There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Originally posted by mustangmele:
Let's trade him fro Darrius Heyward Bey

DHB was on a good streak until Campbell went down. Afterwards, he struggled with injuries and had bad chemistry with Palmer. He still ended the season with more yardage than Crabtree while playing one less game.
He was one of the greatest college wide receivers of all time. He was picked #10 in the draft. There was TONS of hype about him when he was coming out of college. The dude has greatly under performed during his career. He is a huge disappointment
Can anybody name ONE game where Crabtree dominated? There are plenty of games that Vernon and Frank dominated. Name one game for Crabtree.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Can anybody name ONE game where Crabtree dominated? There are plenty of games that Vernon and Frank dominated. Name one game for Crabtree.

His first game vs the Raiders!

• Chico
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,600 for Chico.

He did have that "ONE" nice catch against the Bungals! oh wait, he stepped out of bounds, didn't he? nevermind...

Vernon Davis and Frank Gore are two of the best players in the NFL at their positions and Vernon Davis didn't put together a dominant game statistically until his 4th year with the team.

Crabs best games

@ STL 7 receptions 88 yards 2 tds

@ Ariz 7 receptions 120 yards

@STL (2010) 6 receptions 122 yards 1 td

@ Phil (2010) 9 receptions 105 yards 1 td

He's also been one of the best blocking receivers in the NFL through the past 2 seasons
[ Edited by DirtyP on Aug 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Considering the expectations and where he was drafted, he's absolutely a bust. He was highly touted as a game-changer and once-a-decade type talent at WR.
He's far from that.

• He has missed every training camp thus far in his career.
  • He's a marginal number 2 receiver.
  • He, in no way, makes his QB better.
  • He never makes game-changing plays.
  • Pretty sure his best statistical games are against very poor teams.

The worst part of Crab's are the last two bullets. When you don't really need him to (or it's not a crucial part of the game) he'll make a decent play or two.

But when it's a big time game or a big moment in a game he absolutely DISAPPEARS.

I had very high hopes for him and those expectations were readjusted after last season. I felt that adding Moss would light a fire and make him better by taking coverage away from him, but with another injury and a crowded WR corps. his time in SF could be limited.Which I think he wouldn't mind, because he's never shown a passion for the game or for being a 49er.
this post is laughable

How insightful. Please feel free to elaborate on that claim and tell me where I'm wrong.
pretty much the whole post, youre welcome
That's something someone with no argument would say. It's weird,"WookieoftheYear" was almost gonna be my screen name, but then I realized that I'm not 8 years old and don't like Star Wars.

Considering the expectations and where he was drafted, he's absolutely a bust. He was highly touted as a game-changer and once-a-decade type talent at WR.
He's far from that.

The worst part of Crab's are the last two bullets. When you don't really need him to (or it's not a crucial part of the game) he'll make a decent play or two.

But when it's a big time game or a big moment in a game he absolutely DISAPPEARS.

I had very high hopes for him and those expectations were readjusted after last season. I felt that adding Moss would light a fire and make him better by taking coverage away from him, but with another injury and a crowded WR corps. his time in SF could be limited.Which I think he wouldn't mind, because he's never shown a passion for the game or for being a 49er.
this post is laughable

How insightful. Please feel free to elaborate on that claim and tell me where I'm wrong.
pretty much the whole post, youre welcome
That's something someone with no argument would say. It's weird,"WookieoftheYear" was almost gonna be my screen name, but then I realized that I'm not 8 years old and don't like Star Wars.

Crabtree is a good WR, but he's not a top 10 yet, and I doubt he will be. Loved when we drafted him, but even in a conservative offense, his overall play has been disappointing. I no longer believe he can be a WR that many defenses have to put extra coverage on.... and that is what a top 10 WR is supposed to provide their team with. I hope he surprises me and shows that he can demand extra defensive attention. I just don't see it right now, and don't think he will get much better if he's constantly missing practice/PS time.

short answer: I don't consider him a bust... but just not worth the draft spot.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Not a bust but has not come close to his draft position value.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
For the record I do agree with this. As already stated on numerous occasions he just needs to practice. To me that's all thats really holding him back from being a 1000+ receiver. During the season you don't have the oppurtunity to gel and work on the small things. I just don't see how any QB is supposed to put 100% trust in a WR when you do not even get to iron out the things that have been lacking. How are these things supposed to get better while he sits on the bench with injuries. I for one don't think he is faking the injury, but it is still a little frustrating, that he's missing one of the most important parts of the season.

What you guys are missing complete are the other components of a WR putting up numbers. The offensive system is HUGE. Last year, this offense wasn't setup for WRs to dominate and put up gaughty numbers. Straight up. He will have a good year. Watch. Dude is extremely talented.

Also, he can't control injuries. HE HAD A BROKEN FOOT LAST YEAR.
He's far from that.

Hard to make big plays last year. THE OFFENSE WAS NOT SET UP FOR WRs TO MAKE BIG PLAYS. How can you miss that? Also, Smith missed him on several big plays. In the playoffs he did disappoint, but you forget THERE WERE ONLY TWO HEALTHY WRs. AND KYLE WILLIAMS (FOURTH WR ON MOST TEAMS) WAS THE OTHER ONE.

To say he is a marginal second WR is BS. Check out his stats in 14 games. Keep in mind the type of offense and philisophy we had if you can.

The thoughts on Crabs from some of you is just ignorant. Look at a stat sheet and then complain. I wonder if some of you even watch the games.
Today, Jim Harbaugh said Crabtree's lower-leg injury wasn't serious and he expects him to return to practice soon. Crabtree, who missed his sixth day of practice, ran a series of sprints on an adjacent field for the second straight day as part of his rehab work.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/08/03/the-streak-is-over-sidelined-crabtree-expected-back-soon/

He's the number one WR on the team. He can't catch passes that aren't thrown to him. What more do people want from the guy? He puts up pretty remarkable numbers considering he's on perennial poor passing offense.

Should he start yelling at his QB, O-line, play-callers? Would everyone prefer that instead?