There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012 TRAINING CAMP THREAD

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Good post, but kind of disagree with Hunter. Still not really sure what his role is going to be, I think with the addition of James he may be fighting for playing time. I don't know, just not really sure how we are going to be using all these RB's. I'm going out on a limb(well kind of) and saying James will be a pretty good player for us. Not only that but he was a second round pick, and it seems he should be on the field.

At the same time it is Harbaugh, so I dunno. I do know it's going to pretty fun to watch and find out here day now though.

If it's my team Dixon and Jacobs fight it out for the short yardage back. I'm keeping Cartwright as a vet leader for ST so Dixon's value somewhat goes out the window. Both aren't much of short yardage backs but I still give the edge to Jacobs who has been there done that. Hunter and James are of course locks with Gore and will be the future in a year or two. I am running it like 60-40 to 50-50 with Gore and Hunter/James. Keep Gore's legs fresh. A lot of two back sets with Hunter and James or Gore and Hunter/James. We like to dump it off and having both in the backfield is a good way to turn a small pass into a big play. As for Hunter and the pre season we might not know his exact role but we know what he brings and he's a lock. To me we need to see these other guys more. Gore might not even play so Hunter might just be the starter for the 1st series or two. If Gore wants work than maybe a series or two a game. Side note though anyone taht watched James at Oregon does he pass block well? He might have to spend some time doing that this pre season to get use to doing it in the NFL. If we use 2 back systems or even a 1 back system we can't send our guy(s) out every time. They might have to pass block or chip and then release.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i really dont care about any starters this preseason (except moss) because i know they will all do well come reg season

im very intrested to see backup spots specifically how the WR perform (very deep there) RBs (another deep position) QB (kaep vs johnson)

on defense i would like to see aldons transition

also im very hgh on cam johnson the S spot is also something to keep an eye on were thin there

We should all feel blessed that as fans, these are the scenarios we get to mull over and think about vs. Cody Picket being a QB or a WR. orrr Is Arnaz Battle going to be healthy? orrr Is that dyslexic QB from Ball St. a better QB than Alex? orrr is Troy Smith the answer?
Holy crap that was brutal.
49ers WR/returner Ted Ginn says today was big test in return from injuries and gave himself an A+

49ers top pick AJ Jenkins says he is mentally lot stronger since critical debut at rookie camp; also been studying return plus WR duties

49ers confirm earlier-reported transactions on 3 rookies: LB Fleming on PUP; G Looney, RB Hampton on active/non-football injury list.

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=CamInman

WR Ted Ginn reported and is fine, as is TE Delanie Walker, who also missed time in offseason program. All QBs are here because they can be.
https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=MaioccoCSN
wow i like how ginn gained 10 pounds

might help him run down middle for receptions and make him that much harder to tackle

might help him run down middle for receptions and make him that much harder to tackle

He realizes that his roster spot isn't guaranteed, and he may have to win the 5/6 WR spot too. Good for him
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

He realizes that his roster spot isn't guaranteed, and he may have to win the 5/6 WR spot too. Good for him

True, but hes still the best return man we have, and that's much needed.

i think the locks for now are

moss
crabtree
manningham
AJ jenkins

ginn is a lock only for his ST duties (if someone outshines him here and he doesnt improve at WR hes gone

i also think kyle williams makes the team he is just too talented imo he can be a great slot WR

i think the locks for now are

moss
crabtree
manningham
AJ jenkins

ginn is a lock only for his ST duties (if someone outshines him here and he doesnt improve at WR hes gone

i also think kyle williams makes the team he is just too talented imo he can be a great slot WR

I think all 6 guys will make the team. In terms of the best 53 man roster, I believe that Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams, and Ginn Jr. are all in the best 53 man roster conversation. And Jenkins being a 1st round pick is guaranteed a roster spot this year.
I think all 6 guys will make the team. In terms of the best 53 man roster, I believe that Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Williams, and Ginn Jr. are all in the best 53 man roster conversation. And Jenkins being a 1st round pick is guaranteed a roster spot this year.

