LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

How will the Niners win at GB in game one?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The Niners have a huge task ahead of them in game one: win at GB in the first game of the season.

Usually, opening home games are a challenge for the visiting team, because no matter how bad the home team may be, their players and coaches are up for the first home game, want to impress the home crowd, etc.

And GB is not a bad team. Add the extra motivation of an opening game to their likely desire to erase the memories of their last game--a playoff loss to NY--and they will likely be highly motivated.

The Niners were a much better defensive team than GB last season, and that's likely to continue this season. Harbaugh's teams respond to challenges and usually show up ready for big games (last season's Baltimore game being an exception, but understandable given the short week and travel involved).

Harbaugh will have the Niners ready, I believe, but what can we expect? More blitzing on defense? More of a running game on offense to keep the ball away from Rogers and GB's passing attack? Or will the Niners come out slinging the ball to their new WRs to surprise GB and take advantage of their weaker defense?

I know the game is several weeks away, and we've got preseason games and training camp yet to complete, but Harbaugh and co. have said that they're planning for game one already--so what do you guys think they're gonna do to take the opening game momentum away from GB? I bet they've already studied GB and theyre planning something.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This is gonna be hard game for our boys Im hopeful our physical defense can dominate their Oline and give Rogers a good beating. I do think that this one will probably be a loss, but anything is possible Go Niners !!!!
They will Rush with 4 and drop 7 (Same way the Giants beat them), obliterate the run game with just the front 7, and run the hell out of the ball.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
we will win. we will win with defense. book it.
1) Ball Control: We need to limit the amount of time Rodgers is on the field. A combination of Gore / Hunter / Jacobs / LMJ hopefully will provide enough variety to keep the chains moving all game.

2) Red Zone Efficiency: GBs defense isn't great, but Lambeau is a different story. If/when we get in the redzone, we HAVE to convert TDs not FGs.

3) Limit Mistakes: Alex particularly needs to keep the INTs and fumbles down, and everyone on the team needs to focus on playing penalty-free football.

4) Take a Few Shots: Even with the above reasons working for us, we still will need a few big plays to turn the game in our direction. A few big plays to Moss, LMJ, Vernon or whoever could push us over the edge and secure a win in Lambeau for the first time since 1990 (IIRC).

Go Niners!
I'm guessing they start off controlling the clock, running the ball and keeping the GB O on the bench. No reason to get into a shoot-out with one of the most accurate passers in the NFL unless absolutely necessary.
Defense, my friend, defense to begin with. Then allow our ST to win field position battle. And last but not least, scoring quickly in the first two quarters and then running the rock the last two to kill the clock. Keep Rodgers on the sidelines. They will have their moments, but ultimately, I expect Aldon Smith to make some reall serious noise on first and second downs. He looks real good in camp right now. I don't expect too much blitzing this year when Smith can just pin his ears back and sick the QB. Our DBs seem to have increased their talent in the depth pool. Both Cox AND Cully have been doing very well along side Rogers and Brown. I really believe this D will be one for the ages given what they did last year.

First two games will test that theory, and how!

Fun times ahead Ol' Dude.

I think the Saints posed more of a threat against us in the playoffs last season. The Packers have a one dimensional offense without a running back capable of turning dump off passes/screens for first downs.
On defense, I think we need to implement more press CB coverage. We don't have too much to fear from their run game, but we have to control the short passing game, and make Rodgers pull the ball back down. That gives us a better chance to pummel his arse.

On offense, they will likely be geared to stop the run... despite having been middle range vs the run and dead last in pass yds last season. They won't respect our deep or intermediate pass game till we earn that respect. They will likely do their own pressing and send extra blitzes from the outside. We have to open up with some quick slants, screens, and stop&go routes to the receivers. Don't stop the wheel-routes to the TEs either. Those work for us.

Have to really watch out for Clay Mathews when lined up on strong-side vs Anthony Davis. Improved footwork or not, AD will struggle... so we need Alex to signal extra help to pick him up.
For some reason I have this gut feeling that we're going to have to score more points than them

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by verb1der:
For some reason I have this gut feeling that we're going to have to score more points than them

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
week 1 in the NFL is always a circus. Teams haven't gelled and a ton of mistakes.
Great thread.

Let's try and take it deeper with individual matchups...

Their OL. vs. our DL
Their WRs/TEs vs. our secondary/LBs
Their secondary/LBs vs. our WRs & TE
Their DL vs. our OL

I agree that the Saints probably were the hardest offense to stop. I think Giants probably harder than Packers too.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Defense, my friend, defense to begin with. Then allow our ST to win field position battle. And last but not least, scoring quickly in the first two quarters and then running the rock the last two to kill the clock. Keep Rodgers on the sidelines. They will have their moments, but ultimately, I expect Aldon Smith to make some reall serious noise on first and second downs. He looks real good in camp right now. I don't expect too much blitzing this year when Smith can just pin his ears back and sick the QB. Our DBs seem to have increased their talent in the depth pool. Both Cox AND Cully have been doing very well along side Rogers and Brown. I really believe this D will be one for the ages given what they did last year.

First two games will test that theory, and how!

Fun times ahead Ol' Dude.

I can't wait, either!

Brooks has also looked good this off season. I agree with Marvin's post, above--rush 4 and drop back 7 on defense. Brooks, MacDonald, J. Smith and A. Smith can bring it!

On offense I could see some early passing to loosen up GB's defense for our RBs. Go to Moss on deep routes early and then see what effect that has on the running game!

I keep thinking of Harbaugh's Stanford teams that just steamrolled even pretty good opponents, like what they did to USC when Carroll was there. The "what's your deal" game. Well, I hope GB is asking the same question in a coupla weeks!
Gore multiple 80 yard runs
Share 49ersWebzone