There are 192 users in the forums

Name some players that will see more playing time this season.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Willie Middlebrooks.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by GuessWhosOn3rd:
Kaepernick.

Cause of the amount of times we sit Alex in the 4th quarter cause we're blowing the other team out.

Oh man.. would that be awesome. As much as we have suffered through the nail-biters... oh yes... give me lots of this!
x2. This would also give Kaep invaluable on the field playing time.

Yes! great additional point. Would love to see CK get more chances to get those feet wet in meaningful (well, somewhat meaningful) live action.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
vd's ass crack

not sure if possible. granted, all he showed last year was coin slot, but if he goes real deal cracktastic, the FCC will have to step in. If we can't peep Janet Jackson's breast, how come we have to see a tight end's tight end?
Originally posted by Shaj:
Tramaine Brock I'm guessing. Maybe Kaep in garbage time when we're way ahead. Also LeMichael (or however his name is spelled)

I don't see Brock's playing time increasing. I think he'd have to exceed the play of Culliver and Cox for that to happen. It's possible of course, but I have a hard time envisioning it.

I think the increases will be modest, but Kendall Hunter and Bruce Miller should see more touches after solid rookie seasons.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jul 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM ]
Culliver and Aldon Smith.
Tom Brady
Offense: Hunter / James, Boone

Defense: RJF, Aldon Smith, Chris Culliver, CJ Spillman
Boone for sure. Aldon Smith is also a no brainer. I think Chris Culliver will get himself intot he mix more. He could lock down the third spot.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Offense: Hunter / James, Boone

Defense: RJF, Aldon Smith, Chris Culliver, CJ Spillman

This, minus Spillman. He looks like his niche is STs.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Alex Smith's arm.
Alex Boone
Chris Culliver
A.J. Jenkins
Kyle Williams

Love this. I agree..., if in order, Kyle would probably go above Jenkins to start. He'll be a fantastic slot receiver.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more Cox/Brock and RJF/Dobbs & Spillman too.

The guy next to Boone (still not convinced Alex will win the RG spot yet but he is the front runner) who might get the most playing time will be Hunter. The kid is a dynamic runner and was THE best outlet for Alex last year (and very effective). He plays very well with the strengths (out-in-space run blocking) of the OL on pitch-outs, middle-screens and has become a very effective blocker for Alex. He can also run inside and has the speed to run off tackle as well.

I think Moss will see the most time re: the FA's, followed by Manningham, Cox & Jacobs.
I agree about Hunter, Cox, RJF, Dobbs, & Spillman. They will see a bit more playing time, especially Hunter. I think Hunter is our future feature RB. Jacobs will NOT get more carries than Hunter. I'm not sure about Moss though. I'm just not sure there's much a 35 year old can do in un-padded practices or in the preseason that will tell an NFL coaching staff that he should see more playing time over younger potentially budding stars or drafted 1st rounders. Personally, I think many fans are smitten by the name sake of Randy Moss and ignore the realities of the NFL and it's culture. I think A.J. will see more playing time than any other WR not named Crabtree. (And my upcoming final 53 prediction will reflect that.) And I predict that Kyle Williams seriously will push Manningham for playing time.

Could be...we have a long ways to go. If Moss is in a better, more humble place, talent-wise he is the best on our team, hands down (or up, in this case) and he looks like he's in tremendous shape. I guestimated that he and Manningham have similar games, in that both are serious deep threats, with speed and have great timing of their jumps (big play guys) and teams will have to respect that by playing off them. So I could see keeping both guys hungry and fresh by using part of a rotation here. Manningham has been quite but then again, he's learning all three WR positions. Kyle and Jenkins I could see owning the slot position but that said, Kyle played all three positions last year and did very well...so why wouldn't Jenkins be used in this same mode...it seems our coaches REALLY like to bring guys along slowly and develop them properly (Hunter, Williams, Aldon, etc.). I don't think we'll see true #1's-#3's but a versatile receiving group that plays all three positions in various WCO/Spread that is tailored to each players strengths based on the formations Roman wants to play.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
KW.. No joke, I think he's gonna rise to the top. Even with the added depth at the position.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
KW.. No joke, I think he's gonna rise to the top. Even with the added depth at the position.

He has the ability. I'm just hesitant that think he'll beat out Manningham. I think Mario is a touch overrated, but that's still a big jump for KW.
[ Edited by strickac on Jul 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

someone's gonna be the # 6 INactive WR on the bench for most weeks. Who will that be? if not KW?

( sure, maybe an injury forces this answer... but... )
I think the starting offensive line of 2009 will be the most improved: Was that only three years ago?

Baas, Heitmann, Sims, Rachal, Snyder (Staley injured for much of the year)
Boone, Dobbs and Tukuafu, Grant maybe just to utilize his talents...dude is very good at pretty much everything, especially coverage.

On offense I'd say that Hunter will definitely see a lot more carries this year. I doubt they run Gore as much as they did in 2011 in the regular season. Look for Hunter to take a significant amount of carries and touches from Gore weeks 1-16, so we can have Frank the Tank fresh for the playoffs and the Superbowl.
Share 49ersWebzone