There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our Pass Rush will be even more dangerous next year

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:


PS: How many TD's were taken away from us last year? Geesh!

49ersalldaway had this answer broken down pretty well. IIRC, I could remember 7.. but I think it was more like 11 total.

Seriously? Wow!
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Reporter: 'How's Aldon Smith...? Has he recovered from the remnants of the stabbing?"

Harb: 'Aldon ... Yeah, Aldon is in excellent health. They removed a couple of blades from his back and groin. He's in good health In all possible ways. Never better'

Reporter: 'I meant psychological remnants... Does he seemed OK... Is he doing the right thing.'

Harb: 'Aldon Smith is an outstanding young man. Super-- super -- personality. He has the type of character that I would let him babysit my daughters. Protective. Protective.'
This is hilarious but spot on
Originally posted by ninermedic:
This is hilarious but spot on


Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Reporter: 'How's Aldon Smith...? Has he recovered from the remnants of the stabbing?"

Harb: 'Aldon ... Yeah, Aldon is in excellent health. They removed a couple of blades from his back and groin. He's in good health In all possible ways. Never better'

Reporter: 'I meant psychological remnants... Does he seemed OK... Is he doing the right thing.'

Harb: 'Aldon Smith is an outstanding young man. Super-- super -- personality. He has the type of character that I would let him babysit my daughters. Protective. Protective.'
Never better?
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
By training camp Aldon Smith's episode will be in the rear view mirror. Let's hope he gets the message and stays cool. In the playoffs against top offensive lines the pass rush got better each quarter. Against the Giants in the Championship game Manning was taking punishment and if the defense had one or two more series they would've forced a turnover. One thing about the pass rush, it comes from everyone. With some new blitz packages watch out.

they had forced 2 turnovers...goldson just blew both of them up. they get 1 of the 2 and they win the game.
Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
By training camp Aldon Smith's episode will be in the rear view mirror. Let's hope he gets the message and stays cool. In the playoffs against top offensive lines the pass rush got better each quarter. Against the Giants in the Championship game Manning was taking punishment and if the defense had one or two more series they would've forced a turnover. One thing about the pass rush, it comes from everyone. With some new blitz packages watch out.

they had forced 2 turnovers...goldson just blew both of them up. they get 1 of the 2 and they win the game.

I can think of a hit by Brooks too and somehow that dayem ball fluttered and landed between three Niner defenders...plus the insta-call non-fumble. It just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

PS: No joke here - but Aldon needs to room with Justin Smith. He's going to be playing over him, next to him all year and the more they can bond, the better. Justin is the ULTIMATE professional and if Aldon wants to be the best, he needs to learn from the best, on and off the field.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I can think of a hit by Brooks too and somehow that dayem ball fluttered and landed between three Niner defenders...plus the insta-call non-fumble. It just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

PS: No joke here - but Aldon needs to room with Justin Smith. He's going to be playing over him, next to him all year and the more they can bond, the better. Justin is the ULTIMATE professional and if Aldon wants to be the best, he needs to learn from the best, on and off the field.

Non fumble call was painful! Fastest whistle in the west.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's fun rewatching all these highlights (watched every one):

