LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Stock Up or Down? Updated through all 4 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wouldn't read too much into this game. Brock and Dixon are in a battle to make the team and it's an uphill struggle. One thing I saw was Randy Moss starting to do his thing. My take is that he'll be Alex's first read in short order.
Wasn't asked, but Ian Williams is making a good case for himself for the 53. We'd be carrying a lot of DL for a 3-4 team though.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Wasn't asked, but Ian Williams is making a good case for himself for the 53. We'd be carrying a lot of DL for a 3-4 team though.

I think Ian Williams will make the 53 and with RJF/Soap/Ian all being free agents I expect us to re-sign Ian cheap, and then probably go with the younger cheaper RJF. Would love to have all 3 back but we might not be able to afford Soap. I also think Tukuafu makes the team although he really hasn't stood out not that I looked closely at him. I think that 2nd string DL has been holding there own but at the same time not really creating pressure. Hard to when it seemed like we were playing 3 DL and not sending OLBs.

sfout, as for Ian and Will not sure they are fighting against each other. If I look at some of the last spots overall I say they are both ahead of Person/Hall, Colin Jones, etc It might depend if we are keeping the best players or making a case for worse players at a position of greater need.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM ]
With Person and Kilgore struggling it gives Looney (and perhaps Slowey) a better chance to slip in as backups. Slowey is listed as OT on the NFL website...but then, so is Kilgore.

Too early to make accurate assessments but I'm glad there is some competition on the team. As for Hall and Beeler...don't see them making a difference unless the others are unimpressive. Niners need to develop these young guys and at least come up with a starting quality center next year...or sooner?

Hard to judge linemen when the opponent is using clever blitz packages in game two of preseason. Interesting approach by the coaching staff of Houston. Didn't work out so well for the Saints last year...won preseason but the 9ers were ready in the playoffs.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
With Person and Kilgore struggling it gives Looney (and perhaps Slowey) a better chance to slip in as backups. Slowey is listed as OT on the NFL website...but then, so is Kilgore.

Too early to make accurate assessments but I'm glad there is some competition on the team. As for Hall and Beeler...don't see them making a difference unless the others are unimpressive. Niners need to develop these young guys and at least come up with a starting quality center next year...or sooner?

Hard to judge linemen when the opponent is using clever blitz packages in game two of preseason. Interesting approach by the coaching staff of Houston. Didn't work out so well for the Saints last year...won preseason but the 9ers were ready in the playoffs.

I think being that it was their 1st home game of their 10th anniversary season and with such high hopes for this season they wanted to start it off right. I would hav hate to have lost to the Vikings week 1 at home. Their players and coaches treated it like a regular season game and they were a bit dirty. The crowd was treating it like a regular season game as well... they were into it the whole game.

P.S. I thought Kilgore held his own game 1, didn't watch him this game. Also, I know Looney had penalties last week and didn't look the best but again didn't watch him this week. Will be rewatching when it comes on NFLN at NOON CT.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM ]
We have good depth at back, wr and even DL. But I'm working the injury bug stays away from the OL and S. Pretty slim pickings there.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I think Ian Williams will make the 53 and with RJF/Soap/Ian all being free agents I expect us to re-sign Ian cheap, and then probably go with the younger cheaper RJF. Would love to have all 3 back but we might not be able to afford Soap. I also think Tukuafu makes the team although he really hasn't stood out not that I looked closely at him. I think that 2nd string DL has been holding there own but at the same time not really creating pressure. Hard to when it seemed like we were playing 3 DL and not sending OLBs.

sfout, as for Ian and Will not sure they are fighting against each other. If I look at some of the last spots overall I say they are both ahead of Person/Hall, Colin Jones, etc It might depend if we are keeping the best players or making a case for worse players at a position of greater need.

No worries right now on Ian, he is signed through 2013, it's Sopoaga and Jean Francois we need to worry about right now. I think right now we keep 7 DL, with Dobbs mainly as TE listed, but playing DE. I can see Ian active now with Tukuafu inactive, but could be the other way. Ian has too much upside, I hope he makes it, I am a ND guy, so I have always been a fan, I wanted to draft him, but was happy when we added him as a UDFA.

If it came down to Ian or Jones, I would go Ian, even though I am big on Jones, I think Ian has the future, with the others FAs in 2013.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

If I am correct, Maiocco has Slowey at C along with Kilgore on the 49ers depth chart that was released earlier this week. I never go by NFL.com's roster listings, usually wrong on young new players. I feel Kilgore and Looney make it for sure, comes down to Slowey and Person, Slowey was a OT in college, and Person was a OG If I am correct, but can play OT.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
No worries right now on Ian, he is signed through 2013, it's Sopoaga and Jean Francois we need to worry about right now. I think right now we keep 7 DL, with Dobbs mainly as TE listed, but playing DE. I can see Ian active now with Tukuafu inactive, but could be the other way. Ian has too much upside, I hope he makes it, I am a ND guy, so I have always been a fan, I wanted to draft him, but was happy when we added him as a UDFA.

If it came down to Ian or Jones, I would go Ian, even though I am big on Jones, I think Ian has the future, with the others FAs in 2013.

My bad, I didn't think so but just checked it today and thought I saw a 1 year deal but he wasn't one of those guys... that was Brock and Tukuafu. Yeah, didn't he sign a 3 year deal like all udfas last year? So do we have him this year and next year?
If I am correct, Maiocco has Slowey at C along with Kilgore on the 49ers depth chart that was released earlier this week. I never go by NFL.com's roster listings, usually wrong on young new players. I feel Kilgore and Looney make it for sure, comes down to Slowey and Person, Slowey was a OT in college, and Person was a OG If I am correct, but can play OT.

Yes, it is frustrating that they are so off. But I don't pay to use their site, so...

I agree with your assessments. I was never a big fan of Person but really like Kilgore's feisty-ness so hope he makes it. Slowey seems to be one of those small college guys who may be able to make it. Looney was better than his draft position due to injury and I would expect him to make the team, if not be an eventual starter. No experience at center but steller OG. Person played T in college but was listed as an OG when drafted.

A.J. Jenkins - Stock UP

Really liked how he gets separation downfield, he has a great ability to make those tough over the shoulder catches. He's got speed and quickness, lookin forward to see how he develops.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
A.J. Jenkins - Stock UP

Really liked how he gets separation downfield, he has a great ability to make those tough over the shoulder catches. He's got speed and quickness, lookin forward to see how he develops.

Agree, second preseason game of his career and he looks good!
Originally posted by Gore_21:

My bad, I didn't think so but just checked it today and thought I saw a 1 year deal but he wasn't one of those guys... that was Brock and Tukuafu. Yeah, didn't he sign a 3 year deal like all udfas last year? So do we have him this year and next year?

Correct, he signed 3 yr deal, Tukuafu signed a 2yr deal this offseason. Also Dobbs is also signed thru 2013. After that he is a RFA.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i hear our people returning punts and kicks were terrible,, now that is something that bears watching in my opinion in the next two days. we know what we have in ginn but please,, we have to develop some good dependable people behind him, now kyle did have a good first game but sounds like they looked at some other people saturday who were horrid
Originally posted by cciowa:
i hear our people returning punts and kicks were terrible,, now that is something that bears watching in my opinion in the next two days. we know what we have in ginn but please,, we have to develop some good dependable people behind him, now kyle did have a good first game but sounds like they looked at some other people saturday who were horrid

Kyle needs to learn to fair catch. LMJ looks inexperienced. Trying to do too much. Hunter was good from what I remember
Share 49ersWebzone