LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

How will the Niners win at GB in game one?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
1) Ball Control: We need to limit the amount of time Rodgers is on the field. A combination of Gore / Hunter / Jacobs / LMJ hopefully will provide enough variety to keep the chains moving all game.

2) Red Zone Efficiency: GBs defense isn't great, but Lambeau is a different story. If/when we get in the redzone, we HAVE to convert TDs not FGs.

3) Limit Mistakes: Alex particularly needs to keep the INTs and fumbles down, and everyone on the team needs to focus on playing penalty-free football.

4) Take a Few Shots: Even with the above reasons working for us, we still will need a few big plays to turn the game in our direction. A few big plays to Moss, LMJ, Vernon or whoever could push us over the edge and secure a win in Lambeau for the first time since 1990 (IIRC).

Go Niners!

[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Aug 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
On defense, I think we need to implement more press CB coverage. We don't have too much to fear from their run game, but we have to control the short passing game, and make Rodgers pull the ball back down. That gives us a better chance to pummel his arse.

On offense, they will likely be geared to stop the run... despite having been middle range vs the run and dead last in pass yds last season. They won't respect our deep or intermediate pass game till we earn that respect. They will likely do their own pressing and send extra blitzes from the outside. We have to open up with some quick slants, screens, and stop&go routes to the receivers. Don't stop the wheel-routes to the TEs either. Those work for us.

Have to really watch out for Clay Mathews when lined up on strong-side vs Anthony Davis. Improved footwork or not, AD will struggle... so we need Alex to signal extra help to pick him up.
You make some really good points.

So maybe start off by running right at Clay Mathews--to take away his speed advantage and see how AD does run blocking him?

Then try some deep shots downfield?

Looks like lots of different options, and that's from just a fan's perspective!
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Aug 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Gore multiple 80 yard runs

If that happens Im having multiple orgasms.
It will be a shocker. We will win by 10pts.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

So maybe start off by running right at Clay Mathews--to take away his speed advantage and see how AD does run blocking him?

Then try some deep shots downfield?

Definitely like these suggestions. Mathews on Davis' side? Oh yeah... a nice lil audible to a strong-side run should favor us.
EVERYONE knows how GB will win games.
NOBODY knows how SF will win games.

so therefor they wont know HOW to defend us.
We will know how to defend them.
1) Ball Control: We need to limit the amount of time Rodgers is on the field. A combination of Gore / Hunter / Jacobs / LMJ hopefully will provide enough variety to keep the chains moving all game.

2) Red Zone Efficiency: GBs defense isn't great, but Lambeau is a different story. If/when we get in the redzone, we HAVE to convert TDs not FGs.

3) Limit Mistakes: Alex particularly needs to keep the INTs and fumbles down, and everyone on the team needs to focus on playing penalty-free football.

4) Take a Few Shots: Even with the above reasons working for us, we still will need a few big plays to turn the game in our direction. A few big plays to Moss, LMJ, Vernon or whoever could push us over the edge and secure a win in Lambeau for the first time since 1990 (IIRC).

Go Niners!
Great post.

You think those shots need to come early, to take advantage of GB's defense, and swing the momentum to the Niners? Or just move the chains then go to Moss in the red zone?
I think the above posters are right and that is why I wanted to go to GB over having to beat NYG a second time. I felt GB was too one dimensional on offense and miserable on defense. I feel that NO had the most complete offense in football last year as far as the run and the pass whereas all GB really did was pass the ball really really well (and we survived NO and held them to 17 pts with under 5 mins to go). This plays right into what we want defensively. We take away the run and make you pass a lot while putting pressure on your qb to not mess up. We turn squads into a pass offense and against GB we should have a one dimensional offense from the get go. We will win some battles and lose some but I think we can keep the pack under 25 points with a summer to prepare for a pass only offense while possessing one of the league's best defenses. I am more concerned as to how GB defense will stop us from pounding the rock down their throats while being forced to account for our various weapons on the outside, fast TEs, speed deep down field, weapons in space, jumbo personnel, one of the the league's elite rushing attacks, and a QB that can run for chunks of yardage at the same time (rodgers can sneakily pose problems for our defense with his scrambling ability also). With the dizzying and endless possibilities that our players and coaches have at their disposal and the summer finally to prepare for one game, the pack will have a tougher task on defense than us. I think Rodgers oftentimes help them in the passing game because he scrambles well which forces teams with lesser defenses to have a player account for him. We should have he team speed and relentless pursuers to limit that within our normal scheme though. I am interested in seeing if we can get it done. We start 2-0 vs DET and GB, there will be a lot of haters shivering in their boots
The Thread title should be Can the Niners win in GB?

Doesn't matter if defense and ST plays great

As a TEAM on offense can't convert on 3rd down then we will give GB too many chances to beat us

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

As a TEAM on offense can't convert on 3rd down then we will give GB too many chances to beat us

I actually had it that way to start, but because I believe they CAN win, I thought it was too easy a question.

Question is how they'll win, not whether they will!

Go Niners.

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Go Niners!

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I see where you are coming from but I think our defense and ST has to play their part as they usually do and to your point we don't need 3 and outs in Lambeau. We are working to improve that this offseason and we will see but GB defense has got to show me that they can stop someone first. I didnt like their run defense nor their pass defense last year in most games so I don't know that they will put us in many 3rd and distance situations and even then if they can stop us. We will see, we will see. But I am loving the improvement since Harbaugh took over
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Go Niners!
Great post.

You think those shots need to come early, to take advantage of GB's defense, and swing the momentum to the Niners? Or just move the chains then go to Moss in the red zone?

I think an early shot down the field would help the rest of the game. If Moss gets a 30-40yd completion early, their DBs will be thinking about that all game, and Crabtree and Vernon will then live on the 5-7 yd dinks and dunks that win games!
Harbaugh's gameplan will revolve around Rodgers: our Offense will keep Rodgers on the bench (with time of possession) and our Defense will keep Rodgers on the turf (with sacks, hurries and knockdowns). And if we can score in all three phases (O, D, and ST) and put together a complete game, all the better.

I think an early shot down the field would help the rest of the game. If Moss gets a 30-40yd completion early, their DBs will be thinking about that all game, and Crabtree and Vernon will then live on the 5-7 yd dinks and dunks that win games!

THAT's what the f**k I'm talkin' bout yo!
Share 49ersWebzone