LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I wonder if it was Harbaugh who wanted to see more of Tolzien or is Johnson performing that bad in TC??
I dont think its about JJ having a bad camp. Its about Harbaugh giving the two young kids every opportunity to stick on the roster. JJ was brought in as insurance in case one of the young kids fizzled out. The Kids are having a good camp, give them an opportunity to show it in preseason. We have seen JJ against NFL defenses already.

Very true.
The nature of the game on the collegiate level has changed. The spread option QB is the vogue because they can run with the ball. Passing becomes secondary and comes into play only when the running game is established or the team is way behind. It will take a few years to have CK grounded into being the classic drop back QB. Even then the position is instinctual at the highest level of pro football. If it has to be taught there's a good chance the QB does not have it. From what I've seen of Scott Tolzien he has the foundation of the pocket passer. If he's put on the taxi squad there's a good chance he'll be claimed by someone in a QB deprived league. A 28 year old rookie is starting QB for the Browns, that speaks volumes on the lack of QB talent. CK=Tebow
If Alex goes down, Tolzien... he's the guy I would want in the game.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I wonder if it was Harbaugh who wanted to see more of Tolzien or is Johnson performing that bad in TC??

From what I've been reading is JJ has no, or a very tough time throwing with any touch, it's been a real problem apparently. Even in this game the announcers made comments on a few passes out to the flat, that he threw so hard the ball just bounced off the receivers numbers before they had a chance to close their arms on the ball and make a catch. So when you see the same problems come up in games that you are seeing day in day out in TC..well, somethings got to give I would say..

Wonder how they work the QB rotation this next game in Houston? It will be a much stiff test against their D..
I googled Tolzien and found this PFW you tube on him. First round talent for football IQ and 6th round talent for athleticism. Will stay in and take a hit to deliver the ball.

Gotta love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3eXgXrr-ig
Originally posted by Ballistic:
thread title should be Tolzien vs Kap for #2 position

This.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
If Alex goes down, Tolzien... he's the guy I would want in the game.

this
  • Jiks
Well lets say Alex gets benched due to poor play. Who would you want then? This may have been addressed but to me that makes things a little different. The edge might go back to Kaepernick in that case seeing how I think in the long run he has more to offer than Tolzien. I think Tolzien would make a great QB for a couple games but I just don't think he has enough all around "talent" to be a 1st string QB day in and day out. Obviously just my opinion but I there is a reason he was undrafted

I also think maybe you go with Johnson seeing how he's the most experienced.
Originally posted by 559_er:
thread title should be Tolzien vs Rodgers for #1 QB in the league.

This.
Fixed

Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
If God goes down, Tolzien... he's the guy I would want running the universi.

this

and fixed
Originally posted by 559_er:
thread title should be Tolzien vs Kap for #2 position

This.

Double this! People are enamored of Kaep because of his measurables, but his progress, SO FAR, is behind that of Tolzien, who just looks more like he belongs there and has a better grasp of the position. He really should be in the mix for that #2 role and not the #3, regardless of draft position!

i think tolzien looks better than johnson and is more along the lines of alex smith, johnson and kaep are pretty much the same guy with kaep looking slightly better than johnson
JJ seems not to be destined to make the roster unless we carry 4 QBS, which is highly improbable.

We have no QB who can be considered atrocious. All 2nd tier QBs at best.
Scott should be the #2 if he continues to play this well,especially if he looks good with the 1's and 2's imo.
Anyone else realize people here are comparing any of these QBs to Alex Smith.. Like is it just me or do i want any of the 3 QBs to work on being better than Alex Smith.. Alex Smith = Settling
  • rserda
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Do you put any stock in the fact that Harbaugh was calling more read-option plays and roll-outs for Kap than Tolzien? Point being, it seemed clear to me that Harbaugh wasn't all that interested in keeping Kap in the pocket and that he was deliberately playing to Colin's strengths.

That's not good when your QB's strengths are to run rather than pass.
Share 49ersWebzone