2nd, knowing your not even being mentioned in the conversation...EXACTLY....what I thought.
Originally posted by ACUK:
Having only watched Tolzien in the chargers and vikings games, I have been impressed with him, more impressed with him than what I have seen of CK, I hope to see the some more progress being made from Tolzien in the next few preseason games and just hope that we hang onto him.
I am not a big CK fan at the moment and not sure how much he is going to develop passing in the pocket, at the moment I am seeing a thinner, taller Tebow.

My ideal would be:

1st Smith
2nd Tolzien
3rd Johnson

Trade Kaepernick

Not gonna happen.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rserda:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Well lets say Alex gets benched due to poor play. Who would you want then? This may have been addressed but to me that makes things a little different. The edge might go back to Kaepernick in that case seeing how I think in the long run he has more to offer than Tolzien. I think Tolzien would make a great QB for a couple games but I just don't think he has enough all around "talent" to be a 1st string QB day in and day out. Obviously just my opinion but I there is a reason he was undrafted

I also think maybe you go with Johnson seeing how he's the most experienced.

And why would Alex get benched due to poor play? Stop hating

cause he's been benched before for that reason, just saying
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by rserda:
Well lets say Alex gets benched due to poor play. Who would you want then? This may have been addressed but to me that makes things a little different. The edge might go back to Kaepernick in that case seeing how I think in the long run he has more to offer than Tolzien. I think Tolzien would make a great QB for a couple games but I just don't think he has enough all around "talent" to be a 1st string QB day in and day out. Obviously just my opinion but I there is a reason he was undrafted

I also think maybe you go with Johnson seeing how he's the most experienced.

And why would Alex get benched due to poor play? Stop hating

cause he's been benched before for that reason, just saying

under Harbaugh?
Why are you listing Tolzien at #3?.......

He's much better than that.
Originally posted by N9er4LIFE:
From what I've seen from Tolzien, 2011/2012 preseasons, his QUICK RELEASE and ACCURACY is what, as of this day, makes ARodgers, DBrees, and TBrady ELITE QB's in the NFL...this is what I see in Scott Tolzien. With a little more brushing up on his READS and ADJUSTMENTS, this kid is going to be something special. And this coming from a guy thats only played in 2 NFL Preseason games...with no experience. It says a lot to what the eye see's.

I strongly believe JH will not....REPEAT...will not put this kid on the practice squad, because he will definitely be GONE. JH knows what he has./wants from his QB's and this kid has proven himself, being the UDFA that he is, that he is truly a competitor. Also, i truly believe this kids has a CHIP on his shoulder to prove that he's NFL Calibur and whats to prove all the "naysayers" wrong. If the Lions and Rams rookie QB's can be successful in their rookie campaigns, why can't Tolzien? Also, whats scary is that this kid has been on the bench observing, practicing, and learning (Isn't that what Aaron Rodgers did???). What's the saying "Practice Make Perfect".

Give the kid his due...put yourself in his shoe, and all you hear about is Kaps and JJ of being 2nd, knowing your not even being mentioned in the conversation...EXACTLY....what I thought.

Welcome... And good 1st post.

Tolzien definitely passes the eyeball test. To me he looks more like an NFL QB than ether CK or JJ. Completely agree that Tolzien would get claimed if they tried to sneak him onto the practice squad.

I think JJ is the odd man out.
  • kush
  • Veteran
According to Eric Branch, Harbaugh says the QB rotation may switch this week with Josh Johnson coming in 3rd and Tolzien coming in 4th.

Originally posted by kush:
According to Eric Branch, Harbaugh says the QB rotation may switch this week with Josh Johnson coming in 3rd and Tolzien coming in 4th.

booooooooooo
"He's really good," said Whitner, a six-year veteran. "He understands the reads. We can rarely trick him on the back end from a defensive-back standpoint and he knows where to go with the football … The other day in the game I thought he looked as good anybody out there on the football field."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/08/12/high-praise-whitner-discusses-tolzien-in-saintly-terms/

tolzien > johnson
Originally posted by kush:

I called this.
"He's really good," said Whitner, a six-year veteran. "He understands the reads. We can rarely trick him on the back end from a defensive-back standpoint and he knows where to go with the football … The other day in the game I thought he looked as good anybody out there on the football field."

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/08/12/high-praise-whitner-discusses-tolzien-in-saintly-terms/

thankx for the link...other interesting quotes.

He didn't take a snap as a rookie – he was inactive for each game – but he did learn. And his knowledge of the offense has made him comfortable teaching others this season.

Whitner's eyes were opened during a recent practice when Tolzien corrected wide receiver Brian Tyms after the undrafted rookie ran a lackadaisical fade route. Tolzien's message: "Run the route like you're ready to win the route."

Harbaugh said Tolzien's commands respect because his teammates see his work ethic. For his part, Tolzien says a year of experience has allowed him to be more assertive, and excited. He couldn't wait to play in Friday's game.

"It's no different than going into a test," Tolzien said. "You prepare yourself so when that time comes you're ready to go and you look forward to the opportunity because you feel like you've got the answers to the test."

I'll say it in this thread, because I feel safer....but I'll still whisper... why is so taboo to say that Tolzien looked like the best QB on the field that day? I mean, just the way he looks out there. Hitting our receivers and rbs in stride. If the Pro, you know who, crowd wants to say that Tolzien looked better as a QB than Colin...then I would also hope they would admit that he looks better than that other guy.
I liked what I saw in the kid, I'd blow him... errrr, I mean, I'd keep him..
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I'll say it in this thread, because I feel safer....but I'll still whisper... why is so taboo to say that Tolzien looked like the best QB on the field that day? I mean, just the way he looks out there. Hitting our receivers and rbs in stride. If the Pro, you know who, crowd wants to say that Tolzien looked better as a QB than Colin...then I would also hope they would admit that he looks better than that other guy.

you mean the "other guy" who was 3 for 3 and threw a beautiful TD to a scrub WR? now you're just reaching, Afrikan.