There are 282 users in the forums

Our Pass Rush will be even more dangerous next year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If Aldon survives to the start of the season and stays out of jail also it might be.....
Originally posted by NCommand:
So true. With Aldon starting this year over Justin, teams will be forced to keep in extra blockers and swing linemen to that side (sound familiar Niner fans?) - this bodes VERY well for an already strong secondary. And THAT will also finally take away the double-teams from Brooks. Brooks/J.Smith were doubled all last year and had huge years anyhow. If McDonald stays healthy, Brooks and McDonald could have MONSTER years and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sopoaga one-gap penetrate more inside given all the attention the Smith's may get. We did a tremendous job collapsing the pocket from the outside but we need that NT to blow up the QB's step-up area too. When a QB can't step up, THAT'S when big plays happen (strips, big hits, INT's, knock-down passes, etc.). We already know Bowman is a pretty natural pass rusher and even Willis was great at penetrating and disrupting the QB on inside blitzes.

But really, this year will come down to health, backups such as Cam, Grant, etc. and equally important, scheme by Fangio. Now with a full offseason to install additional levels of pressure and coverage schemes, will Fangio take that next step (this has been in-question throughout his career)?

Either way, Fangio has ALL the talent to lead one of the best defenses ever and they have a VERY sour taste left over from last season. Guys like Justin Smith, Brooks, Willis and many others were already working out two days after the NFCCG. They want this...don't underestimate heart!

Great post! There is every possibility that the defense will actually be better this year and perhaps be the best in the NFL--both in reality and statistically.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If Aldon survives to the start of the season and stays out of jail also it might be.....

the team will just issue a generic statement saying we are glad he is ok. this coach and front office may have put together a good team but they are terrible at public relations and damage control
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

the team will just issue a generic statement saying we are glad he is ok. this coach and front office may have put together a good team but they are terrible at public relations and damage control

Yeah they need to manage him and manage the situation better. The one and only thing Singletary was good at was handing young guys with situations like this. He could handle this. He couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. But he could handle a young guy gone stray. Harbaugh is a great coach but I'm not sure he knows how to handle this?

Aldon really need somebody to sit down and have a long talke with him now. It's time. I let the first one slide (DUI). I figured a young guy mistake. But you he is getting stabbed! At parties where there are multiple stabbings and shootings too! Obviously this is a young guy on the wrong track. Not necessarily a bad person. Just terrible choices. And needing a sense of direction.
Reporter: 'How's Aldon Smith...? Has he recovered from the remnants of the stabbing?"

Harb: 'Aldon ... Yeah, Aldon is in excellent health. They removed a couple of blades from his back and groin. He's in good health In all possible ways. Never better'

Reporter: 'I meant psychological remnants... Does he seemed OK... Is he doing the right thing.'

Harb: 'Aldon Smith is an outstanding young man. Super-- super -- personality. He has the type of character that I would let him babysit my daughters. Protective. Protective.'
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Reporter: 'How's Aldon Smith...? Has he recovered from the remnants of the stabbing?"

Harb: 'Aldon ... Yeah, Aldon is in excellent health. They removed a couple of blades from his back and groin. He's in good health In all possible ways. Never better'

Reporter: 'I meant psychological remnants... Does he seemed OK... Is he doing the right thing.'

Harb: 'Aldon Smith is an outstanding young man. Super-- super -- personality. He has the type of character that I would let him babysit my daughters. Protective. Protective.'
i guess i have to give them credit. when bad things happen, they tend to circle the wagons and control the information that goes out. in a odd back handed compliment, i guess that is a credit to them
Yeah if our guy quits getting stabbed...
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by niner4ever12:
let's hope aldon doesn't get suspended.

I doubt he gets suspended as a result of this particular incident. Having parties isn't against the rules, getting stabbed is obviously not. The only debatable thing is a possible lack of good judgement, and when you combine that with the dui, maybe he gets something. Who knows.

Injuries are the only thing that could prevent our pass rush from being better than last year.

can't guys get suspended now without being convicted of anything? (fall out from Pacman Jones always getting in trouble)
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

i guess i have to give them credit. when bad things happen, they tend to circle the wagons and control the information that goes out. in a odd back handed compliment, i guess that is a credit to them

i'm thinking it's inevitable that one day Harbs is going to have the press conference blowup of the century.
Can't wait to see our defense knifing through opponents.

Originally posted by Allx9er:
Can't wait to see our defense knifing through opponents.

