LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

• Jiks
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Most of this thread is comical. A bust after 3 years? Yet we have a QB who didnt do a damn thing for his first 6.....ohhh forget it.

The hypocrisy on this board is astounding.

It was alright to hate Alex throughout those 7 years, but it's not alright for Crabtree?

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Maybe if we would have drafted someone else 4 years ago Alex would have had a true #1 WR to throw to. Instead we've waited 4 years for a guy to participate in 0-12 preseason games. I blame Crabtree for ruining this franchise.

Let's trade him fro Darrius Heyward Bey
We don't want Alex being tooo good. DHB is NFL talent, not some Pop Warner(ages 2-4) player like Crabtwigankle.

it's not crabs fault, if we can get new grass in from SF instead of the SC grass he will do better in training camp...and if we upgrade the paint on the yard lines we will see some production
I hate this... Keep everything in perspective. In this super conservative offense last year, he put up solid numbers. No WR would have put up great numbers in this offense. Especially early on. We passed like 16 times a game and a lot to RBs and TEs. Crabs played 14 games, if you take his numbers out to a full 16 game season he would have had 80 something catches and about 1,0000 yards. That is DAMN good considering this offense. And, Smith missed him on a lot of big plays.

This guy has great hands, adequate speed and good size. He is a good downfield blocker as well. He wasn't a diva at all last year. He is a good, starting WR. If we open it up a bit more this year, he will produce. He is a first round quality WR. I doubt Jenkins is ever as good as him.
Most of this thread is comical. A bust after 3 years? Yet we have a QB who didnt do a damn thing for his first 6.....ohhh forget it.

I find it easy to root for Alex Smith because he has fought through a lot of adversity, been ridiculed by his own team's fans, and he is a hard worker and I can see it. He plays tough, he doesn't complain and throw fits or tantrums, he doesn't blame his problems on others.

I find it difficult to root for Michael Crabtree because of his history. It started with his holdout and has not gotten any better. I just don't see the passion in Michael to be a football player, and that drives me crazy.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Considering the expectations and where he was drafted, he's absolutely a bust. He was highly touted as a game-changer and once-a-decade type talent at WR.
He's far from that.

• He has missed every training camp thus far in his career.
  • He's a marginal number 2 receiver.
  • He, in no way, makes his QB better.
  • He never makes game-changing plays.
  • Pretty sure his best statistical games are against very poor teams.

The worst part of Crab's are the last two bullets. When you don't really need him to (or it's not a crucial part of the game) he'll make a decent play or two.

But when it's a big time game or a big moment in a game he absolutely DISAPPEARS.

I had very high hopes for him and those expectations were readjusted after last season. I felt that adding Moss would light a fire and make him better by taking coverage away from him, but with another injury and a crowded WR corps. his time in SF could be limited.Which I think he wouldn't mind, because he's never shown a passion for the game or for being a 49er.
this post is laughable

How insightful. Please feel free to elaborate on that claim and tell me where I'm wrong.
pretty much the whole post, youre welcome
That's something someone with no argument would say. It's weird,"WookieoftheYear" was almost gonna be my screen name, but then I realized that I'm not 8 years old and don't like Star Wars.
[ Edited by NinerPrideinNJ on Aug 3, 2012 at 2:58 PM ]
  • Jiks
Originally posted by sacniner:
I hate this... Keep everything in perspective. In this super conservative offense last year, he put up solid numbers. No WR would have put up great numbers in this offense. Especially early on. We passed like 16 times a game and a lot to RBs and TEs. Crabs played 14 games, if you take his numbers out to a full 16 game season he would have had 80 something catches and about 1,0000 yards. That is DAMN good considering this offense. And, Smith missed him on a lot of big plays.

This guy has great hands, adequate speed and good size. He is a good downfield blocker as well. He wasn't a diva at all last year. He is a good, starting WR. If we open it up a bit more this year, he will produce. He is a first round quality WR. I doubt Jenkins is ever as good as him.

For the record I do agree with this. As already stated on numerous occasions he just needs to practice. To me that's all thats really holding him back from being a 1000+ receiver. During the season you don't have the oppurtunity to gel and work on the small things. I just don't see how any QB is supposed to put 100% trust in a WR when you do not even get to iron out the things that have been lacking. How are these things supposed to get better while he sits on the bench with injuries. I for one don't think he is faking the injury, but it is still a little frustrating, that he's missing one of the most important parts of the season.
That's something someone with no argument would say. It's weird,"WookieoftheYear" was almost gonna be my screen name, but then I realized that I'm not 8 years old and don't like Star Wars.

lol
Originally posted by sacniner:

Wow, going a little overboard there aren't you? You haven't even seen Jenkins play a snap and you are already saying he will not be as good as Crabtree?

Alex works hard during TC to get better.....Crabs works on this tan
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
No. The NFL has been around nearly 100 years. In those 100 years, legendary players have been drafted 1st overall and not drafted at all. What does this mean to me? That it doesn't matter where a player is selected in the Draft, if he doesn't produce on the field, he doesn't produce on the field. Period.
I'm really tired of the whole concept of "busts". The fact of the matter is most teams draft a player that fills their immediate needs. If the 49ers drafted Michael Crabtree 1st overall or 200th overall, his production would still be the same. Does anybody in this forum honestly believe that if the 49ers drafted Joe Montana in the 1st Round, that somehow he'd have more than 4 rings? I don't think so. With that said, the appropriate question I suppose then would be "Is Michael Crabtree playing up to the level his employers are paying him to play?" My answer is yes. I won't even entertain the idea that professional football players are permitted to feign an injury in order to excuse them from what is arguably the easiest (and shortest) portion of an NFL season. That is straight ignorance.

Originally posted by lamontb:
It means drafting a guy with size and speed of both guys coming out of college. I'm not talking about the finished product. Crabtree wasn't in either guys league in terms measurables. Like a Aj Green or Julio Jones. Just like the Jags wasted a pick on Blackmon this year. He's not a game changer, and neither is Crabtree.

Lol you mean use Al Davis' draft strategy?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Don't worry guys.

He's on the Alex Smith plan..just wait 3 more years and he will be average

lmfao

Considering the expectations and where he was drafted, he's absolutely a bust. He was highly touted as a game-changer and once-a-decade type talent at WR.
He's far from that.

• He has missed every training camp thus far in his career.
  • He's a marginal number 2 receiver.
  • He, in no way, makes his QB better.
  • He never makes game-changing plays.
  • Pretty sure his best statistical games are against very poor teams.

The worst part of Crab's are the last two bullets. When you don't really need him to (or it's not a crucial part of the game) he'll make a decent play or two.

But when it's a big time game or a big moment in a game he absolutely DISAPPEARS.

I had very high hopes for him and those expectations were readjusted after last season. I felt that adding Moss would light a fire and make him better by taking coverage away from him, but with another injury and a crowded WR corps. his time in SF could be limited.Which I think he wouldn't mind, because he's never shown a passion for the game or for being a 49er.
this post is laughable

How insightful. Please feel free to elaborate on that claim and tell me where I'm wrong.
pretty much the whole post, youre welcome

A bust would be on his way out of the league. So no he is not a bust. Your just butthurt if you answered yes.
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Hey Dirty...If you think he is that good maybe we can trade him. What do you think he's worth to some other team???

I'm not going to divulge into idiotic fan trade talk. Crabtree is a productive player and is entering his 4th year. Those are facts
Share 49ersWebzone