LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Seriously, 4 years in the league and Johnson is still battling with Undrafted free agents. Fools gold, I already seen what Johnson is like with live bullets coming at him in a REAL game. I hope they leave the #3 spot to the young guy in Tolzien. Tolzien was still out there standing in the pocket till the last minute trying to deliver a pass and also showed again that he can read a defense.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Seriously, 4 years in the league and Johnson is still battling with Undrafted free agents. Fools gold, I already seen what Johnson is like with live bullets coming at him in a REAL game. I hope they leave the #3 spot to the young guy in Tolzien. Tolzien was still out there standing in the pocket till the last minute trying to deliver a pass and also showed again that he can read a defense.

Amen.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

This. I hear people talking about developing Johnson....and he's already been in the league for 4 years. If he has to take it down to a competition between him and Tolzien........I think I'd still favor Tolzien although as others have mentioned, Johnson has that athleticism that Harbaugh seems to value highly.
Jj looked clearly better tonight . but Im on the fence still. st's arm really does look like trash. Reminds me of dorsey. The stories of jj being lazy in tampa bother me though. I guess if it was me i would cut tz and hope he clears the waiver wire.
It took Alex a long time just to look 'decent' in this league. No reason to say JJ doesn't have the potential to be a good starter in this league as well.
Tolzien. Rodgers didn't call him "baby drew brees" for nothing
After tonight, you would say JJ. BUt im sure JJ doesnt want to be a Career third string QB...I feel that JH and JJ will have a talk and JJ could get cut soo that another team could pick him up. or we keep him ND then trade him for a pick or player. JH wouldnt want a player with that much talent to be someone who doesnt even suit-up on sundays. Keep Tolzien and develop and trade later, he'll be a great QB one day the way he commands an offense. Our best bet would be to keep them both but tht probably wont happen. Tolzien is too good to clear waivers..too much talent on one team and we cant keep everyone #ninerproblems
Tolzein shold be traded.
Originally posted by Amir:
who cares. Better question is, why isn't Kaep the starter for the opener?

Hallelujah. I'm tired of AS leading to such a slow conservative offense.
hey guys its my first post ever even though i been reading these stuff for a couple years now....thank god it connects with facebook lol.....my thought and hope i dont get bassed for my first time....im a die hard 49ers fan and always been a smith fan....but to me who i believe is and should be the third string will be josh johnson.....not cuz all the history he had with harhbaugh.....but becuase he's mobile...alex and keapernick are both mobile qb's....and if worst comes to worst and both get hurt for a week or two and johnson has to start....i think it'll be best for the O line to have another mobile qb....just different foot works for them to block a mobile guy then to switch it up blocking for a pocket guy.....i believe they keeped putting tolzien back in to make up to make it a competition...but he blew it with that pick trying to make something instead of being relaxed...pressure got to him for a preseason game...imagine bigger games? i vote JJ

Photo Finish!
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 55949ers:
hey guys its my first post ever even though i been reading these stuff for a couple years now....thank god it connects with facebook lol.....my thought and hope i dont get bassed for my first time....im a die hard 49ers fan and always been a smith fan....but to me who i believe is and should be the third string will be josh johnson.....not cuz all the history he had with harhbaugh.....but becuase he's mobile...alex and keapernick are both mobile qb's....and if worst comes to worst and both get hurt for a week or two and johnson has to start....i think it'll be best for the O line to have another mobile qb....just different foot works for them to block a mobile guy then to switch it up blocking for a pocket guy.....i believe they keeped putting tolzien back in to make up to make it a competition...but he blew it with that pick trying to make something instead of being relaxed...pressure got to him for a preseason game...imagine bigger games? i vote JJ

Basically what i was going to post. With Josh Johnson the play book doesn't have to change or have stuff taken out. Like the QB read option, the naked boot, and all the other plays that require our QB's to be able to move.

They are clearly neck and neck so give it to the guy that most fits your other two QB's in case he does have to go in there and in theory have a smoother transition being able to call all your plays.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
RIP The Tolz.......

Johnson did really well last night. You could tell he has potential to be a decent #3 or even #2 for some other teams. He was reading the Chargers D pre snap, and making the right adjustments, plus when things broke down, he took off and made great gains. Him and the receivers were in sync tonite, they looked very crisp whenever Johnson dropped back to complete a pass. Tolzien didnt look good tonite, he started off good then turned to sh*t. But i dont think he lost his hold on the #3 QB spot. Something tells me that Johnson's extended minutes lastnite was just to showcase him to other teams, because of the fact that Johnson kept coming back in to get more reps after Tolzien kept failing to lead the offense down the field.
Going into this game I really thought Tolzien was the favorite for at least the #3 spot. Last night blew that out of the water. J.J looks to have #3 hammered down.
Share 49ersWebzone