Agreed, I'd rather have too many WRs than not enough. Hopefully we learned from last year. It might mean one or two of these guys has to be inactive certain games but over the course of the season we will probably need all of them. Too much talent to let one go. There are plenty of other spots to save roster spots on.
didnt camp, lol
NFL32 about to show an NFC West preview on ESPN2.

You're welcome verga breaths!
dbl post
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
49ers WR/returner Ted Ginn says today was big test in return from injuries and gave himself an A+
He also added 10 pounds to go from 185 to 195

49ers top pick AJ Jenkins says he is mentally lot stronger since critical debut at rookie camp; also been studying return plus WR duties

49ers confirm earlier-reported transactions on 3 rookies: LB Fleming on PUP; G Looney, RB Hampton on active/non-football injury list.

WR Ted Ginn reported and is fine, as is TE Delanie Walker, who also missed time in offseason program. All QBs are here because they can be.

also from cam inman's twitter:
Jenkins says his body and mindset are much stronger than rookie-camp debut I've made long strides," Jenkins said. "Obviously I had criticism when I first came in as far as being in shape. That's irrelevant now.

He still has not run "The Hill" with Jerry. Still on his to-do list: Take up Jerry Rice on an invitation to run a famed training hill in San Carlos. But that plan is on hold while Jenkins is engrossed in his first training camp. Said Jenkins: "Hopefully one day I'll get in contact with him and we can do it."

Also, Ginn has been giving jenkins some advice when it comes to returning.

From Barrows:
QBs, 2011 practice squadders, 2011 IR guys, etc. .... RT @poolenium: Who are the "selected veterans", is that predetermined?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Good post, but kind of disagree with Hunter. Still not really sure what his role is going to be, I think with the addition of James he may be fighting for playing time. I don't know, just not really sure how we are going to be using all these RB's. I'm going out on a limb(well kind of) and saying James will be a pretty good player for us. Not only that but he was a second round pick, and it seems he should be on the field.

At the same time it is Harbaugh, so I dunno. I do know it's going to pretty fun to watch and find out here day now though.

If it's my team Dixon and Jacobs fight it out for the short yardage back. I'm keeping Cartwright as a vet leader for ST so Dixon's value somewhat goes out the window. Both aren't much of short yardage backs but I still give the edge to Jacobs who has been there done that. Hunter and James are of course locks with Gore and will be the future in a year or two. I am running it like 60-40 to 50-50 with Gore and Hunter/James. Keep Gore's legs fresh. A lot of two back sets with Hunter and James or Gore and Hunter/James. We like to dump it off and having both in the backfield is a good way to turn a small pass into a big play. As for Hunter and the pre season we might not know his exact role but we know what he brings and he's a lock. To me we need to see these other guys more. Gore might not even play so Hunter might just be the starter for the 1st series or two. If Gore wants work than maybe a series or two a game. Side note though anyone taht watched James at Oregon does he pass block well? He might have to spend some time doing that this pre season to get use to doing it in the NFL. If we use 2 back systems or even a 1 back system we can't send our guy(s) out every time. They might have to pass block or chip and then release.
I watched all LaMichael's games and it seems like the chip and release as an outlet is what I remember him doing best but the Oregon offense was very gimiky. I keep reading it but he really is a guy you want in open space with the ball. The amazing thing about him is he is an open space runner/receiver but he can go inside and get you the tough 3 yards when you need it. Harbaugh saw him at Stanford and will know how to use him, he will be a cold blooded b*****d using him against opposing teams.

also from cam inman's twitter:
Jenkins says his body and mindset are much stronger than rookie-camp debut I've made long strides," Jenkins said. "Obviously I had criticism when I first came in as far as being in shape. That's irrelevant now.

He still has not run "The Hill" with Jerry. Still on his to-do list: Take up Jerry Rice on an invitation to run a famed training hill in San Carlos. But that plan is on hold while Jenkins is engrossed in his first training camp. Said Jenkins: "Hopefully one day I'll get in contact with him and we can do it."

From Barrows:
QBs, 2011 practice squadders, 2011 IR guys, etc. .... RT @poolenium: Who are the "selected veterans", is that predetermined?
I like the patience that Jenkins is showing, WR's need time to develop, he will be fine with time.