There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

5 Under the Radar Questions Heading Into Training Camp

1. Will Aldon Smith be able to handle an increased role in pass coverage, and will his play drop off as a full time starter?

2. Can Terell Brown pick up where he left off as a solid #2 CB, or will he start the season slow again?

3. How will the offensive playcalling evolve in the 2nd year under Jim Harbaugh, or will it remain the same?

4. What is this year's theme and how will Jim Harbaugh's leadership evolve? Last year it was "the team, the team, the team" which I'm sure still holds true...But will there be a new war cry other than "Who's got it better than us?!"

5. How do you see the pass distribution playing out in the first half of the season (Ex. THROWN TO Vernon Davis 30%; Crabtree 23%; Moss 25%; Manningham etc etc)?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
4 and 5 mean nothing to me. bullet point number one should be moved into the category of most important questions this season. i hope he can handle it mentally and physically. His mental toughness is a concern to me with his off the field escapades this summer. a good under the radar question is who will be the backups in the return game,assuming ginn is ok. i think we have better options in case ginn does go down such as cox, the rock, one or two of the kids we drafted and even kyle williams. that will be fun to see in the pre season
It's no accident that T. Brown had a break out season towards the second half as he was more comfortable playing in Fangio's new defense. The people that said our defense can't play any better may be very wrong. The Packers will find out first hand come Sept.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
It's no accident that T. Brown had a break out season towards the second half as he was more comfortable playing in Fangio's new defense. The people that said our defense can't play any better may be very wrong. The Packers will find out first hand come Sept.

i agree. when people say our defense can not play any better have no answer, other than possible injuries,, when you ask them why. The ravens have had the best defense in the afc for ten years .... why can't we be the nfc version of the ravens defense for the next ten years? they kept thier key people, they drafted well and have used free agency smartly. we can do that to.we do the little fundamental things so well like tackling and pursuit plus we have that speed. tough to draw up plays against those basic things we do better than any other team
Originally posted by cciowa:

i agree. when people say our defense can not play any better have no answer, other than possible injuries,, when you ask them why. The ravens have had the best defense in the afc for ten years .... why can't we be the nfc version of the ravens defense for the next ten years? they kept thier key people, they drafted well and have used free agency smartly. we can do that to.we do the little fundamental things so well like tackling and pursuit plus we have that speed. tough to draw up plays against those basic things we do better than any other team

Agree. Can't wait to see this defense dominate, especially if the offense can help them get plenty of rest this season.
I expect Crabtree, Moss and Davis to get a similar number of looks. Manningham will get slightly less.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Agree. Can't wait to see this defense dominate, especially if the offense can help them get plenty of rest this season.
Many of the pundits predict there is no way the D can play to the same level as 2011. I for one would be shocked if they don't become better and by better I mean the 2001 Ravens. The only thing that can stop this from happening is the newly instituted flag football rules. The powers that be want a Tom Brady type sitting in the pocket playing pitch and catch. If he does get hit he can just motion to the ref and a flag will be thrown. Let's play some football!

Who did you ask to get a no answer?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Who did you ask to get a no answer?
what do you want names? i can not remember. I think in the thread about 7,2 wins there were a few talking about how , in thier opinion, the defense will come back down to earth , teams will find a weakness in our defense. teams have all year to study film. things like that. i then ask them why do you think we will come back to earth? why do you not think we can continue to be strong for years? i usually get no response. You have probably seen some of those statements where people say" there is no way our defense will play at that level again"... aside from key injuries i see no reason why we can not maintain that level of play
barring injury our young D as a unit will continue to get better.. In my opinion their success largly depends on the position that our special teams and O puts them in. The low ints , time of possesion, and great special teams play contributed mightily to the D's dominance last year... With that said the kind of moves were making, the air professionalisim within the front office and coaching staff, and the truly kickbutt cast of amazing players.. i wholly expect us to be more of a dynasty than a fluke flash in the pan
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
barring injury our young D as a unit will continue to get better.. In my opinion their success largly depends on the position that our special teams and O puts them in. The low ints , time of possesion, and great special teams play contributed mightily to the D's dominance last year... With that said the kind of moves were making, the air professionalisim within the front office and coaching staff, and the truly kickbutt cast of amazing players.. i wholly expect us to be more of a dynasty than a fluke flash in the pan
i agree. we pursue, wrap and tackle better than anyone. do you guys remember the old days when our players would always be missing tackles? those are 3 little things that we can control and teams can not take away from us in my opinion
1. I think so he just needs the reps at OLB. If not he'll be able to produce again in teh same role he had last year.

2. Hope so he's been inconsistent. He really came into his own in the 2nd half of last year. Big test for him week 1. Last time they played the Packers Brown was thoroughly embarrassed out there.

3. gonna be great to watch the progression of the offense. Gotta do something to improve red zone scoring. Can we please see some fade patterns.

4. really don't care

5. throw to whoever is open
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
1. I think so he just needs the reps at OLB. If not he'll be able to produce again in teh same role he had last year.

2. Hope so he's been inconsistent. He really came into his own in the 2nd half of last year. Big test for him week 1. Last time they played the Packers Brown was thoroughly embarrassed out there.

3. gonna be great to watch the progression of the offense. Gotta do something to improve red zone scoring. Can we please see some fade patterns.

4. really don't care

5. throw to whoever is open
good post esp 4 and 5. i agree!
To address 4 if Harbaugh does keep the sayings the only thing that will matter is winning. Players bought into it last year (they were hesitant at 1st). If you keep winning the guys will embrace anything Harbaugh tells them. It's when you start to lose when players start thinking "yeah yeah whos got it better than us? that's geting old". Anyways, I still think it's the team the team the team... I'd expect us to still say who's got it better than us after the wins... like I said as long as we are winning it won't get old.

5 is a good question... people will say throw it to who is open but let's hope Moss, Crabtree, etc are mature enough to handle not getting as many touches as they like. We have a lot of weapons at RB, TE and WR who can catch the ball. Not everyone is going to be happy. Let's just hope they realize it's just about winning.

I'm out of order but question #2....Brown has 2 years left and if he doesn't step up and continue to play well guys like Culliver or even Cox/Brock could take his spot. Don't rule out the draft either. No reason to keep him starting (or even around when he is a fa) if he doesn't play well and the other guys are. Hopefully he has turned a corner and will remain consistent. He's always shown flashes, now it's time to step up and stay at a high level.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM ]
1) aldon is going to still split time with haralson etc. he will be used more/ alot more than last year imo

2)Id like to hope so

3)weve been built to be a hard nose run "smash your mouth" football team in recent drafts via free agency, but this year picking up a CGoodwin who is better in pass blocking than run blocking and grabbing Randy Moss a future HOF a Manningham who did well in fantasy stats and for the NYG in 10' and grabbed a speedy WR type like a desean jackson in Jenkins, then a impossible 4 RB set in Jacobs/Gore/Hunter/Lamichael i think it shows we are going to try and be as versatile as we can and unpredictable in our offense as we can so since we are going to be so unpredictable i cant tell you what we will be, but imo we are leaning more towards passing than ever before.

4) Forsho

5) Crabs involved alot more to see if hes a true #1 WR or just a bust at pick 7, and i think Moss/Manningham will be used just as much as crabtree will be with VD breaking 900 yards 11 TD's so i think alex has the 4300 yard, 38 TD' 13 INT' year that everyone is looking for.