There are 175 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defensive Dynasty?

Read this article on Niners Digest.com by Antonio Gonzalez, he posed the question, Can The Niners build a Defensive Dynasty?
Since watching them last year I felt that this D is something special. The pieces are in place from front to back for years to come.
I'd like to hear the fans viewpoints.
Need a ring, otherwise we're just the modern era Purple People Eaters. I wanna be the modern era Steel Curtain
Where there's a Willis, there's a defensive dynasty.
I thought about creating a thread like this today with a little different spin.

I was thinking: What would it take to be considered a legendary defense?

Like: The Steele Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Monsters of the Midway, Ravens 2000 and so on? Do we need multiple Bowls? Some high profile records? At least the most dominant defense for a few seasons? We just missed it last year, edged out by the Steelers (Points per Game).
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I thought about creating a thread like this today with a little different spin.

I was thinking: What would it take to be considered a legendary defense?

Like: The Steele Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Monsters of the Midway, Ravens 2000 and so on? Do we need multiple Bowls? Some high profile records? At least the most dominant defense for a few seasons? We just missed it last year, edged out by the Steelers (Points per Game).

SuperBowl ring(s) AND longevity. I think in this modern age of high octane offenses, our defense could be among the best in nfl history.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I thought about creating a thread like this today with a little different spin.

I was thinking: What would it take to be considered a legendary defense?

Like: The Steele Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Monsters of the Midway, Ravens 2000 and so on? Do we need multiple Bowls? Some high profile records? At least the most dominant defense for a few seasons? We just missed it last year, edged out by the Steelers (Points per Game).

SuperBowl ring(s) AND longevity. I think in this modern age of high octane offenses, our defense could be among the best in nfl history.

While I think our defense is elite, I'm not sure its historically good yet. That Ravens D of 2000 was so good it was like an offense. The way I remember it, teams were affraid to put there O on the field in fear of a turnover. I even think the Ravens O was worst than ours last year.

Our D still has an element of bend but dont break. Teams still march on us, but they stall in the redzone, because we are just so darn fast and completly shutdown the run.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I thought about creating a thread like this today with a little different spin.

I was thinking: What would it take to be considered a legendary defense?

Like: The Steele Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Monsters of the Midway, Ravens 2000 and so on? Do we need multiple Bowls? Some high profile records? At least the most dominant defense for a few seasons? We just missed it last year, edged out by the Steelers (Points per Game).

SuperBowl ring(s) AND longevity. I think in this modern age of high octane offenses, our defense could be among the best in nfl history.

nah you don't need longevity, Ravens, Bears. Bucs all did the one year dominance. However, you DO need to dominate in the Superbowl
Talk to me when we win the Super Bowl Mr.Vick...
We need at least 3 Super Bowls to be considered at the very top.

Even though the Ravens won only 1 SBowl, their D has been statistically at the top. So, if we can keep the stats for 3 years + then I guess some will say D Dynasty.

Would much rather win the Super Bowls. Our D during the Walsh era didn't have a household nickname or any of that stuff - they just shut down high powered offenses like Marino's Dolphins and Elway's Broncos to name 2. Those D teams were fast, and very tough. Kind of like now. I think that's what Baalke/JH are building for.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Where there's a Willis, there's a defensive dynasty.

This defense reminds me a lot of the SB Tampa defense. I think we are faster over all. I believed Tampa played a 4-3 so they were very good against the run, but for us to be that stout against the run in a 3-4 is just amazing to me. Both put a lot of pressure upfront with linebackers like Brooks and Willis roaming the middle. Very good DBs. And hard hitting. We need to lock up Fangio for he next 5-7 years. Harbaugh need not dip his spoon in Vic's soup.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This defense reminds me a lot of the SB Tampa defense. I think we are faster over all. I believed Tampa played a 4-3 so they were very good against the run, but for us to be that stout against the run in a 3-4 is just amazing to me. Both put a lot of pressure upfront with linebackers like Brooks and Willis roaming the middle. Very good DBs. And hard hitting. We need to lock up Fangio for he next 5-7 years. Harbaugh need not dip his spoon in Vic's soup.

Just imagine if we won the SB last year...and possibly making the same aquisitions this year, we could be going back to back.... A bit of a stretch but not a crazy thought
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Just imagine if we won the SB last year...and possibly making the same aquisitions this year, we could be going back to back.... A bit of a stretch but not a crazy thought

I probably would have bet my life they were going on to win it all if you asked me right after the Saints game...

How cruel last year was....
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Just imagine if we won the SB last year...and possibly making the same aquisitions this year, we could be going back to back.... A bit of a stretch but not a crazy thought

I probably would have bet my life they were going on to win it all if you asked me right after the Saints game...

How cruel last year was....

It was one of the driest winters in CA history and it had to rain that weekend...refs reverse a turnover we drop two INTs....all our lucky bounces were used up
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Just imagine if we won the SB last year...and possibly making the same aquisitions this year, we could be going back to back.... A bit of a stretch but not a crazy thought

I probably would have bet my life they were going on to win it all if you asked me right after the Saints game...

How cruel last year was....

I had my doubts going into the game because of the injuries to the WR. But when VD scored 2 TDs and the defense was just harassing Eli and actually got better as the game went on -even into overtime, I thought we had a real good chance of winning it. Then you know what happened....