There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Originally posted by littleken:
No, Crabtree is not a bust. He is not a star. People can say he hasn't meet the expectation of a 10th pick, but expectation is always too high.
For example, people might expect a top 10 QB on the #1 pick, but what are the changes of meeting this expectation. I would say it is about 50% chance. The last 10 #1 pick QB excluding Cam Newton and Sam Bradford (too soon to tell) would results in the following:

Surely meet expectation: Peyton Manning, Eli Manning
Probably meet expecation: Michael Vick, Matthew Stafford, Drew Bledsoe
Questionable: Carson Palmer
Probably Not meet expecation: Alex Smith
Bust: David Carr, JaMarcus Russell, Tim Couch

Similarly, people would expect a 10th pick WR to be a star, but I would say a solid starting receiver would be a more reasonable expectation. Under my expectation, Crabtree would not be a bust.
Uh wha?
Originally posted by Garcia:
I'm kind of getting the feeling the crabtree will be gone after this year if he doesnt produce....

what yall think?

I don't think he's the sort of personality that our coaching staff values. We now have a fully blue collar, killer instinct type of team and Crabtree just isn't that kind of guy. There's an odd insular quality about him. While the rest of the team has fully bought into the new regime and have subsequently undergone a revolution, Crabtree seems to be steadily, if not spectacularly, progressing in his own little world. He's kinda like an engine technician in a shop full of grease monkeys.

In the past, I've written about his personality and how I think it's holding him back, but at this point he's not a kid anymore--although many on this board prefer to treat him that way. The likelihood that he'll suddenly develop a mean streak is nearly zero at this point, and I'm not sure that our coaching staff has much use for guys like that.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I don't think he's the sort of personality that our coaching staff values. We now have a fully blue collar, killer instinct type of team and Crabtree just isn't that kind of guy. There's an odd insular quality about him. While the rest of the team has fully bought into the new regime and have subsequently undergone a revolution, Crabtree seems to be steadily, if not spectacularly, progressing in his own little world. He's kinda like an engine technician in a shop full of grease monkeys.

In the past, I've written about his personality and how I think it's holding him back, but at this point he's not a kid anymore--although many on this board prefer to treat him that way. The likelihood that he'll suddenly develop a mean streak is nearly zero at this point, and I'm not sure that our coaching staff has much use for guys like that.

The only window into his personality you have is him speaking to the media and he is obviously not comfortable in that setting. On camera Iupati looks uncomfortable, sounds unsure of himself and has a hard time answering basic football questions. Does this mean he doesn't have a mean streak? Crabtree had some punishing blocks last year. Im not sure what else a wide receiver needs to do to prove he is a physical player when the ball is not coming his way.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Nuns:
1 catch for 3 yards..

Good news! He's already in post season form:)

lol!

LOL!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
1 catch for 3 yards..

Good news! He's already in post season form:)

lol!

LOL!

Funny! ....and nauseating at the same time
Certain people conveniently forget that crabtree scored a td in the postseason....but its all good, continue bashing our most productive wr ( in a offense that was in the bottom of the league for pass attempts) in the last couple of years .
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Certain people conveniently forget that crabtree scored a td in the postseason....but its all good, continue bashing our most productive wr ( in a offense that was in the bottom of the league for pass attempts) in the last couple of years .

It's Crabtrees fault he doesn't put up big numbers in an offense that barely threw for 3000 yards
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

It's Crabtrees fault he doesn't put up big numbers in an offense that barely threw for 3000 yards

I'm convinced that most of the people bashing Crabtree are missing half their brains. The guy has been very productive in an offense that features the TE and RBs. Alex Smith is also the QB . He isn't exactly a downfield thrower.

Wut a bum, cut heem

Funny you mentioned that.... 1 for 4yds TD catch

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 25, 2012 at 12:49 PM ]

I'm not a Crabtree basher but a good joke is a good joke.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:

I'm convinced that most of the people bashing Crabtree are missing half their brains. The guy has been very productive in an offense that features the TE and RBs. Alex Smith is also the QB . He isn't exactly a downfield thrower.

and 17tds in 16 games......
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
No, Crabtree is not a bust. He is not a star. People can say he hasn't meet the expectation of a 10th pick, but expectation is always too high.
For example, people might expect a top 10 QB on the #1 pick, but what are the changes of meeting this expectation. I would say it is about 50% chance. The last 10 #1 pick QB excluding Cam Newton and Sam Bradford (too soon to tell) would results in the following:

Surely met expectation: Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, John Elway
Probably met expecation: Michael Vick, Matthew Stafford, Drew Bledsoe, Matt Ryan
Questionable: Carson Palmer, Donavan Mcnabb
Probably Not met expecation: Alex Smith, Vinny Testaverde, Trent Dilfer, Matt Leinert
Bust: David Carr, JaMarcus Russell, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Rick Mirer, Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington

Similarly, people would expect a 10th pick WR to be a star, but I would say a solid starting receiver would be a more reasonable expectation. Under my expectation, Crabtree would not be a bust.
Uh wha?
Updated
[ Edited by Nuns on Aug 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Surely met expectation: Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, John Elway
Probably met expecation: Michael Vick, Matthew Stafford, Drew Bledsoe, Matt Ryan
Questionable: Carson Palmer, Donavan Mcnabb
Probably Not met expecation: Alex Smith, Vinny Testaverde, Trent Dilfer, Matt Leinert
Bust: David Carr, JaMarcus Russell, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Rick Mirer, Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, Todd Blackledge

Uh wha?
You'll note I left out Dan Mcguire, Cade Mcnown and other non top 10 qb pick busts.
Updated
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I like Crabtree, but he certainly isn't the 1 I expected him to be. Just for fun, here are real WR busts over the last decade or so....

1. Carlos Rogers- A long line of bad WR picks by Millen. 2nd overall and didn't amount to anything

2. Mike Williams- Kipers best pick in the draft. Failed in Detroit, made a comeback in Seattle and then ate his way out of league.

3. Troy Williamson- Vikings replaced Randy Moss with this journeyman when they got a 1rst from the Raiders.

4. Reggie Williams- I watched this guy in college and thought he'd be a beast in the NFL. His addictive personality said otherwise

5. Tedd Ginn JR- Our very own pro-bowlesque returner was picked 9th overall and traded a few years later for a 5th round draft pick.