  1. Hunter is a beast. He can run inside, be an every down back, is very slippery, always makes the first guy miss, amazing outlet for Alex, great at blitz pick up, shows great patience to hide behind blocks, explodes when he sees the hole and is by far, the best RB on pitch-outs. Excellent, excellent hands.
  2. OL - while we may struggle in short yardage, the RZ and in exotic blitz pick ups, this may be THE best OL out in space. Those toss-out runs are unstoppable.
  3. Miller - Miller may be the best blocking FG in the game. He is very very impressive and is even a secret weapon in the passing game.
  4. Ginn - he was way more valuable (I highlighted this for the NFCCG); he was actually a very solid WR last year, making some very critical plays for us with very few drops. But what he really meant to the offense was his 3rd down plays and speed. His speed alone forced DB's to play way off him and opened up enormous holes all years VD & Crabtree. The fly-sweep, I swear, could be run on every single play and I don't know how a defense could stop it especially with Ginn. He's not going anywhere (esp. coupled with his ST play). This year, Moss could add even more to this offense and you can see why we went after burners like AJ Jenkins, Manningham, etc. coupled with VD, Hunter & LMJ. Speed forces defenses to pay on their heels and forces more DB's on the field and less in the box.
  5. Williams - this kid is unstoppable in the slot and can play all three WR positions. He, like Hunter, are at full speed within one step and he has fantastic hands. He is as quick as he is fast.
  6. Culliver/Brock - man, these two have tremendous upside; look for even more improvement in year 2.
  7. Gore - when fresh, he is still a beast. Look for MANY touches to be shared with Hunter all year and more LMJ as the year progresses.
  8. Tempo/Culture of the Game - this is something I haven't seen one person highlight yet. But the game plan (and execution) we had actually dictated games. While we didn't have outstanding offensive statistics, guess what, neither did anyone else who played us (esp. in points). In short, we literally dictated every game. When we need to go to a spread, hurry-up, etc. we did. When we played close to the vest yet efficient, we did. I liken it to the Giants of the baseball. B/c of WHO the opposition is playing, most games are very low-scoring games. In general the NL is more pitching and less offense. Yet in the AL, it's opposite. I see this same mind-set when teams face us. A perfect example is the NFCCG. The short-minded fans will focus on the 1 for 13 on 3rd downs but nobody pays attention to the fact the Giants were 3 for 21.


PS: How many TD's were taken away from us last year? Geesh!

I think you are right. The whole team fed into the win, not just the offense. We set the tempo, we held the scoring down to our level, except in the New Orleans game and we won that one. Both defenses were outstanding in the championship game. We should have had two interceptions and a fumble recovery but we did not take advantage of our opportunities and the Giants got the turnover they needed to win the game.

In the championship game the defense was pounding Manning and the Giants offense. They went nowhere and our offense went nowhere so it was simply a game of who made teh first mistake, and we did and we lost. But Smith was just as good as Manning in that game. The championship game was not won by the QBs it was won on the Special teams. The two offenses were playing at the exact same level. That is why a total team effort is so important. With Ginn we very possible would have won that game on his presence alone. So Offense, Defense, Special Teams are all part of our winning formula.

No
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I can think of a hit by Brooks too and somehow that dayem ball fluttered and landed between three Niner defenders...plus the insta-call non-fumble. It just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

PS: No joke here - but Aldon needs to room with Justin Smith. He's going to be playing over him, next to him all year and the more they can bond, the better. Justin is the ULTIMATE professional and if Aldon wants to be the best, he needs to learn from the best, on and off the field.

Non fumble call was painful! Fastest whistle in the west.

It was so inconsistent. In the Saints game alone, we probably had two ripped-out fumbles that were at least 2 seconds longer than the insta-call. And b/c of that call, they got it right the next time...in the Superbowl (e.g. let the play play out and THEN reviewed it).
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's fun rewatching all these highlights (watched every one):

  1. Hunter is a beast. He can run inside, be an every down back, is very slippery, always makes the first guy miss, amazing outlet for Alex, great at blitz pick up, shows great patience to hide behind blocks, explodes when he sees the hole and is by far, the best RB on pitch-outs. Excellent, excellent hands.
  2. OL - while we may struggle in short yardage, the RZ and in exotic blitz pick ups, this may be THE best OL out in space. Those toss-out runs are unstoppable.
  3. Miller - Miller may be the best blocking FG in the game. He is very very impressive and is even a secret weapon in the passing game.
  4. Ginn - he was way more valuable (I highlighted this for the NFCCG); he was actually a very solid WR last year, making some very critical plays for us with very few drops. But what he really meant to the offense was his 3rd down plays and speed. His speed alone forced DB's to play way off him and opened up enormous holes all years VD & Crabtree. The fly-sweep, I swear, could be run on every single play and I don't know how a defense could stop it especially with Ginn. He's not going anywhere (esp. coupled with his ST play). This year, Moss could add even more to this offense and you can see why we went after burners like AJ Jenkins, Manningham, etc. coupled with VD, Hunter & LMJ. Speed forces defenses to pay on their heels and forces more DB's on the field and less in the box.
  5. Williams - this kid is unstoppable in the slot and can play all three WR positions. He, like Hunter, are at full speed within one step and he has fantastic hands. He is as quick as he is fast.
  6. Culliver/Brock - man, these two have tremendous upside; look for even more improvement in year 2.
  7. Gore - when fresh, he is still a beast. Look for MANY touches to be shared with Hunter all year and more LMJ as the year progresses.
  8. Tempo/Culture of the Game - this is something I haven't seen one person highlight yet. But the game plan (and execution) we had actually dictated games. While we didn't have outstanding offensive statistics, guess what, neither did anyone else who played us (esp. in points). In short, we literally dictated every game. When we need to go to a spread, hurry-up, etc. we did. When we played close to the vest yet efficient, we did. I liken it to the Giants of the MLB. B/c of the teams playing the Giants, most games are very low-scoring games. In general the NL is more pitching and less offense. Yet in the AL, it's opposite. I see this same mind-set when teams face us. A perfect example is the NFCCG. The short-minded fans will focus on the 1 for 13 on 3rd downs but nobody pays attention to the fact the Giants were 3 for 21. And aside from the crazy 4 TD's in under 4 minutes, even the Saints game was within our tempo/culture.


