LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Didn't he want to be a fashion designer?
No, he is just a no show.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Plays like a mid-2nd or 3rd rounder.

YEAH I SAID IT.

Name the "mid 2nd or 3rd rounder" that you are comparing his production too.

Let's put it this way... you could argue that the following players are comparable and all were taken after the first round.

• Eddie Royal (when healthy)
• Mario Manningham
• Mike Wallace
• Eric Decker
• Torrey Smith

Crab's is just not a top-10 draft pick. Maybe the end of the first round? My opinion...

When your QB averages under 200 yards a game it's a bit difficult to put up big numbers. He can't throw the ball to himself

Can Crabs get separation consistently?

Does he have deep-ball speed?

I like Crabs, but I can't sit here and pretend I don't wish he was a more complete player.

I can say the same thing about the person throwing him the ball.

True.

YEAH I SAID IT.

true dat bro...
  • fly15
  • Veteran

YEAH I SAID IT.

Let's put it this way... you could argue that the following players are comparable and all were taken after the first round.

• Eddie Royal (when healthy)
• Mario Manningham
• Mike Wallace
• Eric Decker
• Torrey Smith

Crab's is just not a top-10 draft pick. Maybe the end of the first round? My opinion...

When your QB averages under 200 yards a game it's a bit difficult to put up big numbers. He can't throw the ball to himself

plus a qb who throws for 17 tds in a whole season, difficult
Much like Alex Smith, I don't think he is a bust, but as each season has gone on I reduce my expectations so it is easier to hit the minimums.

When Smith was picked I knew nothing of him, but expected our 4th great QB in a row (I was naive enough to think of Garcia as great for a short time period). As each season went on, I lowered the expectations, and now I hope he is a solid top 10-12 type QB, who will protect the ball, do enough to win under the game plan, and then when needed he can be pretty clutch. He is not ever going to be throwing for 450 yard games and win passing titles. This doesn't mean he can't win a ring or two anyways.

For Crabtree, I knew nothing of him, but my buddies who are big college football guys told me they thought Crabtree was one of the better NCAA receivers they had ever seen. Amazing hands, very smart, fast, definitely going to be a Superstar for many years. Like Smith, I have lowered my expectations to where I think he can be a very good possession receiver, maybe an Anquan Boldin type, who is extremely important to the team and integral to the offensive production, but realistically is not a true #1 Jerry Rice/Megatron type of guy who takes over games and dominates.

So there you have a very long, confusing, and most likely not read by anyone description of why I do not think he is a bust!!

Terrell Owens was a 3rd rounder. So I suppose by that comparison, Crabtree should have been a 5th.
really, how this became another AS tread?, btw Crabs is'nt a bust
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Much like Alex Smith, I don't think he is a bust, but as each season has gone on I reduce my expectations so it is easier to hit the minimums.

When Smith was picked I knew nothing of him, but expected our 4th great QB in a row (I was naive enough to think of Garcia as great for a short time period). As each season went on, I lowered the expectations, and now I hope he is a solid top 10-12 type QB, who will protect the ball, do enough to win under the game plan, and then when needed he can be pretty clutch. He is not ever going to be throwing for 450 yard games and win passing titles. This doesn't mean he can't win a ring or two anyways.

For Crabtree, I knew nothing of him, but my buddies who are big college football guys told me they thought Crabtree was one of the better NCAA receivers they had ever seen. Amazing hands, very smart, fast, definitely going to be a Superstar for many years. Like Smith, I have lowered my expectations to where I think he can be a very good possession receiver, maybe an Anquan Boldin type, who is extremely important to the team and integral to the offensive production, but realistically is not a true #1 Jerry Rice/Megatron type of guy who takes over games and dominates.

So there you have a very long, confusing, and most likely not read by anyone description of why I do not think he is a bust!!

Actually, I think you hit the nail on the head on both counts.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Agreed. Good post.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Agreed. Good post.

How many times did Montana throw for 450 yards?
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Hey Dirty...If you think he is that good maybe we can trade him. What do you think he's worth to some other team???

I'm not going to divulge into idiotic fan trade talk. Crabtree is a productive player and is entering his 4th year. Those are facts
No, the facts are as stated below by ninerprideinNJ and I'll add he can't get seperation running routes, his hands are not as great as advertised and is slow afoot. Maybe his feet have been hurt but my no means is he special, and yea getting picked #10 in the 1st round does come with some expectations. I just hope he shows enough to be a #2 starter this year,I for one expected more than he's delivered so far.

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Considering the expectations and where he was drafted, he's absolutely a bust. He was highly touted as a game-changer and once-a-decade type talent at WR.
He's far from that.

• He has missed every training camp thus far in his career.
  • He's a marginal number 2 receiver.
  • He, in no way, makes his QB better.
  • He never makes game-changing plays.
  • Pretty sure his best statistical games are against very poor teams.

The worst part of Crab's are the last two bullets. When you don't really need him to (or it's not a crucial part of the game) he'll make a decent play or two.

But when it's a big time game or a big moment in a game he absolutely DISAPPEARS.

I had very high hopes for him and those expectations were readjusted after last season. I felt that adding Moss would light a fire and make him better by taking coverage away from him, but with another injury and a crowded WR corps. his time in SF could be limited.Which I think he wouldn't mind, because he's never shown a passion for the game or for being a 49er.
Alex Smith can always serve as the scapegoat for an under-performing receiver but explain this one to me...

Everyone on this board would/should agree that Vernon Davis is the best/only receiving threat this team has had since Terrell Owens.

Now let's consider that in Singletary's prehistoric offense, VD tied the record for most TD's in a season for a TE.

Let's also consider Davis' historic performance in the playoffs of 2011 (not to mention the fact that he came around big-time towards the last few weeks of the season).

This to me, negates the "Alex Smith is his QB" argument. Davis is the only star we've had catching passes since T.O. and he has had a couple pro-bowl seasons.

If Crabs was the talent he was touted to be, he'd be up there too. But he's not. Teams focus on Davis and Gore and Crabs is still lucky to get a 100 yd game once a year against a team like the Rams.

Again, I'll root for the guy until the cows come home, but the writing is on the wall. He's not very good when it counts.
[ Edited by NinerPrideinNJ on Aug 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Agreed. Good post.

How many times did Montana throw for 450 yards?
I dont really think thats the point. And there is no doubt in my mind that Montana would be slinging the rock in today's NFL. Could you imagine if CBs had to play off Rice like they do in today's NFL? It's a completly different era.

Dan Marino would probably thrown for 6 thousand yards.

I think Bigs main point is that it is unlikely Smith will ever become the Brees or Rogers type of QB. As proven the last 7 years, he's not talented enough to be a one man show. He's only as good as the guys around him (line or wrs).
Share 49ersWebzone