There are 231 users in the forums

QB depth chart after 4th preseason game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Tolzien still has more experience in the offense than Joshn Johnson. And has more long term potential. He is still good right now to me. I go with Tolzien.

Where is his long term potential? I don't see it. Besides the first preseason game and the game against us last year, this guy has been pooped on by opposing teams practice squads. Yes he's shown a few flashes, but the guy is 8-21 for 81 yards, 0 td and 1 int the past 3 games against practice squad players.

Josh Johnson came in last night and destroyed San Diego's practice squad players in the last preseason game of the year, with less experience with the offense.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
Feel threatened fanboys that boy CK7 coming for that starting job.

not this year, maybe next year depending on what alex and the team does this year. I know of no credible source who is saying CK is now competing for the starting job but unlike you,, i do not have my hand on the pulse of inside information in regards to the team

Talent + determination always rises to the top.

I know JH had to give Alex the starting job based on last years playoff game and the interest in Manning. If had this been an open competition CK would have taken it.
Originally posted by Youngb:
Tolzien still has more experience in the offense than Joshn Johnson. And has more long term potential. He is still good right now to me. I go with Tolzien.

Where is his long term potential? I don't see it. Besides the first preseason game and the game against us last year, this guy has been pooped on by opposing teams practice squads. Yes he's shown a few flashes, but the guy is 8-21 for 81 yards, 0 td and 1 int the past 3 games against practice squad players.

Josh Johnson came in last night and destroyed San Diego's practice squad players in the last preseason game of the year, with less experience with the offense.

Because for still a NEWCOMER to the league, Tolzien has shown enough. And Johnson has been in what, the league for 4 years now? And he FINALLY had 1 good game.
Alex, is the starter, unless he fails, and I don't see that happening. Alex has moved out of my dog house, and I'm ready to defend him.

Kap, looked like a very capable #2, if something happens to/with Alex, I'm not worried.

JJ, is to good to be a #3 and therefore has trade value. I don't see JH trading him I think Jimmy likes his toys, and wants to keep them all. I on the other hand would trade him for 5-6 rounder next year, I know we have 15 picks, but more is better when you are trading down form the 32nd pick over all!

Tolzien, is exactly what you want in a #3, hard working, young with plenty of growth potential, maybe a someday starter, but more likely a career back-up and a future coach. 90% practice squad safe if we cut him.

In short, if I were TB, I would waive Tolzien to the practice squad, without fear of him becoming the next Drew Breeze. I would expect him to clear waivers.
I would keep JJ, and shop him a bit as the season goes on, because I can't see the cap room spent on retaining two #2 QBs.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Aug 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM ]

I know JH had to give Alex the starting job based on last years playoff game and the interest in Manning. If had this been an open competition CK would have taken it.

wrong. This game against SD, finally started to show how CK has developed and where his true potential lies. I am excited about the near future. I think, CK will take over, but not before next year, barring an injury. However, he will be used on special packages this year early.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Feel threatened fanboys that boy CK7 coming for that starting job.

not this year, maybe next year depending on what alex and the team does this year. I know of no credible source who is saying CK is now competing for the starting job but unlike you,, i do not have my hand on the pulse of inside information in regards to the team

maybe alex has the job because he earned it and in practice alex has done more and is more of a leader than ck? maybe alex has the job because JH likes him better as the starter of the team than anyone else on the current roster? not everything has to be complicated or sinister
How come we tell Seattle fans to calm down on Wilson yet are in here CK's pre season performance. No doubt he looked good but I don't see him challenging Smith for the starter's spot.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
How come we tell Seattle fans to calm down on Wilson yet are in here CK's pre season performance. No doubt he looked good but I don't see him challenging Smith for the starter's spot.

We're excited because it was nice to see him look good after so many people were questioning his ability.

Also, remember that the back-up QB is always the most popular player on the team.
CK looked really good, but it's worth noting that the Chargers might have been fully intent in avoiding to go 4-0 in the preseason.
Josh Johnson benefited from Nathan Palmer making a great play on a 1 yard hitch play. Palmer also dropped an easy right on the numbers pass from Tolzien. Tolzien to me looks like he goes through his reads quicker and take into the fact that he's only played in a handful of pre season games. Josh Johnson has played in regular season.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:

NAH IM HAPPY I LOVE BEING RIGHT WHEN EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG AND IT HAPPENS ALL TIME IM USED TO IT.
Originally posted by 9erred:
You guys need to think llike the front office. The third string qb is off of potential, and one that makes close to the league minimum. Why would you pay anyone a million a year to be inactive??

Scott Tolzien wins the #3 qb job due to his favorable contract.

7/28/2011: Signed a three-year, $1.408 million contract. The deal included a $12,500 signing bonus. 2012: $465,000, 2013: $555,000, 2014: Restricted Free Agent

Wishful thinking on your part that bum is outta here.

lmfao child please
Originally posted by FRANKBLANCO415:
Wishful thinking on your part that bum is outta here.

It is ok to like the whole team dude. You don't need to dislike someone. Just FYI
3 day weekend and Tolzien is gonna be outta here. Thats what I'm talkin bout.
Share 49ersWebzone