PS: How many TD's were taken away from us last year? Geesh!

I think you are right. The whole team fed into the win, not just the offense. We set the tempo, we held the scoring down to our level, except in the New Orleans game and we won that one. Both defenses were outstanding in the championship game. We should have had two interceptions and a fumble recovery but we did not take advantage of our opportunities and the Giants got the turnover they needed to win the game.

In the championship game the defense was pounding Manning and the Giants offense. They went nowhere and our offense went nowhere so it was simply a game of who made teh first mistake, and we did and we lost. But Smith was just as good as Manning in that game. The championship game was not won by the QBs it was won on the Special teams. The two offenses were playing at the exact same level. That is why a total team effort is so important. With Ginn we very possible would have won that game on his presence alone. So Offense, Defense, Special Teams are all part of our winning formula.

No

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and respond! And naturally, I agree with your points here as well ESPECIALLY when you look at the culture of the game rather than the stat line.
Originally posted by NCommand:
So true. With Aldon starting this year over Justin, teams will be forced to keep in extra blockers and swing linemen to that side (sound familiar Niner fans?) - this bodes VERY well for an already strong secondary. And THAT will also finally take away the double-teams from Brooks. Brooks/J.Smith were doubled all last year and had huge years anyhow. If McDonald stays healthy, Brooks and McDonald could have MONSTER years and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sopoaga one-gap penetrate more inside given all the attention the Smith's may get. We did a tremendous job collapsing the pocket from the outside but we need that NT to blow up the QB's step-up area too. When a QB can't step up, THAT'S when big plays happen (strips, big hits, INT's, knock-down passes, etc.). We already know Bowman is a pretty natural pass rusher and even Willis was great at penetrating and disrupting the QB on inside blitzes.

But really, this year will come down to health, backups such as Cam, Grant, etc. and equally important, scheme by Fangio. Now with a full offseason to install additional levels of pressure and coverage schemes, will Fangio take that next step (this has been in-question throughout his career)?

Either way, Fangio has ALL the talent to lead one of the best defenses ever and they have a VERY sour taste left over from last season. Guys like Justin Smith, Brooks, Willis and many others were already working out two days after the NFCCG. They want this...don't underestimate heart!

BTW: Thanks for the video highlights!

This for sure. Can't wait to see this team get on the field and do damage to opposing offenses all season long.
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's fun rewatching all these highlights (watched every one):

