LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

Preseason Week minus 1: Thoughts BEFORE first preseason game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm with you on the Aldon sack total. Don't expect Moss to light it up with bomb after bomb, he will be more of an asset in the redzone in terms of production and drawing coverage to free up the middle for VD....hopefully.
Here's my thoughts to the fans.

Don't have a panic attack if our defense looks like Swiss cheese and our offense looks like a tractor. JH doesn't use preseason like Nolan and Sing did. They tried to win in preseason whereas JH will use it for teaching purposes like a practice.
I think I love you, Marvin. ( no homo )

Pretty much agree with everything in your post. As always... so worth the read.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

Don't have a panic attack if our defense looks like Swiss cheese and our offense looks like a tractor. JH doesn't use preseason like Nolan and Sing did. They tried to win in preseason whereas JH will use it for teaching purposes like a practice.

thank you joe for putting up this red flag. Not sure it will do much good cuz you know sometimes people get a little worked up when something goes wrong in the pre season. Not to sound cocky but I think we know we have a good team so rather than to worry about wins and losses or how the team looks in these games, we have to sort out the running backs, d line, right gaurd, back up punt and kick returners, back up quarterbacks, back up safety spots etc. i think those things matter more as compared to how we look

Good point.

Often the better teams in the past had lousy preseason records.

I think ideal scenario is a decent showing from #1s out of simple formations, one or two series then pull them and let the 2s and 3s do whatever.
Originally posted by cciowa:

thank you joe for putting up this red flag. Not sure it will do much good cuz you know sometimes people get a little worked up when something goes wrong in the pre season. Not to sound cocky but I think we know we have a good team so rather than to worry about wins and losses or how the team looks in these games, we have to sort out the running backs, d line, right gaurd, back up punt and kick returners, back up quarterbacks, back up safety spots etc. i think those things matter more as compared to how we look

I do hope we connect a couple of deep balls to Moss to force GB to spread out in Game 1 so Gore and Hunter can get some large holes. maybe see it in Game 3 since Randy's old and he may not even sniff a pass let alone a series this week.

Is it just me or is this personnel very similar to the 90s Cowboys?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I do hope we connect a couple of deep balls to Moss to force GB to spread out in Game 1 so Gore and Hunter can get some large holes. maybe see it in Game 3 since Randy's old and he may not even sniff a pass let alone a series this week.

In regards to your first statement,, yes I agree we will probably be very conservative but it would be nice to tease the fans a bit with some long balls and air it out a few times, just to give other teams something to think about. in regards to the cowboys, someone smarter than me can take that one. i would like to think our defense is better cuz we tackle so well and it is darn near impossible to run outside on us. I am just a little worried about the o line and thier line was rock solid.d you know i do love alex but aikman is a few notches above him I think. good food for thought joe
Great job Marvin49. Looking forward to these every game. This season is going to be so much fun and excitement! Can't wait!

In regards to your first statement,, yes I agree we will probably be very conservative but it would be nice to tease the fans a bit with some long balls and air it out a few times, just to give other teams something to think about. in regards to the cowboys, someone smarter than me can take that one. i would like to think our defense is better cuz we tackle so well and it is darn near impossible to run outside on us. I am just a little worried about the o line and thier line was rock solid.d you know i do love alex but aikman is a few notches above him I think. good food for thought joe

I'm thinking only in terms of personnel and the intermediate passing game with that homer in threat. As much as some want to slot that Cowboy team under the Coryell umbrella, they really did spread the ball to their RB and TE very well.

Old Moss = Harper
Crabs = Irvin
Vernon = novacek
Gore = E Smith
Alex = Aikman efficient first stats second
Big run pushing OLs. I think our pass blocking is affected by the turnover in systems just as much as the QB and they will dominate this year.

Very strong fronts for both teams.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM ]
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
OP, I love you.

But not in a gay way (NTTIAWWT).

Totally agree. It is difficult for me to find anything I disagree with...as a matter of fact I can't. Particularly like a couple of comments that will be unpopular--Goldson being over rated, the D being better than last year, and Manning being a "duh" for any team with a chance to add a future Hall of Famer.

Guess the only thing I might question is--can the team have more wins than last year? I believe they can if the offense improves AND the defense improves. More points on offense may cause Harbaugh to play a bit looser on D but the DBs are better this year with another year of experience and the addition of Cox. It is a losing game to predict any team to win 14 of 16 but that's my reach for the year.

If we beat the Vikings on Friday then we are winning the Super Bowl, calling it right now
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
If we beat the Vikings on Friday then we are winning the Super Bowl, calling it right now

and if we lose, alot of people here will slash thier wrists just like they did last year when we had a couple of small bumps in the road leading up to a great monday night game vs the steelers. remember the posts......WE HAVE BEEN EXPOSED... WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER GAME,
Escape without injury and i will see success if we win or lose this game
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:

and if we lose, alot of people here will slash thier wrists just like they did last year when we had a couple of small bumps in the road leading up to a great monday night game vs the steelers. remember the posts......WE HAVE BEEN EXPOSED... WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER GAME,
To me the extent of a fan's angst, or reaction to a loss, may be a measure of how much they really care about the team, how big of a fan they are.

The fact that they worry that much speaks volumes about how "faithful" they are.

To me, SanDiego, for example, might be one of the most loyal fans on this board--based on how much he worries about things (even if it seems like he posts a negative or a criticism once in awhile) and how he continued to do so through all those bad years.

Of course, not everyone voices their worries, but for those that do, its understandable, and we should remember that they wouldn't do so if they didn't care. IMHO.

Go Niners.
We have to expect the momentary, knee-jerk reactions. Hey, that comes from being a passionate fan "in the heat of battle." I think a lot of that can be entertaining. It does, however, become ridiculous and annoying if people take it too far or hold onto it days after the game.
Share 49ersWebzone