LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 170 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Lol I love it! You know it's time for the regular season to start when mofo's are arguing about who are #3 QB should be! I love you guys...

JJ outplayed Tolzein this preseason. Tolzein has some mysterious quality that everyone gravitates to, he just "looks the part." I'd be fine with either move, but I would keep JJ. He has more game experience and he knows Harbaugh's system.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:
Originally posted by boast:
i'm well aware of how other players are performing. and yes, i can specifically criticize a single player for something he's done over more than one preseason. neither Smith, CK, nor Tolzien played for the Bucs. so bringing them into my criticism of JJ is irrelevant.

And bringing JJ's performance from the Bucs into discussion of his performance of the niners is irrelevant also. He played better than Tolzein in THIS preseason. So based on performance like normal evaluations are based on, Tolzein is outta here!

we're done because you still don't understand what i'm saying. good day.

Maybe the confusion is caused because you're posting in the wrong thread. Try this one:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/164608-official-josh-johnson-jet-plane-soul-amp-satisfaction/search=josh%20johnson
This debate would be a lot more fun if our recievers didn't drop the ball so much.

By the way, I really like how Jenkins puts his hands on the ball. And they looked huge
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Seriously, 4 years in the league and Johnson is still battling with Undrafted free agents. Fools gold, I already seen what Johnson is like with live bullets coming at him in a REAL game. I hope they leave the #3 spot to the young guy in Tolzien. Tolzien was still out there standing in the pocket till the last minute trying to deliver a pass and also showed again that he can read a defense.

This. We know what JJ is capable of; Tolzien has more upside.
Based off potential alone it has to be tolzien.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Have you forgotten what JJ looks like in the NFL against starters? He doesn't "pretty much" suck. He does suck. Why do you think he was available for us to get him?

That was JJ under a different coach. Alex Smith can be the first to tell you how much difference a coach like JH makes.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
if we cut tolzien

he will be with seahawks for sure

So Seattle will replace Portis with another UDFA with one year less experience with the team? ...or they're going to keep four QBs?
It is my opinion that if Harbaugh keeps JJ, it would be an emotional pick because it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. It's really really difficult to break bad habits which both he and Alex Smith have developed through the years. The only thing Harbaugh can do and has done with Smith is to play to his strength, and with JJ, it's his size and his running abilities.

And if it is Tolzien, it would be because of his potential and because he is relatively a rookie and can be taught new tricks.

Both were hot and cold during the pre-season.
I'm just glad we have legit OB's to argue about

Johnson gets the pass Bc he is Harbaughs boy
This thread is full of facepalm.

Part of me doesn't give a flying f**k who the #3 is. If the third string QB sees the field this season, we are most likely screwed anyway.
Originally posted by sdniner:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Seriously, 4 years in the league and Johnson is still battling with Undrafted free agents. Fools gold, I already seen what Johnson is like with live bullets coming at him in a REAL game. I hope they leave the #3 spot to the young guy in Tolzien. Tolzien was still out there standing in the pocket till the last minute trying to deliver a pass and also showed again that he can read a defense.

This. We know what JJ is capable of; Tolzien has more upside.

Totally agree. Another factor is Tolzien's stats would be quite impressive if he didn't have so many drops by his receivers! It's his bad luck that, for whatever reason, critical, very catchable passes were dropped by the wideouts. You don't hear his teammates gushing over Johnson as they do over Tolzien either. Tolzien looks and acts and plays like a QB who has the intangibles as well, and his arm is underrated too, while JJ is a running QB with a strong arm.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
We cannot cut Tolzien with him we are 13-3, and without him is something I dont wonna imagine.
They are about the same age maybe a year apart. Under the tutelage of JH I think JJ has the higher ceiling.
Share 49ersWebzone