  1. Hunter is a beast. He can run inside, be an every down back, is very slippery, always makes the first guy miss, amazing outlet for Alex, great at blitz pick up, shows great patience to hide behind blocks, explodes when he sees the hole and is by far, the best RB on pitch-outs. Excellent, excellent hands.
  2. OL - while we may struggle in short yardage, the RZ and in exotic blitz pick ups, this may be THE best OL out in space. Those toss-out runs are unstoppable.
  3. Miller - Miller may be the best blocking FG in the game. He is very very impressive and is even a secret weapon in the passing game.
  4. Ginn - he was way more valuable (I highlighted this for the NFCCG); he was actually a very solid WR last year, making some very critical plays for us with very few drops. But what he really meant to the offense was his 3rd down plays and speed. His speed alone forced DB's to play way off him and opened up enormous holes all years VD & Crabtree. The fly-sweep, I swear, could be run on every single play and I don't know how a defense could stop it especially with Ginn. He's not going anywhere (esp. coupled with his ST play). This year, Moss could add even more to this offense and you can see why we went after burners like AJ Jenkins, Manningham, etc. coupled with VD, Hunter & LMJ. Speed forces defenses to pay on their heels and forces more DB's on the field and less in the box.
  5. Williams - this kid is unstoppable in the slot and can play all three WR positions. He, like Hunter, are at full speed within one step and he has fantastic hands. He is as quick as he is fast.
  6. Culliver/Brock - man, these two have tremendous upside; look for even more improvement in year 2.
  7. Gore - when fresh, he is still a beast. Look for MANY touches to be shared with Hunter all year and more LMJ as the year progresses.
  8. Tempo/Culture of the Game - this is something I haven't seen one person highlight yet. But the game plan (and execution) we had actually dictated games. While we didn't have outstanding offensive statistics, guess what, neither did anyone else who played us (esp. in points). In short, we literally dictated every game. When we need to go to a spread, hurry-up, etc. we did. When we played close to the vest yet efficient, we did. I liken it to the Giants of the baseball. B/c of WHO the opposition is playing, most games are very low-scoring games. In general the NL is more pitching and less offense. Yet in the AL, it's opposite. I see this same mind-set when teams face us. A perfect example is the NFCCG. The short-minded fans will focus on the 1 for 13 on 3rd downs but nobody pays attention to the fact the Giants were 3 for 21.


PS: How many TD's were taken away from us last year? Geesh!

NCommand, great post.....You are right on the mark on a lot of these.

I can't wait to see more Hunter this year. The guy has a great burst and his blocking got so much better as the season improved. I remember Rathman going nuts on the sidelines when Hunter decleated some linebacker. You gotta love a coach that celebrates more over great blocks than Td's.

What a great pick last year in Miller, great fullback, think of him with a whole offseason to develop his game. He has a lot of athletic ability, he will be used more this year.

The Championship game.......I didn't see the 3 for 21 mark on 3rd downs. Once the niners d adjusted in the second half, we dominated. I give Eli full credit because we beat the living hell out of him in the second half. The biggest crime was the fumble that wasn't called in the last two minutes of the game.

But this year.......the Niners will be better because the Offense will be better so that will make our d fresher. Also the D can be even more aggressive when they know the Offense can score.

I'm hoping the Pass Rush can improve. With aldon smith full time and the defense with a whole year with the same d......should be great.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
hell yeah

Aldon got stabbed like 9 times yo

He didnt get stabbed 9 times.


He sacked the knife 9 times
Originally posted by pelos21:

Aquí hay una cosa que a mí me preocupa, en primer lugar la vulgaridad.

Tenemos que hablar ingles por que hay persona aquí quiénes no pueden leer castellano.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's fun rewatching all these highlights (watched every one):

