LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. HOUSTON TEXANS GAMEDAY THREAD (Preseason Wk 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
and another one..

Ben Tate is going to torch us
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Don't care about winning but want to see all the young guys. Also hope they start Jenkins and Owusu or Palmer with the first team. Move these guys around, give them exposure that really means something.

Do you really want to give exposure to potential future players that could give the niners good depth or future stars? I say give them playing time but, no need to expose them with the first team and let other teams see there potential. If they do good with the first team, others are going to say hmmm, look at what the niners have. Then talent starved teams are gonna raid them before we can put them on ps (exceoption being Jenkins).

However, young talents that are gonna make the 53 man rooster like Dobbs, Cox, LMJ, yes, you want to give them playing time and experience againts quality players to sharpen their metal.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Do you really want to give exposure to potential future players that could give the niners good depth or future stars? I say give them playing time but, no need to expose them with the first team and let other teams see there potential. If they do good with the first team, others are going to say hmmm, look at what the niners have. Then talent starved teams are gonna raid them before we can put them on ps (exceoption being Jenkins).

However, young talents that are gonna make the 53 man rooster like Dobbs, Cox, LMJ, yes, you want to give them playing time and experience againts quality players to sharpen their metal.

I've never been a fan of trying to hide players. It is a good idea to have every player on the team as ready for the season as possible and always playing with the scrubs makes that difficult. I see your point regarding those players unlikely to make the 53 man roster but really...do we know who they are if they never get a chance to show it? And what if we have injuries in late preseason or early season as they did last year? Wouldn't it have been nice to bring in a couple of guys who knew the team concepts rather than Swain? Hastings was at least on the PS, but Swain came in cold.

Right now I'm not sure who the final two WRs will be. There is a chance that either Owusu or Palmer could make the team over Williams or Ginn if those two have difficulties in the preseason (not likely but...). The way Tolzien is playing it's not likely that the young guys are going to be hidden anyway.
Play the youngsters like normal. Every fan of every team thinks they have special gems that they are hiding from everyone else. Jim said it himself... you have to play these guys under live fire to really know what you have. Let em play.. if a team chooses to snag someone like Owusu or Palmer? I think we will recover from it.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:

Gahd!!! early 90's gaming. Sprite based game with rotoscoping ...

how u gonna play jam and not pick jordan and pippen doe???

Dis doe fo sho!!

Easy answer, Jordan wasn't in the game back then

Well actually, I read that Jordan WAS in the early arcade machines when NBA JAM first came out ,but then they WERE ORDERED TO REMOVE JORDAN FROM THE GAME.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:

Gahd!!! early 90's gaming. Sprite based game with rotoscoping ...

how u gonna play jam and not pick jordan and pippen doe???

Dis doe fo sho!!

Easy answer, Jordan wasn't in the game back then

Well actually, I read that Jordan WAS in the early arcade machines when NBA JAM first came out ,but then they WERE ORDERED TO REMOVE JORDAN FROM THE GAME.
Myth, Midway knew they didn't have a license for Jordan to begin with
Originally posted by YungAce:

I hated thst generic MJ replacement in basketball games back then. Iirc, wasn't it the same with Bonds in baseball games? And Griffey in non-Nintendo baseball games?
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
2nd Preseason Game:

Continued Success

- 1st team offense continue to run the ball effectively
- Control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball
- Alex running the offense well
- Kaepernick running the run/option a few more times in order to get more and more film on him so other DCs have to plan for it
- No injuries!!!

Areas to Improve

- Better communication from our secondary
- Kaepernick looking to pass first, stay in the pocket, and better anticipation
- With Walker's injury, improved play from Reuland / Byham / Dobbs at TE.
- Start to implement the deeper pass patterns

GO NINERS!!

I'm surprised no one's talked about the test for our offense against the 2nd best overall defense in the NFL last year was it? Good test for the first stringers...

I agree that it will be a good test, but losing DeMeco Ryans, Mario Williams, and the injury to JJ Watt I think will significantly diminish their top-tier D

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

i'm sure the niner D is just scared s**tless lol
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

i'm sure the niner D is just scared s**tless lol

never heard of him.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
2nd Preseason Game:

Continued Success

- 1st team offense continue to run the ball effectively
- Control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball
- Alex running the offense well
- Kaepernick running the run/option a few more times in order to get more and more film on him so other DCs have to plan for it
- No injuries!!!

Areas to Improve

- Better communication from our secondary
- Kaepernick looking to pass first, stay in the pocket, and better anticipation
- With Walker's injury, improved play from Reuland / Byham / Dobbs at TE.
- Start to implement the deeper pass patterns

GO NINERS!!

I'm surprised no one's talked about the test for our offense against the 2nd best overall defense in the NFL last year was it? Good test for the first stringers...

Agreed.

What are Texans better at, run or pass defense?

Or are they more or less equal?
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Aug 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM ]
http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/8/13/3240389/position-battle-review-49ers-sign-te-joe-sawyer

49ers Sign TE Joe Sawyer

It will be interesting to see if Byham is playing as he sat out last Friday against the Vikings. Byham is in a dogfight for the third tight end role, so that would not seem to have been a "veteran's day off". Dobbs has reportedly impressed in practice, and had his moments against the Vikings. Given the playing time and whatnot, it would seem like Dobbs and Reuland might have edged ahead of Byham at this point. Sawyer will likely get some snaps this weekend, but he is likely not much more than a camp body. The 49ers have a lot to figure out with Reuland, Dobbs and Byham, so Sawyer looks like your late fourth quarter tight end.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/8/13/3240389/position-battle-review-49ers-sign-te-joe-sawyer

49ers Sign TE Joe Sawyer

It will be interesting to see if Byham is playing as he sat out last Friday against the Vikings. Byham is in a dogfight for the third tight end role, so that would not seem to have been a "veteran's day off". Dobbs has reportedly impressed in practice, and had his moments against the Vikings. Given the playing time and whatnot, it would seem like Dobbs and Reuland might have edged ahead of Byham at this point. Sawyer will likely get some snaps this weekend, but he is likely not much more than a camp body. The 49ers have a lot to figure out with Reuland, Dobbs and Byham, so Sawyer looks like your late fourth quarter tight end.

Wonder if the injury to Walker has anything to do with this. Maybe worse than Harbaugh letting on...
Share 49ersWebzone