Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I think the fans won.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Have you forgotten what JJ looks like in the NFL against starters? He doesn't "pretty much" suck. He does suck. Why do you think he was available for us to get him?

Well we got Scott Tolzien, an undrafted free agent, because San Diego thought he wasnt good enough to keep on the roster and cut him.
JJ is a solid QB , but I really like the quick release and pocket presence of Tolzien, plus he has a higher ceiling than JJ'

But I gotta admit JJ played well enough to show he is worthy of being the #3 QB too , but if you release Tolzien, some team will pick him up within 2 hrs of his release, getting a QB with pre-season experience and knowledge of Harbaugh's system will be very attractive option for a lot of teams to look into
if we cut tolzien

he will be with seahawks for sure
Have you forgotten what JJ looks like in the NFL against starters? He doesn't "pretty much" suck. He does suck. Why do you think he was available for us to get him?

We were able to get him because he was a free agent and had been wanting to play for Harbaugh since last year. There might have not been any interest in him, but that is the main reason we got him.

Steve Young had a sub 65 qbr his two years with the Bucs before joining the 49ers. Did he suck? I'm not saying that JJ is Steve Young by any means, but I don't think it's possible to form a legit opinion about him when he has less than 200 passes in the NFL.
[ Edited by Youngb on Aug 31, 2012 at 9:18 AM ]
Steve Stenstrom
lets keep all 4
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
if we cut tolzien

he will be with seahawks for sure
not really, I think they have a couple young guys they are high on and even if they do,,, it will not be tragic. I have never adhered to the theory of players giving away all of our secrets plus I think we have more pressing issues than what happens to a 3rd/4th string quarterback

Have you forgotten that the Bucs had ABSOLUTELY NO RECEIVERS to throw to?? I haven't. So what did you expect him to do on a team with no one to throw to and no line to protect? Hmmm something to ponder...
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:

Have you forgotten that the Bucs had ABSOLUTELY NO RECEIVERS to throw to?? I haven't. So what did you expect him to do on a team with no one to throw to and no line to protect? Hmmm something to ponder...

JJ continues to overthrow the deep ball. he did it in TB and he's done it in every preseason game with the Niners. and if it wasn't for a fantastic catch by Konrad Reuland, he would have thrown not one but two short screens into the dirt.

If it as close as they say it is..I would keep the younger guy, after all you will be keeping the same 2011 QB depth chart.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
JJ continues to overthrow the deep ball. he did it in TB and he's done it in every preseason game with the Niners. and if it wasn't for a fantastic catch by Konrad Reuland, he would have thrown not one but two short screens into the dirt.

Are we comparing two QBs or just trying to bash JJ?

Who do you think had more poor throws... Johnson or Tolzien?
yea as much as i've poo pooed JJ he's looked better than Tolzien.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by boast:

Are we comparing two QBs or just trying to bash JJ?

Who do you think had more poor throws... Johnson or Tolzien?

i'm specifically commenting on JJ's performance. i watched him in TB and and thru this preseason. i'm not comparing him to anyone.

why is everyone is trying to create a divide between fans of this team? it's childish and ridiculous.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Seriously, 4 years in the league and Johnson is still battling with Undrafted free agents. Fools gold, I already seen what Johnson is like with live bullets coming at him in a REAL game. I hope they leave the #3 spot to the young guy in Tolzien. Tolzien was still out there standing in the pocket till the last minute trying to deliver a pass and also showed again that he can read a defense.

This is hilarious. Alex Smith was in the NFL for 7 years before he started looking like a legitimate NFL player. What Johnson did last night with both his legs and his arm blows anything Tolzien has put on tape thus far in his career out of the water. The cream rises to the top and that is the message Harbaugh has always preached. After last night cutting Johnson and keeping Tolzien would send a disturbing message to the rest of the locker room.
Share 49ersWebzone