  1. Hunter is a beast. He can run inside, be an every down back, is very slippery, always makes the first guy miss, amazing outlet for Alex, great at blitz pick up, shows great patience to hide behind blocks, explodes when he sees the hole and is by far, the best RB on pitch-outs. Excellent, excellent hands.
  2. OL - while we may struggle in short yardage, the RZ and in exotic blitz pick ups, this may be THE best OL out in space. Those toss-out runs are unstoppable.
  3. Miller - Miller may be the best blocking FG in the game. He is very very impressive and is even a secret weapon in the passing game.
  4. Ginn - he was way more valuable (I highlighted this for the NFCCG); he was actually a very solid WR last year, making some very critical plays for us with very few drops. But what he really meant to the offense was his 3rd down plays and speed. His speed alone forced DB's to play way off him and opened up enormous holes all years VD & Crabtree. The fly-sweep, I swear, could be run on every single play and I don't know how a defense could stop it especially with Ginn. He's not going anywhere (esp. coupled with his ST play). This year, Moss could add even more to this offense and you can see why we went after burners like AJ Jenkins, Manningham, etc. coupled with VD, Hunter & LMJ. Speed forces defenses to pay on their heels and forces more DB's on the field and less in the box.
  5. Williams - this kid is unstoppable in the slot and can play all three WR positions. He, like Hunter, are at full speed within one step and he has fantastic hands. He is as quick as he is fast.
  6. Culliver/Brock - man, these two have tremendous upside; look for even more improvement in year 2.
  7. Gore - when fresh, he is still a beast. Look for MANY touches to be shared with Hunter all year and more LMJ as the year progresses.
  8. Tempo/Culture of the Game - this is something I haven't seen one person highlight yet. But the game plan (and execution) we had actually dictated games. While we didn't have outstanding offensive statistics, guess what, neither did anyone else who played us (esp. in points). In short, we literally dictated every game. When we need to go to a spread, hurry-up, etc. we did. When we played close to the vest yet efficient, we did. I liken it to the Giants of the baseball. B/c of WHO the opposition is playing, most games are very low-scoring games. In general the NL is more pitching and less offense. Yet in the AL, it's opposite. I see this same mind-set when teams face us. A perfect example is the NFCCG. The short-minded fans will focus on the 1 for 13 on 3rd downs but nobody pays attention to the fact the Giants were 3 for 21.


PS: How many TD's were taken away from us last year? Geesh!

NCommand, great post.....You are right on the mark on a lot of these.

I can't wait to see more Hunter this year. The guy has a great burst and his blocking got so much better as the season improved. I remember Rathman going nuts on the sidelines when Hunter decleated some linebacker. You gotta love a coach that celebrates more over great blocks than Td's.

What a great pick last year in Miller, great fullback, think of him with a whole offseason to develop his game. He has a lot of athletic ability, he will be used more this year.

The Championship game.......I didn't see the 3 for 21 mark on 3rd downs. Once the niners d adjusted in the second half, we dominated. I give Eli full credit because we beat the living hell out of him in the second half. The biggest crime was the fumble that wasn't called in the last two minutes of the game.

But this year.......the Niners will be better because the Offense will be better so that will make our d fresher. Also the D can be even more aggressive when they know the Offense can score.

I'm hoping the Pass Rush can improve. With aldon smith full time and the defense with a whole year with the same d......should be great.

Thanks so much! I'm very excited about the fact that we have a FO who is setting our future up nicely, to be a dynasty again...you can see that guys like LMJ, Jenkins & Looney are brought in as developmental starters for the next two plus years. This year we'll see more of Culliver & Brock and the DL, Boone, Kilgore, etc. Our RB's will end up being Hunter and LMJ and we'll still acquire a bruiser like Jacobs or another. I'm equally excited about the coaches who now know how to develop players properly and bring them along slowly (Brooks, Aldon, Culliver, Brock, Brown, Hunter, Williams, etc.). I think the thing I might like best is that this team understands today's game...going with smaller, but quicker, faster coverage S's, more DB's, emphasis on pass rush, tons of speed on the outside and playmakers, incorporating some "spread" into the WCO more, yet still stays with the fundamentals (best tackling team in the league, ball-control and security, etc.).

Our future's so bright, we gotta wear
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thanks so much! I'm very excited about the fact that we have a FO who is setting our future up nicely, to be a dynasty again...you can see that guys like LMJ, Jenkins & Looney are brought in as developmental starters for the next two plus years. This year we'll see more of Culliver & Brock and the DL, Boone, Kilgore, etc. Our RB's will end up being Hunter and LMJ and we'll still acquire a bruiser like Jacobs or another. I'm equally excited about the coaches who now know how to develop players properly and bring them along slowly (Brooks, Aldon, Culliver, Brock, Brown, Hunter, Williams, etc.). I think the thing I might like best is that this team understands today's game...going with smaller, but quicker, faster coverage S's, more DB's, emphasis on pass rush, tons of speed on the outside and playmakers, incorporating some "spread" into the WCO more, yet still stays with the fundamentals (best tackling team in the league, ball-control and security, etc.).

Our future's so bright, we gotta wear
Terrific post!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home