Gonna slice em up and shoot holes in their pride!
It's fun rewatching all these highlights (watched every one):

1. Hunter is a beast. He can run inside, be an every down back, is very slippery, always makes the first guy miss, amazing outlet for Alex, great at blitz pick up, shows great patience to hide behind blocks, explodes when he sees the hole and is by far, the best RB on pitch-outs. Excellent, excellent hands.
  2. OL - while we may struggle in short yardage, the RZ and in exotic blitz pick ups, this may be THE best OL out in space. Those toss-out runs are unstoppable.
  3. Miller - Miller may be the best blocking FG in the game. He is very very impressive and is even a secret weapon in the passing game.
  4. Ginn - he was way more valuable (I highlighted this for the NFCCG); he was actually a very solid WR last year, making some very critical plays for us with very few drops. But what he really meant to the offense was his 3rd down plays and speed. His speed alone forced DB's to play way off him and opened up enormous holes all years VD & Crabtree. The fly-sweep, I swear, could be run on every single play and I don't know how a defense could stop it especially with Ginn. He's not going anywhere (esp. coupled with his ST play). This year, Moss could add even more to this offense and you can see why we went after burners like AJ Jenkins, Manningham, etc. coupled with VD, Hunter & LMJ. Speed forces defenses to pay on their heels and forces more DB's on the field and less in the box.
  5. Williams - this kid is unstoppable in the slot and can play all three WR positions. He, like Hunter, are at full speed within one step and he has fantastic hands. He is as quick as he is fast.
  6. Culliver/Brock - man, these two have tremendous upside; look for even more improvement in year 2.
  7. Gore - when fresh, he is still a beast. Look for MANY touches to be shared with Hunter all year and more LMJ as the year progresses.
  8. Tempo/Culture of the Game - this is something I haven't seen one person highlight yet. But the game plan (and execution) we had actually dictated games. While we didn't have outstanding offensive statistics, guess what, neither did anyone else who played us (esp. in points). In short, we literally dictated every game. When we need to go to a spread, hurry-up, etc. we did. When we played close to the vest yet efficient, we did. I liken it to the Giants of the baseball. B/c of WHO the opposition is playing, most games are very low-scoring games. In general the NL is more pitching and less offense. Yet in the AL, it's opposite. I see this same mind-set when teams face us. A perfect example is the NFCCG. The short-minded fans will focus on the 1 for 13 on 3rd downs but nobody pays attention to the fact the Giants were 3 for 21.

PS: How many TD's were taken away from us last year? Geesh!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM ]
So true. With Aldon starting this year over Justin, teams will be forced to keep in extra blockers and swing linemen to that side (sound familiar Niner fans?) - this bodes VERY well for an already strong secondary. And THAT will also finally take away the double-teams from Brooks. Brooks/J.Smith were doubled all last year and had huge years anyhow. If McDonald stays healthy, Brooks and McDonald could have MONSTER years and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sopoaga one-gap penetrate more inside given all the attention the Smith's may get. We did a tremendous job collapsing the pocket from the outside but we need that NT to blow up the QB's step-up area too. When a QB can't step up, THAT'S when big plays happen (strips, big hits, INT's, knock-down passes, etc.). We already know Bowman is a pretty natural pass rusher and even Willis was great at penetrating and disrupting the QB on inside blitzes.

But really, this year will come down to health, backups such as Cam, Grant, etc. and equally important, scheme by Fangio. Now with a full offseason to install additional levels of pressure and coverage schemes, will Fangio take that next step (this has been in-question throughout his career)?

Either way, Fangio has ALL the talent to lead one of the best defenses ever and they have a VERY sour taste left over from last season. Guys like Justin Smith, Brooks, Willis and many others were already working out two days after the NFCCG. They want this...don't underestimate heart!

BTW: Thanks for the video highlights!

Aldon Starting over Justin? You mean next to him, right? Parys is the one who's going to lose snaps.

That said, I think our pass rush is going to get better. Amazingly, our coverage teams look to be improved as well..which provides for more coverage sacks. I expect that we will have more sacks but fewer turnovers this season.

Overall, I think our defense has improved and if our offense improves as much as I think it might, they'll be on the field even less..which means everyone is fresh. Could very well end up with the stingiest defense in the NFL next season.

PS: How many TD's were taken away from us last year? Geesh!

49ersalldaway had this answer broken down pretty well. IIRC, I could remember 7.. but I think it was more like 11 total.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

BTW: Thanks for the video highlights!

Aldon Starting over Justin? You mean next to him, right? Parys is the one who's going to lose snaps.

That said, I think our pass rush is going to get better. Amazingly, our coverage teams look to be improved as well..which provides for more coverage sacks. I expect that we will have more sacks but fewer turnovers this season.

Overall, I think our defense has improved and if our offense improves as much as I think it might, they'll be on the field even less..which means everyone is fresh. Could very well end up with the stingiest defense in the NFL next season.

Sorry, meant "over" him as the starting WILL OLB "over" Justin at the DE in the 3-4.

As to your points, no question. We had a lot of forced fumbles last year that didn't bounce our way AND we dropped quite a few INT's as well.

It's still the NFL so who knows...anything can happen. We could have bad misfortune like the Rams last year but either way, we have so much depth and experience now, the FO has done a tremendous job of setting us up for a great season either way no matter how the Cards fall .
Share 49ersWebzone